EGR Valve Oil Weeping with CCV Filter Mod - Where is the oil coming from?

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
My EGR valve is weeping oil.
I've searched and read lots about EGR weeping. I just did a intake clean, so I assume the chemicals from that caused the vulnerable EGR diaphragm to fail. I understanding that the 'best' way to fix this is to replace. (I'm not interested in plugging the valves or MO Golf's rebuild). Ok, I know how to fix it, but I'm concerned about the source of the oil.

After a CCV mod, most people with EGR weep have only had pressure escape, and not oil.
There has been talking about other sources of oil being from the turbo, but I haven't seen anyone give a definite answer.

My question is:
-where is the oil coming from if it isn't from the crank case?
-Is this small amount of oil from that source normal?
-Should i just replace the EGR and not worry about it?

Thanks for any input.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Did you check it with a MityVac hand pump/gauge or equivalent? It could just be you got solvents etc in the backside of the diaphragm and they are seeping out.

As long as the vac pump is working, there is no way for oil to get there. If the diagphragm is indeed leaking, any oil should migrate towards the vac pump.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Keith_J said:
Did you check it with a MityVac hand pump/gauge or equivalent? It could just be you got solvents etc in the backside of the diaphragm and they are seeping out.

As long as the vac pump is working, there is no way for oil to get there. If the diagphragm is indeed leaking, any oil should migrate towards the vac pump.
Keith, the diaphragm has nothing to do with the oil leak--the oil is coming from the intake, past the (leaky) valve stem seal, and into the atmospheric side of the valve and then out the vent hole. It's all happening on one side of the diaphragm.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
We checked the pump when cleaning the intake it was fine.
The solvent could be it. I'll drive for a bit a keep my eye on it.

After reading all the threads about EGR weeping, I still don't know. What is the possible sources of oil, if not from the crankcase?

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
N_J said:
We checked the pump when cleaning the intake it was fine.
The solvent could be it. I'll drive for a bit a keep my eye on it.

After reading all the threads about EGR weeping, I still don't know. What is the possible sources of oil, if not from the crankcase?
NJ--you said that you read a bunch of threads on this topic--but how carefully?

The oil is coming from the air intake path, past the leaky EGR valve stem seal and out the atmospheric vent hole (all on one side of the diaphragm). The oil gets into the intake from two places--the crankcase vent and the turbo bearing. Most all diesel engines have some oil in the intake because of these sources.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
redmondjp said:
NJ--you said that you read a bunch of threads on this topic--but how carefully?
I did read them carefully. In my initial post I said

N_J said:
After a CCV mod, most people with EGR weep have only had pressure escape, and not oil.
There has been talking about other sources of oil being from the turbo, but I haven't seen anyone give a definite answer.
redmondjp said:
The oil is coming from the air intake path, past the leaky EGR valve stem seal and out the atmospheric vent hole (all on one side of the diaphragm). The oil gets into the intake from two places--the crankcase vent and the turbo bearing. Most all diesel engines have some oil in the intake because of these sources.
Thanks, This is what I wanted to confirm. As it isn't from the crankcase (CCV Mod), I just wanted to confirm that it is from the turbo bearing and that it is normal to have some oil from the turbo bearing.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
hey nj how is the inlet to the intake from the ccv filter? I know my previous one still had some oil vapours going back into the intake seems like this new version does not have that issue.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
The tube going back to the intake seems really clean. No oil. It's possible though. I know it's not 100%.
The weeping seems to have lighten up a bit (in quantity and thickness). So I think it may just be solvent.
I also ran the car last night and rev it up and put my hand in front of the value. I couldnt' feel any escape or hear a hiss from there, so sounds like it's ok.

I'll keep monitoring it.

Thanks guys.

BTW Eric, what did you do in your new version to improve this?

Also, because of oil from the turbo bearing is a CCV mod futile?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I had wingnut's version 3.0 i think it was using a hydraulic filter from PA but the filter media was way to big... I found with the new set up a stainless scrubber pad works awesome and no issues so far :)