amosdoodle's vanagon intercooler setup....

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
all I can say is, Works fantastic!! .... now let the pictures speak ;)

a little "underbonnet" shot ;)

just a second off near full throttle @ 17.5psi during a long uphill....just north of 80mph ....it did peak at 109* just before the shot ...(my slow finger ;))

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
his current setup is an AHU, brm turbo clocked for 50*, DBW sprint 205's, ALH 10mm IP, TD tuning via VWmikel on a 121pin ALH ecm.... the intercooler can be found here ....it's a "twin pass" cooler 24"x12"x3" with 3" inlet outlet with rear tilted slightly down, maybe four inch grade front to rear ?....shallow sheetmetal scoop to gather the breeze....

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Brilliant and beautiful! Thanks for sharing :) Inspirational for the next iteration.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Thanks for posting this. My next setup will be similar to this.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Brilliant and beautiful! Thanks for sharing :) Inspirational for the next iteration.
I believe I used that exact word to describe his and my buddy Daniels work "brilliant" :)

Thanks for posting this. My next setup will be similar to this.
82' vanagons unite!! ...my twinpass intercooler is on the way!! :D

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Make three and send one to me and Jordan. We're good for it ;). Mostly not joking.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I wish there was a "Like" button for the posts. I would have pressed it a couple times :D.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Question: How much space is above the intercooler core? (i.e. trying to understand the the route the airflow takes when exiting)

Thanks,
Mark

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Question: How much space is above the intercooler core? (i.e. trying to understand the the route the airflow takes when exiting)

Thanks,
Mark
the front of the intercooler is almost right against the floor with 2.5-3" of tilt down at the rear .... hope that answers your question..

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dang, last July, I was out of the country and stuck with limited Internet Service. So, I missed this Thread.

I do recall you [Jimbote] talking about doing a new fangled IC ......

Excellent results!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

finally got the "amosdoodle" setup on my vanagon .... looking toward the intercooler from the rear

in process

from the top

looking back

the piping is an ebay universal 2" aluminum intercooler tubing kit ... added to that were two 3">2" silicone reducers and one 2" silicone 30* bend .... on top of this i added a turbo blanket and some tubing heat shield ... current turbo is a gt2052 wastegated turbo which i found out about here ... setup works pretty good so far although i'm still running the AAZ and can't log intake temps but I do notice quite a reduction of EGT's when underway ....more to come ;)

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice setup, looks like it works well. Around this area you'd have to run some 1/4" hardware screen to prevent road gravel and other junk from bouncing up in there.

We have a lot of construction trucks that run with uncovered loads, sometimes overfilled. Also, there are some bottom dump trailers that don't seem to get completely closed...and then there's the seed corn trucks...

Steve

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Looking good Jimbote!

Excellent plumbing!

The results are awesome.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Agreed. If I was to do it all again (I don't want to), I would do this.

My current setup with two sequential A2W intercoolers and a 24x12 radiator mounted underneath yields IAT at 10-35*F above ambient. The worst I have seen is 140*F on a 100* degree day on a long up hill. Yesterday I was driving on a cooler day and IATs around 100 on a long freeway run. Around town 80-90*F are the norm.

The A2A setup above is superior, I think because the IATs are still lower than mine and more importantly, the complexity and weight are much lower.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Agreed. If I was to do it all again (I don't want to), I would do this.

My current setup with two sequential A2W intercoolers and a 24x12 radiator mounted underneath yields IAT at 10-35*F above ambient. The worst I have seen is 140*F on a 100* degree day on a long up hill. Yesterday I was driving on a cooler day and IATs around 100 on a long freeway run. Around town 80-90*F are the norm.

The A2A setup above is superior, I think because the IATs are still lower than mine and more importantly, the complexity and weight are much lower.
that's still really good for an a2w setup.... i literally wrangled for months over whether or not to go a2w ... i even wasted $500+ in a water meth injection system .... when my buddy came up with this i was sold ....

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Simple and effective... can't argue with that. How much piping would you say is there? Probably a touch longer than a typical FMIC install but not by much.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Thats an awesome way to do it! Glad you shared it. Clean setup!

Clarkrep

TDI
'82 Vanagon Westy CJAA 2.0 TDI, '14 Jetta Wagon TDI
...back from the dead...
I've referenced this multiple times over the years.
Thanks for your contribution!
Could you please fix the broken picture links?
I'm also curious how this setup has been working.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
...back from the dead...
I've referenced this multiple times over the years.
Thanks for your contribution!
Could you please fix the broken picture links?
I'm also curious how this setup has been working.
I don't have the van or pictures anymore. The van is still running around arizona/southern California last I heard. My "new" van has a similar, more compact, intercooler arrangement but it's not as effective as the amosdoodle setup. New setup has intercooler right under the 50 degree wedge just below the turbo.