TDI FAQ K&N air filter

Nich

Veteran Member
TDI
5 spd 03 Jetta TDI
Is it just me or does the TDI FAQ recommend using a K&N oiled airfilter even though I have seen multipule threads say these filters will ruin the MAF

Nich

Veteran Member
TDI
5 spd 03 Jetta TDI
5. Air Intake System Modifications

The stock air filter element can be replaced with an oiled-cotton (e.g. K&N) or oiled-foam (e.g. Pipercross, Amsoil) filter element in the standard filter box, or the entire airbox can be replaced with either a "cone" filter that draws air from within the engine compartment, or an enclosed-type high-flow filter that draws air from outside the engine compartment. The "snow screen" in the duct leading to the airbox (A4-chassis) or in the base of the airbox (A3, B4) can be removed at no cost and no side effects other than transferring responsibility for cleaning the air to the air filter which is responsible for doing that anyway. The snorkel on the intake side of a B4 airbox can also be removed with no side effects. On models where removing the snorkel would make a difference between drawing air from within or from outside the engine compartment, either leave the snorkel there so as to draw in cold air, or make other provisions for getting outside air into the area. If you alter the intake, MAKE SURE that potential water splash and rainwater issues are dealt with at least as effectively as the stock setup.

Installation: "Panel" filters are no more difficult to install than a standard air filter. "Cone" filters and cold-air intake systems frequently require installation of support brackets which should be done according to manufacturer's instructions. However, all of these filters require specific methods of periodic cleaning and re-oiling, which if not done correctly, will result in reduced filtration efficiency (dirt getting past the filter and into the turbo and engine). On foam-type filters, always use a "sticky" filter oil (Amsoil has a good one) which must be worked into the full depth of the foam using fingers. You need a sparse coating of the filter oil but it must be completely dispersed throughout the entire filter media to be effective. IMPORTANT NOTE: Regardless of the type of air filter chosen, make 100% sure that it is sealed against leakage of unfiltered air!! A leaky gasket around the outside of an otherwise good air filter WILL let more dirt into the engine than the entire filter element itself, so be careful about installation - REGARDLESS of what type of air filter is used!

Advantages: Not having to periodically replace the standard paper filter element (but you still have to periodically clean the replacement filter element). On some models where the standard airbox is difficult to deal with (B4 Passat!) the cone filters are easier to install in a way that ensures that there are no leaks of unfiltered air.

Comments: Performance gains are fairly small at best ... some would argue that they are non-existent.

Disadvantages: If not maintained correctly, dirt can get into the engine. The same is true of ANY air filter including the stock one, but aftermarket types are designed to be cleaned and re-oiled periodically, and this must not be ignored or done improperly. If installed in a way that has any gaps around the filter element, dirt can get into the engine, although this is equally true of the standard filter element. You are your own warranty.

Cost factor: Nothing (snorkel / screen removal, to US$20ish (panel filter) to US$200 range for fancier systems.

Cautions specific to this modification: Make absolutely sure that oiled-type filter elements are properly maintained. Check periodically for any evidence of contamination due to leakage of unfiltered air. This is good practice regardless of the type of filter element used

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Not sure where you found the FAQ, but somebody needs to edit it...

The members are correct, the FAQ is WRONG (IMO).

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I guess it is officially August .... so 9 more K&N threads left to appear :(.
Ahh, you kill me....did we meet the quota in July?

but in all fairness, the TDICLUB FAQ is advising the K&N upgrade just as long as you keep it oiled....and oiled....and oiled....

Damn, I need to replace my MAF again, 7th time this year....lol

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
IMO the TDI FAQ has so much bad and/or outdated information in it that it should be deleted entirely. It is not worth editing.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just because you "can", doesn't mean you "should".

And yes, that document is very out of date. Nobody has stepped up to update it. I did the last one and I'm not doing the next one.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
5. Air Intake System Modifications

The stock air filter element is quite adequate for the TDI engine therefor most intake modifications are not recommended. Only dry paper filters is recommended. The use of oiled air filterers IE:K&N will cause maf(mass air flow) sensor failures.

"Cold air intakes" are another thing best left on eBay and out of the car. They have a bad habit of sucking in water during driving in heavy rain. Water entering the intake of the engine will cause major engine damage. Finally, the factory already is a "cold air intake" as it takes air behind the headlight area.

Some people have modified their OEM air filter box to accept a filter restriction guage. This way, they can see if there is any restriction in the air filter box. If the guage doesn't show any restriction, there is no need for any air box upgrades.

Installation: None if you don't install anything like you should

Advantages: none

Comments: Most air filter upgrades are a total waste of money.

Disadvantages:More than I have time to list...
There, I updated it. If anybody has anything to add, feel free to quote it and add what you want.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
We're working on the re-edit of the how to and the faq. You're right it is a big job.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have offered my FAQ and "how to" to tdiclub before. It's about 7-800 pages worth of material and I've put in about 4-5000 hours of work on my site myturbodiesel.com. I can't donate it (I have to maintain control over the content to make updates and revisions and I wouldn't ask you to do a few years worth of work for me for free) so I asked to buy tdiclub. Fred explained to me why not and that's fine but I'm asking again because it seems like management is interested in making updates. Others have expressed the need for updates for a while so I did it myself and created my own site. It would benefit all if they merged. If they are interested, send me a PM.

