2013 JSW Bent Wheel, Covered By CPO?

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I just bought a CPO Jetta Sportwagen with 23k miles on it. Having the tires replaced at a local shop, just got a call that one wheel is "severely bent beyond repair". I noticed on the test drive that there was a sound between 55-65mph that sounded like window buffeting. Looked at the tires, they were the originals from 2013, and one had a bubble. I chalked the noise up to this, knowing that I planned to replace the tires anyway, and didn't want to deal with the cheap tires I knew they would put on there if I had asked. I'm now kicking myself for not having them look into the noise. I've only driven the car 120 miles. Home from the dealer and once to work and back. Anyway, is this something covered by my CPO warranty? Or did I miss my chance to have this replaced?

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
What did your selling dealer say?
Just got off the phone with their service department, they said it is not covered because the damage is due to an "outside factor". Ugh. I'm going to send my salesperson an email to see if there is anything they can do in good will, even if it's a discount on a new wheel. Not very happy, but also feel like part of it is on me because I didn't say anything at the time of purchase.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yeah, I had same problem. 2015 Passat and still vibrates at 75 mph so I keep it at 70 or under and 2014 JSW was smooth on 16” bioline wheels on oem crap conti’s then I got new tires and vibration started and gotcha! Here goes the bioline wheels to the recycle yard. They are notoriously for being bent like theres no tomorrow like my old 2011 JSW. Went for steelies and problem solved. I drive a lot of miles and Orlando roads arent too friendly to the bioline wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, waiting to see if the dealer can do anything for me. If not, there are a couple of sets locally that I will probably pick up hoping that at least one of them is good

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
If I were you, replace them asap because its the summertime and they will explode. Yep one exploded on me in old 2011 and left massive black marks all over the body, boy I was so upset but it cleared away with wd40 or something similar i cant recall as its been years and carwash immediately.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
well that's why the car was in the shop to begin with, to have the tires replaced. I already have a new set. They called and told me the wheel is too bent and that they wouldn't recommend putting a new tire on it

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect timing. I am glad you are taking it taken care of asap. I hope they will give you some discount.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, I'm really hoping they can at least help me out with getting a new one. would be nice! oh well, s**t happens!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
My CPO car had new tires on it. They are goodyears that I don't love and wouldn't buy but at least they were new. I'm surprised they wouldn't have replaced the tires from 2013, before you even looked at it but I guess dealers handle CPO stuff differently. Unfortunately, my guess is that you are SOL.

On the plus side if you were willing to pay for new tires yourself a used rim probalby only ads $100 to $150. There used to be lots of Portos on the local craigslist during dieselgate, but I see zero now. Looks like a few to choose from (i.e. gamble on) on ebay.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Yeah, I had same problem. 2015 Passat and still vibrates at 75 mph so I keep it at 70 or under and 2014 JSW was smooth on 16” bioline wheels on oem crap conti’s then I got new tires and vibration started and gotcha! Here goes the bioline wheels to the recycle yard. They are notoriously for being bent like theres no tomorrow like my old 2011 JSW. Went for steelies and problem solved. I drive a lot of miles and Orlando roads arent too friendly to the bioline wheels.

Hmmm, I have a vibration on my car that drives me crazy. I wonder if its a bent rim. Seems hard to believe that 16" rims could bend so easily.

I don't understand the story, the 16" biolines were smooth on your new JSW on old tires but vibrated with new tires? Are you sure you didn't have a bad tire?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep they still vibrate but much less. Thanks to old bioline for ruining my tires. Ill swallow it as long it vibrates less. More tolerable than before, like my teeth was gonna shatter by chattering from the vibration (not literal but you get the idea). It was bad. Whoever owned this car was hard on rims in NJ. Rust free car which I am rather surprised, lady owned.

Last edited:

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
My CPO car had new tires on it. They are goodyears that I don't love and wouldn't buy but at least they were new. I'm surprised they wouldn't have replaced the tires from 2013, before you even looked at it but I guess dealers handle CPO stuff differently. Unfortunately, my guess is that you are SOL.

On the plus side if you were willing to pay for new tires yourself a used rim probalby only ads $100 to $150. There used to be lots of Portos on the local craigslist during dieselgate, but I see zero now. Looks like a few to choose from (i.e. gamble on) on ebay.
Yeah, there is a local set for $400. I'm waiting to see what the dealer can do for me, but if it's nothing I will probably grab those. Buying used is always a gamble, but hopefully one of the four is good enough to put on there. I remember seeing lots of Portos when dieselgate first broke! But now they seem harder to come by. I also found this:

https://www.autorimshop.com/volkswa...aAgy1EALw_wcB#product_tabs_description_tabbed

it claims to be a refinished OEM wheel but seems kinda sketchy... idk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
That link looks promising. Google up that company to me sure tons positive reviews. The price is reasonable because I am sure the brand new oem Rim is $309 that’s why I opted for steelies via tirerack.com plus 4 new tires.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
That link looks promising. Google up that company to me sure tons positive reviews. The price is reasonable because I am sure the brand new oem Rim is $309 that’s why I opted for steelies via tirerack.com plus 4 new tires.

Ended up going with the link above. Back and forth with the dealer ended up with them wanting to look at the car, which is a 4 hour round trip for me. I decided that taking a day off from work to do that wasn't worth it just for them to tell me that it's my fault... So we'll see! Hopefully a decent wheel

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome. Keep us posted.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Last edited:

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought a set of wheels from these guys and actually just had them installed on my Golf at the VW dealer this morning. They did seem kinda sketchy lol, but I'm pretty happy with them.
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that the color matches the factory wheels ok, but I guess we shall see! How were they in terms of speed? I actually ordered through their Amazon storefront, same exact company, but I can get 5% back with my Amazon card haha. Did they come as described? OEM and not replicas? Thanks!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that the color matches the factory wheels ok, but I guess we shall see! How were they in terms of speed? I actually ordered through their Amazon storefront, same exact company, but I can get 5% back with my Amazon card haha. Did they come as described? OEM and not replicas? Thanks!
Shipping was pretty quick. I'm in Canada, but had the wheels shipped to Maine where I picked them up. I ordered them on a Sunday (I think) and I'm pretty sure they shipped them out the next day. They came from Fort Wayne IN according to UPS and they were in Maine by Thursday, so I was pretty happy with that.

I can't comment on the color matching as I bought a complete set of 17" Salamancas, so they were all the same.

They are definitely OEM VW wheels, and they were definitely refinished. Looking closely it's pretty obvious, but they didn't do a bad job. I wouldn't call it 100% perfect, but they are pretty good. I believe they're powder coated...at least it looks and feels like powder coating (Rather than paint). You can tell in a couple spots around the edges. There are a couple spots where you can see dust in the finish.

Packaging was very good, no worries there.

I actually just had them put on the car this morning with a new set of Pirellis, and they balanced up nicely and they're smooth running down the road.

My initial thoughts were that they were sketchy...I tried calling them but got a call center that knew nothing. Overall however I'm happy with the purchase so far.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Shipping was pretty quick. I'm in Canada, but had the wheels shipped to Maine where I picked them up. I ordered them on a Sunday (I think) and I'm pretty sure they shipped them out the next day. They came from Fort Wayne IN according to UPS and they were in Maine by Thursday, so I was pretty happy with that.
I can't comment on the color matching as I bought a complete set of 17" Salamancas, so they were all the same.
They are definitely OEM VW wheels, and they were definitely refinished. Looking closely it's pretty obvious, but they didn't do a bad job. I wouldn't call it 100% perfect, but they are pretty good. I believe they're powder coated...at least it looks and feels like powder coating (Rather than paint). You can tell in a couple spots around the edges. There are a couple spots where you can see dust in the finish.
Packaging was very good, no worries there.
I actually just had them put on the car this morning with a new set of Pirellis, and they balanced up nicely and they're smooth running down the road.
My initial thoughts were that they were sketchy...I tried calling them but got a call center that knew nothing. Overall however I'm happy with the purchase so far.
Awesome! Sounds like a good experience! I actually got a shipping notification for mine right after my last post. Says the wheel should be here Monday. Having it shipped directly to the shop my car is at, but I trust his judgement. Not a huge concern about the finish, as long as it's a true OEM wheel, which it sounds like it will be! Thanks for your input on this! Glad it worked out nicely!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Awesome! Sounds like a good experience! I actually got a shipping notification for mine right after my last post. Says the wheel should be here Monday. Having it shipped directly to the shop my car is at, but I trust his judgement. Not a huge concern about the finish, as long as it's a true OEM wheel, which it sounds like it will be! Thanks for your input on this! Glad it worked out nicely!
I feel guilty for spending so much on a set of wheels, but I've had such bad experiences buying used wheels I'm trying really hard not to...lol. I passed up on a couple sets of Portos and other OEM wheels locally because of scuffs and scratches, and it seems like every time I've purchased a set of 4 rims in the past, even if they look mint, one of them will be bent somewhere...somehow...the roads are just that bad here.

