is this overkill?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
ok winters here. -22 this morning!! (just for one day though... but its coming) and the car turned over a little slow despite not being plugged in.

ive used frostheaters before and loved them, so im gonna get one. but I was also wondering if I got an oil pan heater too, AND a battery blanket heater.

I could tie all 3 (FH, oil pan heater, and batt blanket) to a 3x1 splitter which plugs into my NOCO genius flush mount plug. clean and simple. 1 plug in on my bumper which cant be seen and it powers 3 things under the hood. would my extension cord be able to handle all that or am I asking for an electrical fire under the hood while I sleep?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
That depends on the cord and it's length. Properly sized it would be fine, undersized and you're looking for trouble!

That's Overkill though! Way Overkill! A frost heater warms the coolant and the block by circulating it the other items are completely unnecessary... Well a battery blanket might be good, but, the pan heater?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yeah, just add up the amp draw for each device and then figure out if your extension cord can handle that much juice. Not to mention the circuit it is plugged into.

You should get effortless starts that way. Starting to come home... not so much.

Good luck, and cheers!

PH

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
just get a 12 gauge extention cord. whatever outlet your pluggin into is either 15 or 20 amp service, assuming its 15 amp, you want to run a 20 amp cord either way. been there done that.
still kinda overkill. just change your motor oil and move on.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
yeah almost seems like its more hassle than its worth. frostheater is more than enough. guess I was just bored and wanting to tinker/spend money last night.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If-22 is going to be common, I don’t think there is such a thing as overkill. Total Wattage, divided by voltage, gives you necessary amperage. You can figure that much, length of wire plays into it also.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
12 gauge wire is rated for 20a, 14ga is 15a, 16ga forget it, and 10ga is 30a. Breaker and branch wire should correspond

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Problem is the plug adapter he wants to use is only rated at 13A and I think the Frost heater is 15A

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like a job for two circuits then, I’m not familiar with the frost heater, that would be in the area of 1800 watts. We opt for strong batteries and multi cycling the glow plugs, but we rarely get that cold here. Never for an extended time. If we did, I would probably have similar concerns

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
wow. so that noco flush mount adapter wont work? well this all sucks. cancel everything then I guess. plain ol frostheater (which works good enough at -40 tbh... has for the last few years on old car) and dangling the cord out of the hood it is I guess.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
If-22 is going to be common, I don’t think there is such a thing as overkill. Total Wattage, divided by voltage, gives you necessary amperage. You can figure that much, length of wire plays into it also.
frost heater is 1000w
battery blanket is 80w
block heater is 250w

so 1330w / 110 volt plug in is 12.09 amps?

I dont think the frostheater is 15a. I read it as 8?

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I say frost heater and battery blanket would be fine. But I rarely see temps below 5F and never needed "help" other than a strong battery. The wattage is the heat output, didn't know that would convert simple to amps. 8 amps is a lot of draw on a 120v source, I'd think a 14 or even 16 gauge cord would handle those 2 items. If the corde gets hot or blows the circuit breaker, up one size.
[curious, used an online calculator, tells me all 3 items is 12 amps]

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
frost heater is 1000w
battery blanket is 80w
block heater is 250w

so 1330w / 110 volt plug in is 12.09 amps?

I dont think the frostheater is 15a. I read it as 8?
Depends on which one, you might be right. Either way W=VxA and V=RxA otherwise known and Ohms Law

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Standard single phase is 120v

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would like the idea of warm oil, I’ve seen heaters that also go in the dipstick tube. I take it you have no garage?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I suppose convenience should factor into it also