manual to auto engine swap

walmer88

TDI
03 golf 2dr BOB 5 speed
I have a 03 golf 5speed engine went bad (due to dealer f-up) so I got an engine out of a 03 jetta auto
Swapped fly wheel over and put clutch on engine is in car and running good except at idle
It runns really rough and almost sound like a miss
I did put a new timing Belt on but don't have axcess to vagcom to check the timing
I think i have a vacuum leak which I am working on finding also i was wondering if the IQ setting would need adjustment because of the idle load change via manual tranny
Any suggestions would help

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
I have a 03 golf 5speed engine went bad (due to dealer f-up) so I got an engine out of a 03 jetta auto
Swapped fly wheel over and put clutch on engine is in car and running good except at idle
It runns really rough and almost sound like a miss
I did put a new timing Belt on but don't have axcess to vagcom to check the timing
I think i have a vacuum leak which I am working on finding also i was wondering if the IQ setting would need adjustment because of the idle load change via manual tranny
Any suggestions would help
You need a vcds to check timing and IQ. There is really no other efficient way to figure out the problem.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I'm going to follow this one to learn more.
Me too, except I'm not sure what I'm going to learn. But, anything to do with engine swap will be an education, since I've done a TDI to TDI before, but will probably be doing a TDI into a 1.8t wagon (5 speed both) chassis this spring.

For the OP. Did you hear this "new" donor engine run before the swap? Any history on it? Never trust a donor engine that there is no reliable history for and/or wasn't a good running specimen first.

walmer88

TDI
03 golf 2dr BOB 5 speed
I didn't get to hear the engine run I was in a pinch and had to get the car back on the road
I saw the car it can out of and the whole drive train that he pulled
The guy was a pretty knowledgeable and had alot of this engines around so I'm talking his word for it and hoping there is still good people in this world lol

It runs great no problems at all except at idle or when you break and if you pump the breaks you can hear the turbo change because loss off vacum which is a problem it self and I'm hoping to have it fixed this weekend
Epoxy the loose vaccum pump nipple
Delete unneeded asv / egr vacum lines
Install new check valve because my flows both ways
Inspect brake booster lines

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
It runs really rough and almost sound like a miss
might need injection quantity adjusted. I suppose I should ask if you used your injection pump or the "new" one? The auto IP has 11 mm plunger and the manual IP has 10mm plunger. Should work for you though but if you used the auto pump then this pretty much assures you'll have to adjust IQ.

.... but don't have axcess to vagcom to check the timing
Not good.. Your gonna need to set that AND use vagcom to check injection quantity. I suppose you could "hammer mod" blind and might be able to make it ok.

.... if the IQ setting would need adjustment because of the idle load change via manual tranny

Yes... that might be what your runs rough and "misses" complaint might be. You can check for this real easy with vagcom by looking at measuring blocks group one and seeing if IQ drops really low (like 1 or 0). If so then you'll need to hammer mod.