I have no complaints with these guys so far, but I was a little apprehensive about it initially...lol. In any case, I'm all good for now. Ask me again in a year and we'll see how the finish is holding up;).

Good luck!

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
I feel guilty for spending so much on a set of wheels, but I've had such bad experiences buying used wheels I'm trying really hard not to...lol. I passed up on a couple sets of Portos and other OEM wheels locally because of scuffs and scratches, and it seems like every time I've purchased a set of 4 rims in the past, even if they look mint, one of them will be bent somewhere...somehow...the roads are just that bad here.
I have no complaints with these guys so far, but I was a little apprehensive about it initially...lol. In any case, I'm all good for now. Ask me again in a year and we'll see how the finish is holding up;).
Good luck!
I've had similar experiences with wheel purchases! Roads are pretty unforgiving here in New Hampshire as well. In fact, the last set of wheels I bought (winter steelies for my Honda) were all bent, which I was informed of upon having the tires mounted. Oh well! I'm hoping to have a straight set after this is all said and done! Nothing is more annoying to me than a vibration on the highway. Yes, let's hope the finish holds up. I would imagine that if they are indeed powder coated they should hold up pretty well.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
well that's why the car was in the shop to begin with, to have the tires replaced. I already have a new set. They called and told me the wheel is too bent and that they wouldn't recommend putting a new tire on it

Were the tires being replaced due to wear and/or defect, or just a desire to replace them with something else.

My understanding is that CPO should ensure that the tires are still in good serviceable condition at the time of sale.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Were the tires being replaced due to wear and/or defect, or just a desire to replace them with something else.

My understanding is that CPO should ensure that the tires are still in good serviceable condition at the time of sale.
Yeah the tires were being replaced out of desire for something better! I will run the car at autocross and drive fairly aggressively (at least when safe to). So I much prefer a stickier tire than the standard economy tires!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tsimon325

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Auto
Problems w/wheels on CPO Golf

I was just shopping for CPO TDI buyback cars. At one VW dealership (who specializes in retrofitted TDI buybacks) all their CPO TDI's had replacement tires. I googled the brand, basically a $58 junk tire, the cheapest the dealer could get their hands on. Not a deal breaker, but something to consider, in my mind, might need 4 new tires in 15k miles or so, maybe not, but a gamble for sure.

I wound up buying from a different dealership, and here's the kick in the ass...

I test drive a 2013 Golf TDI, it might be the car for me if we can work a deal. I do a thorough walk around looking for issues (it's used, once you bought it, you own it) The tires are original, only 30k on the car, rims look great, a small nick in the paint here, a parking bumper scrape under the front valance, nothing I can't live with.

They try to work me over, tried bait-n-switch price, tried to sneak in a $2500 service contract (not my first rodeo) but we eventually work a deal. They say they need to 'bring the car around back to detail it'. Not sure why, the thing is super clean already.

An hour goes buy, we'd been at the dealership for for 5hrs by now, I climb in my new ride and drive off, meet my wife for dinner, go home and sleep.

The next morning, I walk out to admire my new-to-me used car purchase, and I notice right away that 3 out of 4 alloy wheels is curb rashed and gouged, one tire sidewall has chunks missing like a medium speed curb hit.

I mean, I looked specifically and carefully at all 4 tires and wheels before negotiating a deal. Guess which wheel is pristine? Yep, driver's side front, the only one the customer is going to see when you hand him the keys one final time.

I know what happened, during 'detail', they took it around back, and switched out the nicer tires and almost perfect factory wheels for another beat up set! The salesman told me they try to do 2-3 used TDI Golfs /month. Talk about shady m**herFu**ers.

I'm still trying to work it out with the sales and service manager, who "Can't imagine how that could possibly have happened!" yeaaaaaaah, riiiiiiiiight..... :mad: