cracked engine block

bigburrito

TDI
1998 X 2, 2000,2001
Looking for advice. 2001 golf tdi with about 90K miles had been running just fine when it developed a low rumbling noise worse on accelleration and low RPMs, otherwise ran great, no oil loss, etc. Took into small VW dealer and was told the motor mounts were bad. Before job is done I get a call that the engine block is cracked. Does this make sense? What should I do?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Personally I would look for an independent VW knowledgeable mechanic and let them check it out.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
The bolts on the mount on the right side on the engine most likely was not tight and it broke part of the block away..I have seen where people have driven for years with just two bolts holding it on though..

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Get the car out of there, and to someone who's knowledgeable about TDI's. A cracked block implies a catastophic engine failure, if they're using that terminology to describe a broken mounting ear, they don't know what they're doing.