Pressed fitting came out, best bubble gum to use?

caminuvik

TDI
99.5 Jetta;2004 Jetta wagon
2004 Jetta TDI wagon. On the EGR Cooler flapper one of the fittings for coolant came out. Any suggestions on best sealant-retainer to use to keep the sucker in. Believe flapper is quite expensive? Not much room to work on. Not sure of best course of actions. Thanks Cam

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I'm leaning towards brazing, silver-solder, or something like that. If you can take it to a welding shop they may be able to help you out.

Another option would be to drill the hole to the right size for a threaded fitting, like a 5/16" hose-barb to 1/8" NPT, or maybe 1/4" NPT. I'm unsure of the sizes without looking at it.

Maybe JB Weld as a last resort. It's a type of epoxy.

caminuvik

TDI
Like the bearing press fitting loctite idea, not sure but is there a high strength green sleeve retainer locite? Not a good day today wind storm last night 6:30 took out power, 3 trees across my driveway, hydro did not repair line till noon today, then the chain saw work. Hope to get a ride to town tomorrow and get something to try. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
Like the bearing press fitting loctite idea, not sure but is there a high strength green sleeve retainer locite? Not a good day today wind storm last night 6:30 took out power, 3 trees across my driveway, hydro did not repair line till noon today, then the chain saw work. Hope to get a ride to town tomorrow and get something to try. Thanks for the suggestions.
I believe they have different varieties for the amount of gap and temp.

caminuvik

TDI
Ordered Loctite 648, NAPA has to special order it from Alberta, should be here Tuesday. If this does not work, can egr 'bypass flap' for the cooler be removed as a separate unit?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I would think you could just connect the two hoses together. If this is the bypass flap that you are talking about you could probably disconnect the vacuum hose from the actuator and plug it. Then T into the one vacuum hose with the check valve for full time vacuum. This would allow full time EGR cooling which would warm up the heater core faster.

caminuvik

TDI
Big learning curve here, I had not thought about an egr delete, but have been reading up on them. The deal breaker is the vehicle inspection issue. I like JB05's idea simple, cheap, and egr cooling :); I will pick up a "T" and a connection when I am in town next. Not sure of location of the actuator, (Bently not helping, different name?) Thanks

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I'll bet there is a bunch of them for sale in the classified from folks who did a EGR delete. If nothing else post a WTB post and someone will sell you one. I had one but I used it the other day when bolt broke off in the one I was working on. I wanted to delete that one, but customer declined.

caminuvik

TDI
Yes, checked ebay and they seem readily available. The electricain working on my place picked up the 648 Loctite and I stuck the fitting back in, it will be at full strength tomorrow morning. See what happens, if successfull will pick fittings suggested byJB05, as Ed Kb6nl's concern could be validated. Would replace egr cooler but tying to build a home and the time thing with bad vehicle luck is biting my ____ . Fuel pump died in my 80 chev with a dump. Missed out on clean fill being loaded for free by a neighbour. :rolleyes:

caminuvik

TDI
Gave it a good work out for 50 km, seems good so far, will do the trip to Kamloops tomorrow for plan "B" preparation. Placed small witness mark on it so I can somewhat monitor it.