Loss of power going up hill

wiezzl

TDI
Jetta 2000 Black
I was recently on holidays in the Maritimes with the family so the car had a little more in it than normal, but not over loaded by any means.
I found that the car would decrease in speed when the cruise was set, but when I put my foot on the pedal with the cruise still on the car would pick up speed.
So it is not a power loss issue as much as the cruise will not maintain the speed it is set at.

Any ideas on what may cause this? and what the fix could be?

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yes, a pretty good idea, actually.

What you describe sounds like a symptom of a slowly dying MAF.
You might also notice that your car accelerates smoothly up to about 2700 rpm and then "hits a wall" up to 3100 or so, and after that it pulls up better. Another common sign of a MAF that gets inadaequate.
The good news: Not too difficult to test, self-replaceable, numerous options available.

You will find more info in the TDI FAQ and in THIS THREAD and in THIS THREAD

It is a good idea to have a TDIClub member that has VAG COM to check out your MAF before you start buying parts. Check the list HERE to see if anybody is in your area.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
How much did the speed decrease before the right foot override commenced? The cruise works on a basic P.I. algorithm. The amount of fuel is proportional to the variation from the desired speed. The amount of fuel is further modified by a time value with more fuel used when the duration of the variation increases. There is a "dead band", in which small variations from the desired speed do not cause fuel delivery changes.
I notice a variation of + - 3 mph ( + - 5 kph) caused by influences (hills, headwind, drafting) before the cruise reacts and consider this variation to be "normal".

wiezzl

TDI
Jetta 2000 Black
I think you may be right
I've had some dead spots in my power
I've removed the MAF a couple of times now and cleaned it, and notice a marked improvement in the power with less or no dead spots.
I will have a look for someone the London, ONT area that has a Vagcom so I can check it before I run out and buy an expense MAF from the dealer.
Thanks for your help