Additional Key Fobs

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Does anyone know if it's possible to get/program/use more than 2 key fobs for the Passat TDI SEL Premium? Costs involved? How does it work with memory seat/mirrors?

With all of our other vehicles, everyone in the family (4) has keys to all the cars. We will be picking up our new 2013 SEL Premium tomorrow, and I want to figure out what we can do to get more than 2 fobs, and how they will work. I expect that the info is probably in the owner's manual, but I want to plan ahead.

Thanks!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Call ahead and have the dealer get them cut and programmed for you. It's the best way to do it on VWs.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Ditto what kjclow said. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks per key. All memory functions should work with each key, up to 6 (if I remember correctly).

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
You should have this done at the time of purchase so you only pay for the keys and have them program it for you as part of the sale. You could also have them do a buy one get one free for the keys.

If you wait till after the sale is complete.....it will be hundreds of dollars and will be a PITA.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
The dealer quoted $120 per KESSY "key" plus 1 hour of labor for programming. They apparently don't stock them, but they get them from the parts depot, who pre-cuts them. So I will need to go back in a couple of days to pick them up.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's not too bad in terms of cost per key. One hour of labor for each key or one hour for two?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
One hour labor total. Apparently they need to reprogram the controller with the IDs of ALL "keys", so the number doesn't matter. Half of that hour is probably the time to pull the car into the shop, etc. The cost is not unreasonable, considering I've seen non-keyless keys (with built-in remote) run $130-$200+.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yep - it will probably take them an hour to get everything programmed, including pulling the car into the shop and hooking up the computer. They need to reprogram all of the keys - not just the additional ones. 1 hour labor isn't bad at all.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
just as a reminder if you ever have something with your key or cluster you will have to have all the keys with you if not you will have keys that won't work and due to the KESSY system you can't have a good key and a bad key if not you will get an error in the dash and the key will not be found....I know this one really well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
speaking of keys, looks like the 2012's have new construction compared to my 2010. Doesn't look like you can seporate the switchblade from the fob like the original keys

Anyone have a "disassembly how to" of the new switch blades?

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I recommend changing your system. Use 1 key per vehicle. Each person keeps a key ring with the keys they need on a regular basis. Key hook on the wall with 1 key per vehicle. Whoever takes car X, grabs only that key.

Heavy key rings are a terrible thing for key lock cylinders.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
just as a reminder if you ever have something with your key or cluster you will have to have all the keys with you if not you will have keys that won't work and due to the KESSY system you can't have a good key and a bad key if not you will get an error in the dash and the key will not be found....I know this one really well.
The dealer already warned us that they would need both existing fobs for the reprogram. You do raise an interesting point, though: when the kids are away at school, we might ask them to leave their fobs home in case they're needed for service.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I recommend changing your system. Use 1 key per vehicle. Each person keeps a key ring with the keys they need on a regular basis. Key hook on the wall with 1 key per vehicle. Whoever takes car X, grabs only that key.

Exactly! I can't seem to get my SO to understand this, when she has wrecked the tumblers on every single ignition of every single car she has owned, and she blames it on Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and Honda. I ask here how come the tumblers on my 1987 Toyota 4X4 are still fine, and not broken, but she breaks the Honda tumblers in 4 years and 34k miles?

VeeDubTDI

TDI

That's great as long as you don't care about the memory options that follow each key. Seat memory, MFI settings, mirrors, etc.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
That's great as long as you don't care about the memory options that follow each key. Seat memory, MFI settings, mirrors, etc.
There are buttons on the seat for memory positions for up to 3 people one can press before entering the vehicle. 4th person is SOL in this case. :)

And while KESSY does not have the ignition cylinder to ruin, it is one more fob on a keychain with at least 4 other vehicle keys/fobs for the other vehicles in the household.

Last edited: