Gear ratios in manual transmission

SCVW

TDI
98 beetle
I have a 1998 TDI NB. This car was previously owned by my folks and 3 years ago my mother failed to use the clutch while coming to a stop. The car was nearly totaled and needed new engine mounts a new transmission and clutch plate. After the repairs the engine light kept coming on before they could ever get it home from the shop. They grew frustrated and gave the car to me. I took it to a mechanic that is certified for VW who chased down the issue eventually.
I had driven the car before her mishap and afterwards questioned if possibly the wrong transmission and or gearing had been installed as the RPM seemed very high for highway speeds. She said no it seemed fine to her. I asked the shop that I had do some early work on it for me, and they dismissed it as not possible. I call the local VW dealership, again I was told it was not possible to put the wrong transmission on the TDI motor.
I recently took it to a new shop that was recommended to me and explained my suspission and they confirmed that yes the wrong transmission and or gearing was installed based on RPM/speed values.
The dealership that originally did the transmission swap has since gone out of business. VW customer care says that it has been longer than 12 monthes so sorry nothing they will do.
Now the VW dealer is saying the only difference between what we have and what we should have is the 5th gear and for basically $500 parts and labor he can swap those out for us.

Any thoughts or recomendations?

Thanks

-Sean