Glow plug circuit malfunction

emp3283

TDI
1999 new beetle
I have a 1999 NB. Would having cracks or breaks in the glow plug harness cause a CEL with a P0380 code? I got the CEL over a month ago and without a vag-com have tried to diagnosis the problem the best I can. I found cracks and breaks on the glow plug harness where it attaches to the glow plugs in two different spots. One is so bad you can almost see the glow plug through the crack, the other is just a split. Should I dig deeper or just replace? I have found the harness online and most places sell it for $65. Does that sound about right? Also, what is involved in replacing it? Is it a cut and splice deal? Thanks

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Glow plug harness

Replace harness> cut & splice> solder splice & use heat shrink tubing. Been covered many times before. Might want to check out Glow plug 101 thread in my signature.:cool:

manganos

Veteran Member
TDI
not yet
Yes and Yes it is very easy to replace. I just did one in my 00 TDI. My old one was fine but I replaced it the same time I replaced my glowplugs.

quipstad

Veteran Member
TDI
99.0 NB
I have the same exact problem in my 1999 NB. "Glow Plug/Heater Circuit A Malfunction" - P0380

but my harness looks fine, and all the glow plugs are ok - TDI mechanic says so. I've been dealing with this CEL for 8 months now and I'm tired of it. Is it worth the $65 dollar risk to replace if it's NOT the harness?