ahu from mk3 to B3

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Mine didn't have the front stud so I had to drill a hole in the box and mount a bolt in there. Early Mk3 doesn't have the front corner mounting tabs, I'd imagine the B3 is the same.
The B3 and early Mk3 have all four mounting points in the tunnel and no central hole above. I've already drilled the central hole for the B4 box I installed so that's already there.

The four tunnel mounting points are the biggest reason I didn't want to try and fit the Mk4 shifter, I didn't really want to mutilate that bracket to fit a box that I might later decide to upgrade to the 6N0 box.

At this point it should be a quick swap to replace the B4 box that's in there with the 6N0 Polo (Lupo, Ibiza) unit, and further I get to reinstall the tunnel shield properly since it's secured by the two forward bolts as well.

I'm pretty happy at this point, trans kit in process, shifter found and hopefully sent over pretty quick. While I'm waiting on these things I'll probably remove the engine / trans and then start reinstalling the dashboard and rerouting the wiring to where it needs to go.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
My early mk3 sure doesn't! Mine is a '94 with a '93 build date, they don't get much earlier than that over here.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My early mk3 sure doesn't! Mine is a '94 with a '93 build date, they don't get much earlier than that over here.
That's very strange, I'll have to check my info to be sure I had that correct. I know the B3 has the four mounting points but I have never looked at my 97 Mk3 so I can't say for sure.

I was taking the info at second hand but it was from a very reliable and accurate source.

Steve

EDIT: I stand corrected, the four point shifter mounting started in mid-94.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
No significant updates at this point.

Ordering the eurotuning 6 speed conversion (x2) and Frans has two of the Polo/Lupo/Ibiza shifter boxes that will be heading this way.

Downpipe / cat off to the welder to reattach part of the Mk3 forward mounting and to have a new section of pipe welded to the rear cat.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to look at a B3 wagon on Monday, so I might be jumping in to the same boat as you in the not too distant future...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm going to look at a B3 wagon on Monday, so I might be jumping in to the same boat as you in the not too distant future...
Woo hoo! Hope you find that the B3 wagon is in good shape. I'll want to know some specifics on that wagon when you get it, CL or GL and all the specs! Be sure and start a thread and post up some pics...can you tell I like pics?

Lots of work on the details. It's gonna be golden.:)
I hope so, so far it's working out ok, but it's still a ways from being finished, and now that the six speed kit is being ordered it's kind of on hold until that arrives, at least in the engine compartment.

I will continue to work inside the car on the dash reinstall etc. Been checking to make sure some problematic things are working right, the recirculation flap actuator had me worried but it operates just fine after testing.

I also have to build wiring harnesses for several things so we'll see if I can get those done and installed before too long. I need to build headlight and fog light wiring harness for external relays and a harness to operate the headlight leveling system on the European headlights. These will keep me busy for a while.

Also, I need to build some extra wiring into the car to account for the fender mounted repeaters that are getting installed instead of the original GL badges and I need to do some repairs to the stereo wiring for the rear speakers. I also plan to run a single din Premium V radio from a Mk4 in this car so I have to go back and modify my radio wiring to account for that. Also plan to incorporate the Monsoon amp in this too.

I already wired up the rear fog so that's taken care of.

Steve A

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I accidentally put down a deposit on this today:

Factory AAZ diesel, so my M-TDI is a direct drop in while the AAZ will go right in to my Jetta. GORGEOUS car, only 125,000 original kms on it and it looks it (in person)...

And that wasn't even the one I was supposed to be going to see next week...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I accidentally put down a deposit on this today:

Factory AAZ diesel, so my M-TDI is a direct drop in while the AAZ will go right in to my Jetta. GORGEOUS car, only 125,000 original kms on it and it looks it (in person)...

And that wasn't even the one I was supposed to be going to see next week...

Nice...it's absolutely beautiful in black! I see headlight washer nozzles!!

So this isn't the one you were going to see? What happened to that one? BTW, I'd like to put in a pre-order for a B3V in calypso please...

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice...it's absolutely beautiful in black! I see headlight washer nozzles!!

So this isn't the one you were going to see? What happened to that one? BTW, I'd like to put in a pre-order for a B3V in calypso please...

Steve
Yep, it has headlight washers, power windows, mirrors, sunroof, heated seats, ABS, basically every option in the list. It's a CL since that's the only trim the diesel was offered in. This is the best part:

She's a baby!

