adjusting headlights

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
very simple question, how do i adjust my headlights? to push one out a little forward, the near the grill part.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Each headlamp has two adjusting screws. They are white nylon screws that use either a allen wrench (7mm I believe) or a philips screw driver. One of the screws raises and lowers the beam and one of the screws gives a left/right alignment.

When I adjust my lights I drive behind the local grocery store after dark and line up with the wall at approximately 25 feet away. You can see the tiny "eyelid" exposure on the wall and I adjust the lamps until they are aligned and centered at the height of the lamps themselves. This is approximately 2½ feet off of the ground. When you turn on the high beams you'll see a beam that extends straight upward (if the wall is tall enough). I set these so that they both lean outward at approximately 10º angle. After my alignment I take a test drive to make sure I'm not blinding anybody. If the lights are shining into other motorists rear view mirrors or if I get people flashing their lights at me then I go back and lower the beam a tad more.