Last edited:

timirving

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS; 2002 Jetta TDI GLS
I have offered my FAQ and "how to" to tdiclub before. It's about 7-800 pages worth of material and I've put in about 4-5000 hours of work on my site myturbodiesel.com. I can't donate it (I have to maintain control over the content to make updates and revisions and I wouldn't ask you to do a few years worth of work for me for free) so I asked to buy tdiclub. Fred explained to me why not and that's fine but I'm asking again because it seems like management is interested in making updates. Others have expressed the need for updates for a while so I did it myself and created my own site. It would benefit all if they merged. If they are interested, send me a PM.
As a newbie.... I have found your FAQ's and How-to's to be EXTREMELY useful; thank you so much for putting this up. This is a great site when searching for previously asked questions and problems and asking questions but finding the real specific info is often hard without weeding through a bunch of unrelated topics/posts/threads, myturbodiesel.com is better organized for these sorts of things (FAQ's, and How-to's) IMO :D

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thank you, it's nice to hear positive comments. Looking at my web traffic, I can see many people look at my site and then ask questions on this site because of the larger membership. Part of the problem of a good FAQ site is that your question is already answered so why post? Info changes and keeping it up to date has been the equivalent of a full time job, something that I have done only with the support of some nice comments, a few google ads, and sponsorship from KermaTDI, much of which goes back to my users in the form of my writeup contest prizes. However, a good forum is nothing without heavy traffic and more traffic is here which is why I visit, you visit, and am interested in. A single source is great but many sources is better.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI
I found it too a few months ago and you did a nice job on it.

Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta wagon
^^^Agreed. Your site is extremely helpful and really easy to find the information you're looking for quickly. Wow, 4-5K hours, that's over two years of full time work! I would be happy to do whatever I can to support your site, finding correct, detailed information when I need it is valuable indeed. Thanks

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Absolutely a great site and the information is current and relevant. The effort you put into it shows clearly in the end product.

Funny how an outdated FAQ here on the club about K&N Filters that actually recommends their use all the while being the bane of many old time members brought us to discussing your site,

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i also enjoy myturbodiesel..

however, has anybody started a TDi wiki? That would be the easiest way, I would think..

yes, the tdiclub FAQ still recommends K&N filters..

matt

tinkoo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
OKAY SO DONT RIP ME A NEW ONE FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION.
I got a gifted K&N filter for my 2004 PD Jetta. It was in the car for 2 days before I took it out fearing the worst.
I met a mechanic who told me I should put the filter back in. When I told him why I had taken it out he insisted that as long as I dont oil the K&N it was fine and would be better than the stock style filters.
You are now free to verbally abuse me :)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I got a gifted K&N filter for my 2004 PD Jetta. It was in the car for 2 days before I took it out fearing the worst.
I met a mechanic who told me I should put the filter back in. When I told him why I had taken it out he insisted that as long as I dont oil the K&N it was fine and would be better than the stock style filters.
The mechanic is on crack. Un-oiled, they will catch very little dust. That's the point of the oil.

Stick with the OE-style paper element. It's got the best filtration, and there really aren't any performance gains to be had in trying to reduce restriction on a turbocharged motor. Someone once posted a picture of a twin-turbo Audi V6 engine sucking its air through an airbox that's the same size as ours. Restriction isn't the issue.

jasonTDI

TDI
I agree, boot him as he does not know what he speaks of other than the commercial hype they would have you believe. I've seen many turbos with sand-blasted fine from these POS filters.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
If K&N are so great, ask yourself why are they not used as OEM?
As the manufactures are always looking for performance and mileage gains.
Just stray away from K&N and stay with OEM dry paper filters.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Thank you, it's nice to hear positive comments. Looking at my web traffic, I can see many people look at my site and then ask questions on this site because of the larger membership. Part of the problem of a good FAQ site is that your question is already answered so why post? Info changes and keeping it up to date has been the equivalent of a full time job, something that I have done only with the support of some nice comments, a few google ads, and sponsorship from KermaTDI, much of which goes back to my users in the form of my writeup contest prizes. However, a good forum is nothing without heavy traffic and more traffic is here which is why I visit, you visit, and am interested in. A single source is great but many sources is better.

Your site is a very good source,for information about VW TDI.The DIY section is very good.It's hard to cover ever little detail on each project.When people have a question Fred's is the place to go among other things.Both sites have strong niche in the TDI world that is growing:D I like reading about the older TDI models and therequirk'ss.I think it is better both sites work together,they are a lot of work.We knowbandwidthh is not free(except ourgovernmentt) that joke nothing more.So you and Fred should try to worksomethingg outMaybey it is time to take Fred's TDI and make it a true TDI club?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The only air filter of this kind that I might consider would be the Amsoil EA nanofiber air filter; it captures more dirt than regular cellulose filters, but is not oiled; it can be cleaned with either vacuum or compressed air, then reused.

I have not tried one yet because several years ago I stocked up on OE MANN air filters and I still have one or two left. But eventually I plan to switch to the EA air filter, as it appears to be superior to the OE filter. I would never, ever, consider using a K&N air filter.

The air filter is the most important filter, far more so than the oil filter or fuel filter; the OE air filters work pretty well, but if or when I switch it will be to a better filter, not to one which does not clean the incoming air so well.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

Last edited:

dmcchesney

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

seriously....did you read the thread? leave the paper in there. my tdi was over double stock hp. on paper elements.....
Jason I apologize I do not know anything about air filters. So that k&n isn't good. Which would you recommend buying?