Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes - if less than $50.pp

• no - snorkel removal to clean is fine

• Total voters

tsterkel

Veteran Member
I am looking into a DYI mod that moves the screen into the filter box so I can clean more readily. No ideas as yet, but there are lots of cheap electro-static filters I can cut up for this purpose.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
jmuir had a good suggestion of using a cone type permenant coffee filter instead of the screen. you could just jb weld it to the box.

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
Mmmmmmmm coffee.....A new sign of obsession???? starting the day with nice steaming cup of snowscreen debris brew????

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I really don't think the snowscreen is _THAT_ inaccessible! Its only a couple of torx screws...

cevans

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
No poll option for just removing the thing all together? After all, many of the North American cars don't even have snowscreens in them to begin with.........

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think the snowscreen is _THAT_ inaccessible! Its only a couple of torx screws...

cevans

[/ QUOTE ]

It is for New Beetle people...okay it's just a pity to get to.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I am thinking of making a hole and bringing air directly from the fender like the TT: </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I happened to be talking to the local VW service manager this weekend about different mods. (He is an avid modder and friend to those of us who do modding ourselves.) He mentioned that many of the gasser guys route the snorkel to that location. He tries to warn people away from that mod as each monsoon season he gets a dozen or more cars in his shop that have ingested water. If water hits that intake (home modded, not sure about factory), it gets sucked straight through the turbo and into intake manifold. Water, for all intent and purpose is incompressible, resulting in one huge repair bill.

I am sure the service manager likes the income for his shop, but does warn guys about this particular mod. I am sure it's his modder friendly attitude that helps. (His son just bought a R32.....)

YMMV

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tsterkel

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
No poll option for just removing the thing all together? After all, many of the North American cars don't even have snowscreens in them to begin with.........

[/ QUOTE ]
Already done on at least two other threads, go ahead a vote...

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
I'd caution against lowering the intake like in the picture...

I went thru a serious storm right after I got mine...the short of the story is, my air filter got so waterlogged that it split from the turbo suction. Just a little more water, and I'd have had a waterlogged engine. Which is bad news with a 19.5:1 compression ratio. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I ended up removing the short housing with the snowscreen in it. Yeah, I'm drawing a little warm air in from the engine compartment. No, I haven't seen a drop in preformance. And yeah, I rest a lot easier when I have to drive thru Tampa streets that look like they were built for jet skis.

Keith