Audi B5 conversion

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Im planning a Audi B5 conversion. I was trying to make a Jeep TDI but the price of the adapter is just too much for a fun car. So, Ive decided to make a daily driver I want and can be proud of. I would love an S4, but it will likely be a 96-99 2.8 chassis.

I have An ALH engine already, harness and ECU. I will be using a stock B5 trans- Im aware of the gear difference.

What I would like to know if if anyone has done the ALH to B5 swap and what caviats or build threads you guys could offer. Mounts, clutch info, anything you could share. I thought I remembered a great build thread a while ago, but I cant find it anymore

jack1

TDI
Audi Allroad 1.9tdi, Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi, Vw T25 2.5 V6 tdi
I never done that conversion but was going to use an ALH myself but couldn't find a passat or audi that uses that engine in that configuration to suit engine mounts and wiring loom to make it tidy , also the sump would have to be changed to clear the b5 subframe if the ALH came out of a golf , bora etc.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It has been done, I am kicking around doing an ALH swap into this '98 FWD V6 manual A4 I have. You'll need to raid the AWM (1.8t) cars' parts bin for some items like the oil pan, etc. and likely some BHW bits as well.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, some day. First, I need to get a title to the Audi. It was abandoned, and it needs a LOT of love.

I also have:

a child in the hospital

a tree in my master bedroom

a Vanagon in Virginia

and cows that cannot seem to stop, well, making more cows.... :eek:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yeah, some day. First, I need to get a title to the Audi. It was abandoned, and it needs a LOT of love.
I also have:
a child in the hospital
a tree in my master bedroom
a Vanagon in Virginia
and cows that cannot seem to stop, well, making more cows.... :eek:
Hmmm....I have a close friend in Springfield, MO that I grew up with that has 200 acres, a wife and cows. He figured it out.....(you need to get the bull out of the cow pasture).:D

SmokeyWagn

TDI
02 jetta sedan, 03 jetta wagon, 1z ZJ under construction
I meant for onlyn8v to do it. but sure you should do yours too :)

oilhammer

TDI
Hmmm....I have a close friend in Springfield, MO that I grew up with that has 200 acres, a wife and cows. He figured it out.....(you need to get the bull out of the cow pasture).:D
Yeah, I wish it were that simple. We seem to have bulls that spend a lot of time trying to find ways around, over, and through the fences that separate them from the cows. But I digress.....

Some day, I'll have a proper 3 pedal B5 TDI.

Freestyle72

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
You want engine mount brackets from 2000-2001 1.8T B5 A4, you want the oil pan, you want B5.5 Passat TDI hydro engine mounts. You will need to do something with the flywheel, use a 1.8T, I am just not sure what starter you want to use with it. The 1.8T starter won't be strong enough.

That's pretty much it for bolting it in the rest will be wiring wizardry

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Ok, so we are back at this now. Im picking up a 98 B5 with a smoked 2.8 later on today. I really want to get this going as soon as possible.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Small update, I have gotten the engine in for its first test fit and have realized that unless I go with a longitudinal turbo setup, i am going to have to fabricate the passenger side engine mount bracket. Its not a huge deal, I just have to sit down and figure some things out.
Im also trying to decide if it is worth the effort to get a harness from an AFN diesel B5 to try and make integration more factory. I realize the ALH is not the same wiring so I have not convinced myself yet to do that.

ksmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Was this car ever completed? I'm brainstorming a similar swap, and a turbo is one thing I'm scratching my head about...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Everything is much easier if you go with the BHW set up. I have a 2000 A6 with a BHW and 6MQ. Had to do a little cutting and fabricating to get the turbo cross over pipe to fit in the lock carrier and move a few wires in the harness and then a bunch of elbow grease to get it done. It's fun, handles great and gets high 20's to high 30's MPG

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Everything is much easier if you go with the BHW set up. I have a 2000 A6 with a BHW and 6MQ. Had to do a little cutting and fabricating to get the turbo cross over pipe to fit in the lock carrier and move a few wires in the harness and then a bunch of elbow grease to get it done. It's fun, handles great and gets high 20's to high 30's MPG
are you on stock 6 speed gasser trans? I've really been thinking of finding a blown 2.7 (becasue that's so hard lol) and bhw converting it

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
No I have a DQS 01e from Europe