What should I replace with the engine removed?

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
I recently purchased a 2007 Touareg V10 TDI with a bad camshaft. I am in the process of dropping the engine. I am planning to replace at least the AC drive and maybe the water pump. Is there anything big or small that should be changed or removed when the engine is out?

If anyone wants any youtube videos of how to do anything, I will see if I can post them once I am good at doing it.

Thanks

Jesus is Lord

Levi

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Turbos and tandem pumps and alternator ?

Show us how you drop the engine in the driveway. That will be great. :D

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply. I did plan on checking the turbos for end play. The tandem pumps can be replaced with the engine in the car. I am not sure on the alternator.

What about the starter?

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
There is a coupling between the alternator and the shaft that drives it. Some have recommended replacing that coupling when the opportunity arises simply because it is so hard to get at if it fails unexpectedly.
Carefully check the rubber coolant hoses when you take them apart. Any obviously soft or hard rubber should be replaced on a 10 yr old vehicle when the parts are exposed for other reasons.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Last time I saw a Touareg engine removed it was to replace the rear main seals. I don't know how many miles are on yours, but perhaps that's worth considering.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you guys. I have never dropped an engine in a Touareg. I have talked to Frank and have decided to try to support the engine and transmission and then lift the vehicle off of the drivetrain.

Hopefully my list will help someone else.
This is it so far.

-Front and Rear Main Seals (Front is leaking)(158,000 miles)
-Camshafts/Lifters
-AC Receiver Dryer/AC Seals (Because I removed a couple ac lines)
-Tandem Pump Gaskets
-Alternator and AC/Power Steering Drive Couplings
-CCV Elbows on Valve Cover (I broke one and I might break the plastic on the other)