MFI MPG trip calc? how does it work?

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
hi, so i have a question. just got my GOLF TDI 6MT over a week ago and did my first fill up this weekend.
avrg around 36 MPG, but i was driving car per breakin advice around LA, so RPM"s got some work out for sure.
anyways, everyone keeps saying that their MFI gives them a certain MPG read out *(which it doesn, and its great, this is my first VW or a car that does this), but for example people are saying that their MFI MPG read out is lets say 40 MPG, while calculating by hand could be a little off,
i thought MFI TRIP calc resets every time you shut off your engine? so how do i get my MFI to show MPG's per fill up and not per every little trip i do? or am i missing something?
thanks

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
You're missing something: the second, or cumulative, display.
There's an up/down button used to scroll through the trip display (display 1). Near it is another button that is pressed and released to switch between trip (1) and cumulative (2), or pressed and held to re-zero the data of the display presently shown.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I reset the cumulative display (#2 on my Jetta MFD, not sure about the Golf) every time I refuel to give me an idea of what kind of mileage I'm getting on that particular tank. After 50 fuel ups I've found it to be pretty accurate, usually within +-1 mpg of the hand calculated figure. The trip display #1 is just for my daily amusement. I assume your Golf also has the instantaneous mileage readout, which is a very good way to modify your driving style to get better fuel economy. Have fun.

Last edited:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
i have fuelly, and i do keep track of every one of my fill ups, i even make my gf give me her receipts w/ milage on it every one of her fill ups and i do it for her as well.
but on the MFI, i have 2 MPG read outs: 1. i think this is trip MPG, it has #1 and a 0/ crossed out next to it. 2. is the instant MPG, i tried going through menu and have not found MPG per fill up, that little button next to RPM's, that resets your trip milage count, i use that every time i fill up to reset my trip to 0 so i know how many miles i get to the tank, i jsut want my GOLF to show me same thing per that total trip count not just daily trips. i guess ill have to read more of the manual, which i have not read cover to cover yet. been too busy enjoying driving :)

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
That little "0" crossed out is the symbol for "average". Hopefully this figure shows up:

Ø

The "1" displayed lets you know there's at least another page to view.

On the right side of the steering wheel, there's a set of controls with up/down/left/right and then a center button. When you're on the average fuel economy screen, press the center button. That should switch you to the second screen and you can see the mileage since fill-up.

Come to think of it, it might be simply cumulative. I think I had to reset mine when I filled up.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
savowood said:
That little "0" crossed out is the symbol for "average". Hopefully this figure shows up:

Ø

The "1" displayed lets you know there's at least another page to view.

On the right side of the steering wheel, there's a set of controls with up/down/left/right and then a center button. When you're on the average fuel economy screen, press the center button. That should switch you to the second screen and you can see the mileage since fill-up.

Come to think of it, it might be simply cumulative. I think I had to reset mine when I filled up.
thanks, you're absolutelly right, i tried it this morning before going to work, by pressing OK it shows me average since the very first minute car drove of the lot, and total time as well, and average speed as well.

so
Ø 1 is for short trips (every time you shut off your engine?)
Ø 2 is for total untill you reset? looks like for me this time it means last 2 tanks of driving. now question: how do i reset Ø2 average trip counter? i will do it next time i fill up, but i'd like to know how.
thanks

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I have our MFI set to the trip mpg, which stays for up to 2 hours between stops. Hitting the "OK" button takes me to the tank mpg, IF I zero it out every time I fill up by holding the "OK" button in. What I do is zero out the trip odometer for each tank and zero out the MFI. The MFI is usually within 0.2 mpg of the tank fill value.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
RalphVa said:
I have our MFI set to the trip mpg, which stays for up to 2 hours between stops. Hitting the "OK" button takes me to the tank mpg, IF I zero it out every time I fill up by holding the "OK" button in. What I do is zero out the trip odometer for each tank and zero out the MFI. The MFI is usually within 0.2 mpg of the tank fill value.
yea thats what im gonna do is Zero out my TANK MPG every time i fill up.
i do like to keep my Trip MPG on when i drive to have a more instant average MPG, so holding down OK button on TANK MPG will reset? great thanks i will do this

nadroba

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Jetta
Ø 1 is for short trips (every time you shut off your engine?)
In all my previous vw's the partial resets by itself 2 hrs after you shut off your engine or better told, after you remove the key from the switch.