Improving smoke on accelleration with VCDS?

freedomlives

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Transporter T5, 1999 Skoda Octavia I 1.9TDI
Tomorrow I've got emmission and technical control on my Octavia I. It has an AGR engine (like ALH).

Whenever I floor the accelerator, I get a cloud of black smoke out the back. Last time, it was necessary on the repeat test after failing the first time to "forget" a 10€ banknote on the seat.

Supposedly the car had been "chipped" when I bought it, but I wonder if there is anything I can do through VCDS to kind of "cool it off". I assume the problem is an aggressive amount of fuel being injected under heavy acceleration.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
I would try adapting the IQ, set if it’s somewhere between 3-5 at warm idle. The higher you set it, the less smoke you will have, but you will see a slight drop in performance. The steps are:
Engine>login>12233
Engine>adaptations>channel 1

freedomlives

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I think I actually did that before-- It is at 2.8 - 3.0, and I can't get it lower. Truth is the timing is all the way advanced, if not slightly too much, since the garage changed the head after a frozen water pump lead to belt slippage. But everything I read, is that advanced timing will mean anyway less smoke. (The water pump-- there was a leak in the cooling system, I was adding a pretty low mix of antifreeze, and one morning we got -20C cold snap suddenly-- and I guess it was slushy? It started, ran like ****, and then I pulled the valve cover to see destroyed tappets).

Looking at the intake manifold, I think there is dirt build up there, so I guess the only thing is to clean it real quick. Hope I can get that done in two hours.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Hammer mod on the pump until you get to 7-8.
You need higher values in adaptations for less fuel.

freedomlives

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me make sure I've got this straight--
I want a higher adaptation number because it gives me a lower number of mg IQ? e.g. I have IQ 3.0mg right now, and if I moved it down to 2.5mg, things should improve, right?

(The car had some chiptuning done before I got it, and who knows what else, so I guess it is possible that if the IQ in VCDS says 3.0mg, it could actually be getting 5.0mg)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
32645 in adaptation will get you the lowest fueling (and highest mg/str number...it works contrary to what you would think) without having to mechanically adjust the pump (hammer mod).

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The ECU expects a certain amount of fuel to be injected for a particular IQ based on a properly calibrated pump.

The ECU adjusts the fueling to maintain the 930 RPM idle regardless of what one has set the IQ to.

Off idle the ECU sets the fueling based on its programming. If you set the IQ to 2.5 at idle where the ECU normally sets 5.0 there's a 2.5 offset.

Now when the ECU sets 5.0 and gets feedback from the QA that it's at 5.0 it's actually at something higher. 7.5 If it's simply an offset and not some curvy function.

So if you want less smoke you adjust the IQ to a higher number so the ECU is setting what it thinks is maybe 10.0 but is actually 10.0 minus that offset.

I can't answer what adaptation does as far as higher number resulting in lower or higher IQ number since I've never messed with it.

I'd like to think tuners are more sophisticated than to just program in offsets like you propose in your last statement.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Have you checked you are getting enough boost?
Not enough air will give smoke.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If the turbo is not getting enough boost, that will cause smoke too. When you "floor it" does the engine hesitate while producing the black cloud?