Motor mount replacement

axisgarage

TDI
99 New Beetle
I’m looking for a how to on replacing the passenger mount and engine bracket on a 02 beetle. Is there one anyone can point me too. Not sure if I need to remove fuel filter and expansion tank or if I can just loosen and wiggle? Also any tricks or things to watch for.
Thanks

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Search here for the timing belt replacement document.
It has to be removed for that.

Expansion tank isn't that hard.
I'm pretty sure you have to remove the fuel filter.
It is a bit of a pain.
You will need hold the engine up when you disconnect it.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
just pull the coolant tank up and over with the hoses still attached. No need to remove hoses and drain
or fuel filter hoses for motor mount replacement. I like to loosen the engine bolts on the mount a little, remove the bolts on the frame end and then slightly jack up the engine until the weight is off the mount. This is a pretty easy job.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Before I forget (again) before you loosen the mount bolts going down into the frame watch where the bolts are.
The holes in the mount are slots and if the mount isn't aligned correctly you may get a vibration.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You can use a floor jack with a 2x4 board to spread the weight along the oil pan to lift the engine. Don't use the motor mount bolts to pull the engine into position, you should be able to use the jack to get it at the correct level and torque.

Also, the 4 main motor mount bolts are one time use. This means they need to be replaced. The torque values are as follows:
1) 18mm headed bolts - 74ft lbs
2) 16mm headed bolts - 30ft lbs, then 1/4 turn more.
3) small 13mm headed bolts - 18ft lbs.

Part kit for bolts.