The color is actually metallic grey. The car is in great condition too...

Clean everywhere...

Straight. Rust free. The pinch welds haven't even been messed up.

The one I was supposed to be seeing on Monday is still for sale. It's a gasser auto with a bypassed heater core, though they're only asking $1250 for it.

I should really stop polluting your thread though and start my own... :eek:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yep, it has headlight washers, power windows, mirrors, sunroof, heated seats, ABS, basically every option in the list. It's a CL since that's the only trim the diesel was offered in.
The color is actually metallic grey. The car is in great condition too...

Straight. Rust free. The pinch welds haven't even been messed up.

The one I was supposed to be seeing on Monday is still for sale. It's a gasser auto with a bypassed heater core, though they're only asking $1250 for it.

I should really stop polluting your thread though and start my own... :eek:

You should start your own thread, because that's a great car. I wish mine had been that clean when I got it.

I'll have to check the brochure for that color, it almost looks black in the pics you posted originally.

I didn't realize that they only offered the diesel in CL trim level.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Minor update, no new pics though.

Finally got back to working on the car, trying to get all the remaining electrical things done so I can start getting the dash reinstalled.

Just finished up modifying the headlight wiring harness for euro headlights and added external relays, wired the city lights to work with the parking light circuit and built and installed a harness for the electric level controls.

Still need to wire in the side repeater lights, pyro gauge, auto dimming rear view mirror and finish the scangauge II wiring and the air horns.

I also need to check and be sure that the reverse light wiring is in place from the fuse box back to the rear of the car. Since this car was originally AT the reverse lights were handled by the TCM. Now that it's MT I'm not sure the wiring harness supports it.

Also finally found a good fitting plug for the rear hatch for rear wiper delete.

Still waiting on the six speed conversion parts and shifter box parts, which I might have to order in the US. I'll pull the engine / trans back out to do the trans work since it's really only loosely installed. I'll probably also replace the front engine mount at that time.

Oh there is one pic. I snagged this really good OE glass from a 97 B4V in a local JY about a month ago. I was ambivalent about the Pilkington glass I got several months back after I found scratches in the center where it looked like someone had climbed up to the roof on it.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice!
I have a Spoon Fed Tuning relay harness / e-code adapter harness that should be showing up tomorrow. I have my euro lights ready to go. I sourced a factory harness for the levelling motors too, should get that in a few weeks.

Did you keep the ABS stuff btw? I mean as in keep it in a box... I've learned a lot about the TEVES II system over the past while... Decided to make it work for me.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice!
I have a Spoon Fed Tuning relay harness / e-code adapter harness that should be showing up tomorrow. I have my euro lights ready to go. I sourced a factory harness for the levelling motors too, should get that in a few weeks.

Did you keep the ABS stuff btw? I mean as in keep it in a box... I've learned a lot about the TEVES II system over the past while... Decided to make it work for me.
I wish that the guy I'd gotten the euro lamps from had sent a complete harness for the level control. It's time consuming to have to build these from scratch and I had to assume the Mk3 setup was the same since I didn't have the real schematic.

I'm not sure what I did with the ABS stuff, the harness is still around because I've taken wiring from it to build some of the other electrical stuff that needed properly colored wires and some connectors.

I doubt that the ABS still worked though but it might have. If I would have kept it I'd have needed to replace all the sensors and the pump I think, the pedal was bent which I've read is a sign that the ABS was no longer working.

I had considered taking the later ABS from a 97 B4 because as I understand it there's some traction control benefit but in the end decided that I could do without. This project has already ballooned into much more than I anticipated at the beginning..and one reason it'll likely be my last.

I'd be curious to see your leveler harness specifics once you get it. I was under the impression that the leveler motors take power from the HL low beams but where that actually happens I couldn't tell.

Since I had already changed over to the B4 cooling system / AC / HL wiring it seemed logical enough just to solder in the connections to adapt to the B3 euro headlights

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The B3 ABS is pretty weird for sure. If the pump was bad then it's junk, it actually relies on the pump for power braking. No pump = no rear brakes and no power assist to the front brakes. It's no small wonder that they ditched that idea shortly thereafter.

If you DO still have the ABS unit, there are some parts that are worth some money. There's a few US cars and UK cars that use the same system too. The parts are NLA but pretty much compatible across all the TEVES II units regardless of what brand car it's installed in.

