05 jetta tdi timing belt

Grapeape

TDI
05 jetta tdi
Hey all. I've been working on changing my timing belt. I have a question what's the bottom gear that has the serpentine belt gear bolted on to it. I have to take it to someone as mine has 2 allen key head bolts stripped. So when I call to see if someone can get them off and replace them with hex heads I know what gear I'm talking about.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
You can use an extractor for that, get one at HF and save some money. Just use the one that fits tight and tap it on with a hammer.
It's the crank pulley though.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I always use a short brass punch and hammer to give those bolts a wake-up thump. In fact, I whack them three or four times pretty hard. I've never rounded one out or had to extract one.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I always use a short brass punch and hammer to give those bolts a wake-up thump. In fact, I whack them three or four times pretty hard. I've never rounded one out or had to extract one.

I do the same after stripping 2 out on my first belt job. I’ve not had one strip out since.