Leaving out wiring on 02j swap

$600BeaterTdo

TDI
2000 gls tdi
Hello all, new to the forums here! I bought a 600 dollar tdi with a going 01m in it (surprise) so I bought a 5 speed, I’m all set for the 02j swap! Only question is, has anyone swapped the 02j and left the cruise out of the equation? Along with not re coding? I’m not to worried about making it perfect, I never use cruise (and that seem like the most confusing part of the swap) and I’m not worried about check engine lights. I don’t have a laptop for the vag com software, nor do I want to spend money on the mobile app. (600 dollar car here!). If not re coding is gunna screw up the drivability of the car then I’ll do it, but like I said, I’m not worried about having check engine lights. I know, “ I should just do it right” but I’m trying to pull this off over the weekend cause I need the car for work Monday, just trying to make this as simple as possible. (Later down the road I’ll get to re coding, but for now I just need to know if it’ll be drivable without doing so) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Btw it’s a 2000 gls Jetta tdi, transmission for a 99 tdi Jetta!

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Hello all, new to the forums here! I bought a 600 dollar tdi with a going 01m in it (surprise) so I bought a 5 speed, I’m all set for the 02j swap! Only question is, has anyone swapped the 02j and left the cruise out of the equation? Along with not re coding? I’m not to worried about making it perfect, I never use cruise (and that seem like the most confusing part of the swap) and I’m not worried about check engine lights. I don’t have a laptop for the vag com software, nor do I want to spend money on the mobile app. (600 dollar car here!). If not re coding is gunna screw up the drivability of the car then I’ll do it, but like I said, I’m not worried about having check engine lights. I know, “ I should just do it right” but I’m trying to pull this off over the weekend cause I need the car for work Monday, just trying to make this as simple as possible. (Later down the road I’ll get to re coding, but for now I just need to know if it’ll be drivable without doing so) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Btw it’s a 2000 gls Jetta tdi, transmission for a 99 tdi Jetta!
u can get the cheap dongle off of ebay and use that with vcds-lite to do the coding. and the cruise control reads like it's involved but really when you get in there it's a piece of cake. just check continuity like it suggests..

and yeah I'm pretty sure if you want to ghetto rig it... it will work but you will have some codes.

$600BeaterTdo

TDI
2000 gls tdi
u can get the cheap dongle off of ebay and use that with vcds-lite to do the coding. and the cruise control reads like it's involved but really when you get in there it's a piece of cake. just check continuity like it suggests..
and yeah I'm pretty sure if you want to ghetto rig it... it will work but you will have some codes.
I will try the wiring in full then if it’s really not that bad. And I will re code eventually but I don’t think the cable will be here by Monday. I just want to make sure it’ll be drivable without re coding until I can get one.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I really am glad I had a local TDI mechanic recode the ECU for manual, the idle and low rpm was a bit erratic running the auto tune.

I hooked up cruise control, but it didn't work and I never took the time to troubleshoot it.
And everything else worked well, the clutch switch was easy, I used my auto axles with gasser stubs (not sure if they are 1.8T or VR6).

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
I really am glad I had a local TDI mechanic recode the ECU for manual, the idle and low rpm was a bit erratic running the auto tune.

I hooked up cruise control, but it didn't work and I never took the time to troubleshoot it.
And everything else worked well, the clutch switch was easy, I used my auto axles with gasser stubs (not sure if they are 1.8T or VR6).
mine didnt work at first either turns out clutch pedal wasn't engaging the cruise switch enough to close it. pull on the switch rod a bit and it ratchets out. or try actvating cruise in vcds... one of those two did the trick.

$600BeaterTdo

TDI
2000 gls tdi

Awesome! That what I wanted to here. I’ll be sure to recode as soon as possible then. I got all parts needed from the doner car including axles.

$600BeaterTdo

TDI
2000 gls tdi
If anyone else is willing to throw some advice/wiring hangups (or any hangups in general) that they occurred I’ll be more than happy to listen :D

Thanks again guys! Very helpful

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You still need to wire up the reverse lights. That is about the same amount of work/skill as wiring up the cruise so you might as well just do it right.

If you don’t code it to manual and feed the ecu a clutch switch signal it will flare on shifts and generally not be as driveable as a properly swapped car. Just do it right.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
If you don’t code it to manual and feed the ecu a clutch switch signal it will flare on shifts and generally not be as driveable as a properly swapped car. Just do it right.
Forgot about the flaring on shift points without the recode. Do it right or not at all.

$600BeaterTdo

TDI
2000 gls tdi
UPDATE: swap is complete!! I’m in love! Since I like to go against the grain, I did not wire either clutch switches nor the cruise and had no issues! I just bypassed the clutch switch by wiring the brown wire to the black/blue so it would start. ( again...18yo $600 beater for work I’m not at all concerned about it being “factory”) Still waiting on my vag com cable to get here to recode. But it’s drivable until then. And guess what?! No rev flares! But since I spent 60 bucks on a nice cable I might as well use the sucker. Sorry if it offends anyone about not doing it “right” but to me, I have no use for clutch switches or cruise. If you start your car in gear that’s your own stupidity lol. Thanks again for the help! And a huge thanks to the men who did the write up! It was very helpful! I’ll see yins around��

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Yeah I’m not even sure why I know that.
Had a fellow come by one day who had done the conversion but had the flare pretty bad. Turned out to be the blue cruise control switch. He had done the recode but switch was bad so pin 66 was not getting anything.
UPDATE: swap is complete!! I’m in love! Since I like to go against the grain, I did not wire either clutch switches nor the cruise and had no issues! I just bypassed the clutch switch by wiring the brown wire to the black/blue so it would start. ( again...18yo $600 beater for work I’m not at all concerned about it being “factory”) Still waiting on my vag com cable to get here to recode. But it’s drivable until then. And guess what?! No rev flares! But since I spent 60 bucks on a nice cable I might as well use the sucker. Sorry if it offends anyone about not doing it “right” but to me, I have no use for clutch switches or cruise. If you start your car in gear that’s your own stupidity lol. Thanks again for the help! And a huge thanks to the men who did the write up! It was very helpful! I’ll see yins around��
No worries. As long as it’s working the way you want. :)