I'll try and remember to shoot over a picture of the levelling harness once I get it! I think I have a bad picture from the seller somewhere but you can't really see where it hooks up or anything. Appears there's a firewall grommet included.

Ha, I just went back and looked at the pictures again. Appears I bought the entire complete headlight harness with the European connectors on it. Whoops, now my expensive Euro conversion / relay harness isn't going to have the right connector. D'oh.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The B3 ABS is pretty weird for sure. If the pump was bad then it's junk, it actually relies on the pump for power braking. No pump = no rear brakes and no power assist to the front brakes. It's no small wonder that they ditched that idea shortly thereafter.

If you DO still have the ABS unit, there are some parts that are worth some money. There's a few US cars and UK cars that use the same system too. The parts are NLA but pretty much compatible across all the TEVES II units regardless of what brand car it's installed in.

I'll try and remember to shoot over a picture of the levelling harness once I get it! I think I have a bad picture from the seller somewhere but you can't really see where it hooks up or anything. Appears there's a firewall grommet included.

Ha, I just went back and looked at the pictures again. Appears I bought the entire complete headlight harness with the European connectors on it. Whoops, now my expensive Euro conversion / relay harness isn't going to have the right connector. D'oh.
Well the ABS unit might be around here but wouldn't surprise me if I just tossed it, my garage is a huge mess, parts are everywhere!

I'm not surprised that the leveler harness is with the headlight harness. Since the switch takes power from A2/03 and the motors are powered by their respective low beam lamp 12v sources it would seem as though it would have to be somewhat integrated.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Minor update, or rather they all seem like minor updates when you're doing wiring work.

Finished all the headlight wiring, including the leveling system and the external relay setup for the headlights. Finally got the wiring for the ambient air temp sensor relocated to the rain tray. Discovered that I needed to extend the coolant glow plug power wire about 10" so that it would conform to where the battery + terminal connects (blame the Mk3 engine harness for this one).

The only two things that remain are to finish the connector for the auto-dimming rear view mirror (two more wires) and to finish the harness and tie in the turn signal repeaters to the harness at the fuse box.

I think this will bring all the electrical up to where it needs to be so I can proceed with reinstalling the dash assembly.

I test fitted these a while back. I wish they were frosted clear like the front park turn lights are. I have some clear but they're crystal DEPO brand ones and I'm not all that fond of them, even with amber bulbs. I might need to find a different set.

Still waiting on transmission stuff but almost ready to start interior reconstruction. I just remembered though that I was planning on running a Premium V head unit and I'll probably have to make some wiring modifications to make that work so I might not be quite done yet.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Another electrical update

All of the outstanding electrical issues have been dealt with.
1) auto-dimming mirror integrated.
2) Scan gauge wiring.
3) Euro headlight connections and external relay controls.
4) HL leveler motor wiring
5) Side turn signal repeater wiring

Everything works as intended except for a snafu in the HL circuit (or switch). I'll lay it out and see if anyone has any suggestions for how to correct it, or whether it's a malfunction of the HL switch itself (my guess).

With battery connected and the key off:
HL comes on when switch is moved to parking light position
HL stays on when switch moved to HL position

This is contrary to how the headlights are supposed to work. Owners manual states that the circuit should not illuminate HL's when key is off, only parking lights should come on. Owners manual states, "To conserve battery power, the headlights go out automatically when the ignition is turned off or when the engine is started."

When key is on in 'run' position the HL's seem to perform the same way.

A bit more info, yesterday when I first encountered this problem the headlight would come on with key off (and out of ignition switch) in the parking light position but would go off if you advanced to HL position. When you reversed back to parking lights the HL's would remain off. If you turned the switch off all the way and back to parking the HL's would come back on again, but coming from HL position back to parking they would not. I could not get it to behave this way today.

Anyone with any insight into this let me know, it's not what I expected and I suspect that the HL switch might be the culprit but since I don't have a spare (only switch I don't have a spare for) I can't try another.

I also suspected dimmer switch but after reviewing the wiring diagram that switch really only controls whether power is supplied to high or low beams.

