Golf 7 arrives in 2015 to US... but I saw one!

abbottt

TDI
2012 4D DSG
So I was driving on 50 heading into downtown Washington, DC and as I look to my right... there is a Golf 7 in black with hub caps right next to me. It turned right at the next intersection before I could snap a picture while driving ;). No... I'm not crazy! My girlfriend was the one that noticed it - "what model VW is that?" of course I freaked out and wanted to follow it for the picture, but she had plans and we were already late. The guy that was driving had a VW black polo shirt (that's how close he was) but it didn't have anything weird on it like test cars usually do. It looks awesome! :D

I took my car in for service this morning and the dealer (Alexandria VW) told me that they will be arriving in the US by 2015 and the TDI version a little afterwards.

Has anybody else seen it?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Unless there are significant positive changes to the fuel and exhaust systems vs recent history, I'm thinking the 1.8T may be a better value. Diesel systems are getting way too complex for my wallet.

85Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr TDI w/DSG
The fuel system is to be rumored to be the one from the new Passat which isn't showing any fatigue or failures (yet). And The Intake now has the Air to Water intercooler, so no more Icing issues. The exhaust has the DPF and Catalytic Converter in one unit right after the Turbo, so heat up and flash time of the system is reduced and simplifies the entire system since you don't need all the other systems after the dpf and first cat as we have on current models. So lighter, less complicated exhaust, better fuel system with urea to clean up exhaust, and better intercooling for more immediate throttle response.

But this is just from what I read on the next gen 2.0CR TDI that VW has release for EU. WILL we get this system? Gotta wait till 2014 most likely for more info...

85Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr TDI w/DSG
I'm going out on a limb here and going with what the "ricer" crowd in this area shouts out at their meets...

"air to air cools better dawg"

In fact Air to Water is better and more consistant. Water AND Metal takes more energy to heat up/cool down vs air. So when you are pushing air through an air to air intercooler, that intercooler can heat up real quick, and the air isn't going to cool the Intercooler down fast enough for the Air inside to react to the temperature changes. The Air To Water Intercooler though will allow a more EVEN air temperature, and allow for a more efficient ride. Why do you think they are using Passat TDIs for the Guiness World Record breakers???

Air to Water means consistant temps, less fluctuation in efficiency, AND with less fluctuation in demand of fuel/air mix changes, less strain on the HPFP. As well as the combination of Urea, The entire system works together for a more efficient and more reliable vehicle. The Golf TDI with DSG is rated 32/40, The Passat TDI is rated Higher up to 43 MPG highway.

So, I prefer air to water.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Did the license plate say "HQ" on it? If so, then it's a headquarters car. I might go for a cruise out to Herndon to see what's in the parking lot.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Personal preference really. I have had both, air to water needs more maintenance and has more parts that can break (water pump, etc). Air to air is a simpler system and at the end of the day, they both do the job - air to air will also me more resistant to heat soak.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Air to air also has that nagging little problem of freezing condensation from that lp egr. Water to air for me if lp egr is used. Bring on water to air, def, a more reliable hpfp... and then I'm a buyer.

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
As well as the combination of Urea, The entire system works together for a more efficient and more reliable vehicle.

So, I prefer air to water.
which is ironic considering you were *****ing about "all this complicated BS on new cars" in the other thread haha

abbottt

TDI
2012 4D DSG
I don't remember the license plate.

When I told the sales person at the dealer I had seen one, he gave me the crazy guy face.

I don't know what the whole discussion is on air to air or air to water is about. I talked to the shop manager and asked him about HPFP failure and he said he's only seen two so far. Both of them 2010, one Passat and one JSW, he also mentioned that in the case it does happen they will cover it for up to 60,000 miles.

85Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr TDI w/DSG
which is ironic considering you were *****ing about "all this complicated BS on new cars" in the other thread haha

If you read the entire post, I was saying it is simplified, and more reliable. For once a car company is learning from mistakes and simplifying everything.

The urea injection is just another way to conform to the mandate by the EPA to lower exhaust emissions. AS it is now, it is a theory that the Diesel tech now is actually producing less pollution than it injests in the intake!

The DPF/Cat is one unit, the Intercooler is Water to Air, and the Urea is a proven tech with no malfuctions other than user error on not filling, and all but the new dpf/cat set up is in use on the Passat and with no reliability issues reported.

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
The DPF/Cat is one unit, the Intercooler is Water to Air, and the Urea is a proven tech with no malfuctions other than user error on not filling, and all but the new dpf/cat set up is in use on the Passat and with no reliability issues reported.
adding a system for a second water path and control for the air/water, along with another system for pumping/injecting DEF is not simplifying the car.

i welcome the technology (its what i do for a living) but dont fool yourself into thinking either are more simple than what theyre replacing (theyre not), or free from their own inherent issues (crystalization of urea comes to mind).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It depends on how you look at it. From engine management and emissions compliance standpoints, it is probably less complicated even though it involves more parts.

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
It depends on how you look at it. From engine management and emissions compliance standpoints, it is probably less complicated even though it involves more parts.
its in fact significantly more complicated. you now have more parts to calibrate/create controls for, more monitoring for OBD failures as youve increased the complexity of the emissions systems, etc.

Jason4

TDI
2012 Golf
From an engine management standpoint it is at least as complicated to include SCR and an air-to-water intercooler. The intercooler might simplify air intake temperature map calibration because there is less variation in temps but I'd bet that there is a variable speed water pump on that circuit. SCR will reduce tailpipe NOx emissions but it drives more diagnostics for NOx sensors, SCR injectors, crystalization, sensor poisoning, and NOx conversion efficiency. From a controls standpoint it is much more complicated.

Like VCG it's beneficial to me and like other here have said, if it solves the icing issue and brings better fuel economy then I might buy into a more complicated system being beneficial. By the time a mk7 is available in the use I'll probably have 75k on my Golf and will be tempted by a refresh.

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
There are a bunch of Mk7s at HQ right now. Mk7 GTI, two Mk7 TDIs and a base model Mk7. There is also a Scirrocco R and a B8 RS4.

I work across the street from HQ and see the cars driving around all the time and have stopped by to walk through the parking lot.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Golf 7 is here since September 2012. Why can't someone just go to US with their car? :)