G60/VR6 clutch owner,Any problem with starter?

vitesse

Veteran Member
Maybe I'm wrong but I recall some tread talking about the difference in diameter between the tdi flywheel and the bigger one from the g60. There was also a concern about the relation between the starter and the flywheel. So what are the conclusion. Does it work well?

------------------
Golf GL TDI
Bilstein sport/Eibach
17" AEZ Radon/225-45-17 AVON ZZ1
K&N, UPSOLUTE chip My TDI

Doug the bug

Veteran Member
I met you in Orangeville in the fall. We test drove Tazz's car. I'm going to have a GTG in Barrie first weekend in February and do the chip thing. I'd like to know more about the clutch upgrade in case the Upsolute makes it a necessary evolution.
Doug

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Doug: I would not say "in case" .. more like "when". Unless you drive like Ric ( which means you wouldn't have a need for the chip anyway!) you will be putting in a new clutch soon. I would keep that in mind when chipping. OTOH, I don't think that the problem is so bad with the A3's. I think that the funky new flywheel on the A4's has something to do with the clutch slipping sooner.

Steve T: Thanks for the good words on the upgrade. I have all the parts here for mine
and I will be having it done sometime next week, depending on when the shop calls
with an opening for me to get it in.

Drive it like you stole it!

M

mickey

The G60 flywheel is approximately 2mm larger in diameter than the stock A4 flywheel. So the difference in radius is only about 1mm.

-mickey

Steve T

Veteran Member
Doug

I remember taking the ride.
I will try and make the gtg and I am glad to offer any assistance that I can. If I go, I will try and remember to bring my old flywheel with me so you can have a look at it. Will you be posting instructions on how to get there?

Vhunter

I'm glad I could help! Don't forget to get the longer bolts (6 of them) for the pressureplate to bolt to the flywheel.

Steve

Doug the bug

Veteran Member
Steve
The directions are now posted...Bring that flywheel but don't let my wife see it...we can talk about it in the cone of silence.
Doug

------------------
2000 Jetta TDI
Cool White with Road Salt Hi-lites

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Got the bolts a while back.. thanks! now just waiting to get the work done.

Drive it like it wuz stolen!