All for now...but a few pics of european headlights. First is city light illuminated and second with full headlight low beam. I originally intended to switch off the city light when the HL came on but that seemed like a whole other wiring issue I didn't want to deal with at this point.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Found a fix for the HL issue, it's common on Corrado and B3 Passat when you use external HL relays.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, was about to say... You just need to move one wire on the headlight switch. There's a black / white striped wire, it needs to be moved. Just did that on mine when I put my e-codes in with relays. I believe it gets moved from terminal #53 to the one labelled 'NLC'. (edit)

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Color is "Brilliant Black", it's a black metallic. Mine is a factory AAZ IDI diesel but will be getting a TDI transplant in the spring.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yup, was about to say... You just need to move one wire on the headlight switch. There's a black / white striped wire, it needs to be moved. Just did that on mine when I put my e-codes in with relays. I believe it gets moved from terminal #53 to the one labelled 'SLC'.

I was going to say, it looks a lot more black than grey. I went back and looked and the only black metallic I could find was in 1993.

Looks like you've been doing some updating. I also believe I know where your euro B3 headlight harness is coming from, I saw one posted up on Vortex for sale. You'll be fortunate that you don't have to do a lot of rewiring like I had to. Does your new harness include the turn sig repeater lights too? I would imagine that it does.

Yes, there's one wire to move on the switch, the white / black wire goes from it's original spot to the one marked NSL on the switch. Needless to say after all that work I was glad to find that solution!

Looks like some new wheels....

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Harness is coming from a seller in Ontario. He has a TON of B3 stuff. I am getting a set of factory B3 rack cross bars from him too, plus the two rear splash guards that are missing for some reason on mine and a rear power window regulator. I was thinking that the Euro wiring would probably have the repeater harness, hoping so! I have kind of overspent on the car over the last month so asked him if I could hold off till November, he has everything on hold for me.

Yes, lots of little things. The headlights were a no brainer - I had one that wasn't all that hot (reflector was going) and I really didn't like the look of the orange signals. Wheels are my summer wheels from my Jetta - my Passat factory 15s have my winter tires on them. Still too warm for those here, at least for the next couple of weeks. I did about 3500 km worth of road tripping last month and I didn't want to wear out my winter tires prematurely. These wheels will be staying with the Passat apart from mid November through March or so. ;-)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Harness is coming from a seller in Ontario. He has a TON of B3 stuff. I am getting a set of factory B3 rack cross bars from him too, plus the two rear splash guards that are missing for some reason on mine and a rear power window regulator. I was thinking that the Euro wiring would probably have the repeater harness, hoping so! I have kind of overspent on the car over the last month so asked him if I could hold off till November, he has everything on hold for me.

Yes, lots of little things. The headlights were a no brainer - I had one that wasn't all that hot (reflector was going) and I really didn't like the look of the orange signals. Wheels are my summer wheels from my Jetta - my Passat factory 15s have my winter tires on them. Still too warm for those here, at least for the next couple of weeks. I did about 3500 km worth of road tripping last month and I didn't want to wear out my winter tires prematurely. These wheels will be staying with the Passat apart from mid November through March or so. ;-)
Well it looks awfully nice for the age. I sure wish my car had seen the care yours had, then again for mid-west mine is about as good as it gets for sitting in a back yard for 8 years and becoming a dumping ground for junk.

Yeah, that's the post on Vortex that has your harness (and other stuff). I think I've contacted him before about other stuff but have had really bad luck with empty boxes coming from Canada.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah there's a reason I snapped this one up when I saw it! If I had to guess I'd say an older couple probably owned this one from new. Seems like it had all its scheduled maintenance but nothing much else... 125,000 kms on it when I got it too, I mean that's barely over 3,000 miles / 5,000 km a year from new. I don't drive much at all but I still do a solid 10,000+ km a year easily.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
More electrical updates:

Fixed the problem with the overactive headlights by moving the wire at the light switch, I think all the front end electrical is now done.

Trying to finish up everything under the dash so I can reinstall the dash and start to put the interior back together.

Yesterday discovered that the rear cargo light didn't work. Pulling the switch from the rear latch discovered that it was corroded and unusable. Had to visit the JY this morning for another switch and luckily found a good one in a Mk3 Golf.

Cleaned / lubed the latch, installed the new switch and viola it now works. Also took a little time to wire the rear hatch light to trigger the cluster 'boot lid open' light if it's unlatched.

Only thing I wish it had is the electric release actuator, which is very handy on the Jetta. Unfortunately they never installed the electric actuator on the wagons so it would have to be a custom install.

Steve