Engine cut out question

Erney

TDI
None yet
A couple of days ago I was test driving a 2010 Jetta TDI with DSG transmission. It was the salesman's demo with 5000km on the clock. I took it down the highway for 4-5 miles and over the overpass and the cloverleaf to return. While accelerating down the on-ramp the engine went dead on me for about 1/2 a second. It happened so fast that I even wondered whether it really happened or not. :eek: I didn't mention it to the sales person for this reason.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with a TDI?

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Erney said:
A couple of days ago I was test driving a 2010 Jetta TDI with DSG transmission. It was the salesman's demo with 5000km on the clock. I took it down the highway for 4-5 miles and over the overpass and the cloverleaf to return. While accelerating down the on-ramp the engine went dead on me for about 1/2 a second. It happened so fast that I even wondered whether it really happened or not. :eek: I didn't mention it to the sales person for this reason.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with a TDI?
At least you know not to buy that one. Every car made has at least a few Lemons. If a car does that on a test drive it might end up with a lot of problems.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Lefty said:
At least you know not to buy that one. Every car made has at least a few Lemons. If a car does that on a test drive it might end up with a lot of problems.
What? Take a look in the A5 section. This is called the "Warm Up Hiccup" and has been happening to '09s since they started coming off the assembly line. I thought the issue had been addressed with the '10s but apparently not. It's annoying, but I haven't heard of any cars actually braking down because of it.

It's a quirk of the EGR system.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
MayorDJQ said:
What? Take a look in the A5 section. This is called the "Warm Up Hiccup" and has been happening to '09s since they started coming off the assembly line. I thought the issue had been addressed with the '10s but apparently not. It's annoying, but I haven't heard of any cars actually braking down because of it.

It's a quirk of the EGR system.
Never read the A5 section, maybe I should.

Erney

TDI
None yet
MayorDJQ said:
This is called the "Warm Up Hiccup" and has been happening to '09s since they started coming off the assembly line. I thought the issue had been addressed with the '10s but apparently not. It's annoying, but I haven't heard of any cars actually braking down because of it. It's a quirk of the EGR system.
That sounds like it. I just Googled <VW "Warm Up Hiccup"> and the posts came up with the same problem that I found. So I guess I didn't imagine it.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
My '09s been doing it since it had about 200 miles on it. It rarely happens on a cold start, but is pretty predictable on subsequent restarts. It usually happens 30-60 seconds after a warm-restart, say after going into the supermarket. Brisk acceleration through 2000RPM once during that time will usually prevent it from being felt.

synergy_man

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan
I thought the "hiccup" problem only occurred with 09' & '10 TDI's with manual transmissions?

That sounds like it. I just Googled <VW "Warm Up Hiccup"> and the posts came up with the same problem that I found. So I guess I didn't imagine it.