Any Reason NOT to buy a 2012?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There are guys making various tuning products for all of the commonrail cars - nothing Passat specific yet. I think most of us are waiting on the warranty before venturing into that territory.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Don't mind him. He's like that to anyone that doesn't agree with HIM. There is a manufacturer out there with a DPF-free downpipe for the Golf, Jetta, Sportwagen, but not the Passats. Much of our exhaust system is different so it will not work. But, I'm sure it's just a matter of time ...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2458313&postcount=2

Per the Forum Rules , specifically:
Quote:
[7]Do not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any illegal activity on the forums. Linking to locations that deal with any such activity are also forbidden.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
5 years/60,000 miles (whichever occurs first) Powertrain Limited Warranty. Most are waiting past this time for engine tuning. The emmisions systems may have an even longer one.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
The Chevy Cruze diesel will be out soon.. Checked out a Grand Cherokee CRD with the 8sp trans.. Really nice.

I did an engine test stand for GM that went into their powertrain world HQ and we tested a new, smaller (4.6L I believe) clean diesel for the half ton trucks that they spent 100 million in developing only to see the program get cancelled in bankrupcy. I hear its going to be re-instated any time and could get great MPG. (for a full size truck). I am amazed at all the engines they have. They must have 60 different engines from around the world in that place.. Gas, Diesel.. Pretty wild. Heck when I was in Toluca Mexico GM still produces a gas engine with a carb and distributor.. Go figure.

The big 3 all have diesels, and do surveys frequently whether it would be profitable to sell them here or not. THe anwser is usually no. Americans hate diesels. All they think about are old trucks blowing black smoke in their face. That and fuel is more expensive, and marketing showing how the gas cars are getting 40mpg(cough)

It is starting to change though with the Cruze.. We shall see what happens.

Sorry to thredjack!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The Chevy Cruze diesel will be out soon.. Checked out a Grand Cherokee CRD with the 8sp trans.. Really nice.

It is starting to change though with the Cruze.. We shall see what happens.

Sorry to thredjack!
The Cruze that they've been talking about for a few years and still haven't delivered? Where is it? I want to drive one!

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Or the Tiguan TDI we've heard rumors about now in the NA market... now that Tennessee is up and running full speed. That's one I'd like to see.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Or the Tiguan TDI we've heard rumors about now in the NA market... now that Tennessee is up and running full speed. That's one I'd like to see.
Yeah a Tiguan TDI would be pretty sweet - perhaps sweet enough to extract more money from us. :eek:

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
I would love a Tiguan TDI... I did hear they are supposed to be bring an all wheel drive sportwagen to the US next year.. TDI? WOuld be nice.

The Cruze Eco D as I think they were going to call it here is all over Europe, with a couple different powertrains. They dont seem to be in a hurry to release it here. Its a hard sell, when the window sticker on a Cruze Eco says 28cty 42hwy and if you look at a Jetta TDI its rated at 30/42. (I know they get alot better) Its the way the goofy govt. does fuel ratings. The average consumers sees this and says why buy a diesel for 2-4K more??? THat and VW sold about 31K jetta TDIs last year in America, GM sold 230K gas Cruze's.

Id like to see it though. They have the technology to compete. Just has to make financial sense for them to do it. If they sell 30K a year its almost not worth it...

Someday I am going to get a trailer.. Hoping to pull it with a Grand Cherokee CRD or a Small diesel truck.

Until then, cant wait for my Passat!!

MarkG

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, Metallic Gray/Black
I know that these post can go off on a tangent sometimes but let me tell you about my experience.

I tried to buy a 2012 from all my local dealers in Temple, Texas and they all wanted more the MSRP. Thanks to this board I was able to find a fair dealer in Dallas and purchased my TDI from there.

My car is the best vehicle I have ever owned (and I am 48yrs old and have owned 13 vehicles) the ride, drive train and options are incredible. Many of my co-workers own Audi's and BMW's and they do not talk about their rides like VW TDI owners do.

If you are on the ledge take the leap, you cannot go wrong. I shopped for 6 months and the Passat was the absolute best bang for the buck I could find. The $200 a month on gas I save makes me smile. Let us know what you do in the end.

Welcome to the board. While I lurk more then post, there are some great folks here and their advice is priceless

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Welcome, MarkG! Glad you were able to get a good deal on a '12!

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
I can't believe more people still aren't looking at small diesel technology.
i think part of it is the cost of diesel over gas. the government should tax diesel differently for small diesel and large diesel vehicles. in europe, diesel is about $0.30 (euro) cheaper per liter. So about $1.40+ cheaper per gallon at about $8 per gallon.

the other part is the stigma that diesels continue to face and the last thing is, diesels arent trendy like a "hybrid" for some stupid reason.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
i think part of it is the cost of diesel over gas. the government should tax diesel differently for small diesel and large diesel vehicles. in europe, diesel is about $0.30 (euro) cheaper per liter. So about $1.40+ cheaper per gallon at about $8 per gallon.

the other part is the stigma that diesels continue to face and the last thing is, diesels arent trendy like a "hybrid" for some stupid reason.
I think this is right on.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

It's difficult in a 30 or 60 second commercial to convince the public that they ought to be looking at cost per mile instead of miles per gallon. Hybrid is the current "yuppie" phase that shows everyone how much you care about the planet.

The only way that you could charge different tax rates is to have totally separate filling stations. Which may not be a good thing for the CRD engines.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr

A LOT of people don't give them a second thought beyond price. I've noticed it's extremely hard to get some people to see the percentage comparison even comparing straight EPA estimates, nevermind the EPA estimates being pretty under rated for diesels and that the overall combined MPG will usually be much higher then a similar rated gasser. All the see is diesel costs more and only gets a a few more MPG then say a 35mpg hwy rated car. They cant make the connection that .30/gal more @ around 3.50-4.00 is less then 10% difference there, but even at EPA rating you are getting more then 10% better mileage.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
A LOT of people don't give them a second thought beyond price. I've noticed it's extremely hard to get some people to see the percentage comparison even comparing straight EPA estimates, nevermind the EPA estimates being pretty under rated for diesels and that the overall combined MPG will usually be much higher then a similar rated gasser. All the see is diesel costs more and only gets a a few more MPG then say a 35mpg hwy rated car. They cant make the connection that .30/gal more @ around 3.50-4.00 is less then 10% difference there, but even at EPA rating you are getting more then 10% better mileage.
Yeah, when I told my mom I was considering a diesel, she asked me about 5 times whether I was sure the overall fuel cost would be less. I used the example of 15% costlier fuel vs. 65% better mileage (the EPA estimate for my Accord is a surprisingly awful 22 MPG overall), but she still seemed unconvinced. Nice that she's still looking out for me, I suppose. :D

I tried to explain it to my wife like this: if I drove to her parents' house in Pennsylvania, we could drive there and nearly halfway back on one tank of fuel, even though the tank is the same size as my Accord's.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Even though my daughter has had my JSW for more than a month at a time, she still looks at the cost of fuel coming out of the pump and not how many miles she got on the tank. For her, the 03 Passat gets about 33 mpg with 350 - 400 miles per fill and the JSW gets about 44 mpg with about 550 - 600 miles per fill.