List of basic required pins for stand alone?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I've been looking and looking, maybe I'm not doing it right? I got the mk3 wiring diagram, but I can't find anywhere online that tells me what the minimum basic required wires are. I think it's 23 if I recall correctly what somebody told me before. Any help is awesome

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Go through the diagram with two color highlighters, one for grounds and one for fuses. Provide ground to the grounds and 12v to all the fused wires and you're good to go. You'll need to work through the ignition switch logic but it's not tough. There are no wires that have constant power, ie when the ignition switch is off there will not be 12v applied to the ecm or any sensors.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I got that part, I can't find the definite number of list of basic pins though. I have a rough idea, but I'm still short a few, and I'm not sure what all I need, if that makes sense

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
power and ground.... no others needed, that is if you don't use r109 ;).... if you want other things like tach, cruise, cel, use of the 109 relay, etc... then that adds pins but if you just want to run the thing power it up and go

Last edited:

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help. Guess once I get my donor car stripped I can start the wiring. I'm still confused, but I'm a visual learner, hopefully it will make sense once I get it pulled apart

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
it makes a lot more sense if you sit with a list of pins and multimeter and the harness. I laid mine out, pared out all the wires that did not interact with the ECU and was only left with the wires that run from the ECU to the engine and about a dozen left over. Those are the various powers, grounds, outputs, and inputs for things like cruise, brake switch, clutch switch. I did all this in about 3 hours and had the thing running in another half an hour.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice! I'm just waiting to get my donor car now so I can start messing with it