TDI/02m trans *BAD CLUTCH*

Hunter489

TDI
2000 ALH
Hey guys my clutch is going on my 2000 VW golf. It is a 1.9 ALH with a 02m transmission and I do not know what clutch I should get. I see lots of options and plenty of prices. I do not ever plan on going all out with this car. It will not see anything passed a vnt 17 turbo. I do not have a huge budget.

Do I want the single mass or dual mass fly wheel? What does the difference make?
Is there anything to stay away from?

I like this clutch here.
https://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk4124simafl.html

there are alot of options here,
https://www.fourseasontuning.com/clutch-10.html

and of course there are the south bend clutches
https://store.034motorsport.com/mkiv-volkswagen-1-8t-vr6-02m-6-speed-southbend-clutch-kit.html

Any information or what direction to steer would be awesome! I live in the valley so it is very hillE.

Thanks for the help!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
IF you intend to mildly modify the car, or not modify it at all, I'd buy a Luk RepSet and install that. The price is nice, the driving quality is excellent, and it has more holding power than the stock Sachs.

The other options with more holding power (1) cost more and (2) are SMF, so there will be materially more vibration/rattle at idle, which you may find objectionable. If you intend to crank the power output up you have no choice, but if not then IMHO don't do it.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
I went with Luk 17-050. Don't really like the plastic clips on the throwout bearing though but apparently they aren't critical.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
02M is a six-speed. the LUK 17-050 and some of the other clutches suggested won't fit. We have an SMF kit for $399 that we have made for us to Valeo specs, and also have a Valeo single mass conversion kit. The Valeo design is reasonably quiet, but other SMF kits are pretty loud at idle on that transmission. DMF kits start at about $800.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
02M is a six-speed. the LUK 17-050 and some of the other clutches suggested won't fit. We have an SMF kit for $399 that we have made for us to Valeo specs, and also have a Valeo single mass conversion kit. The Valeo design is reasonably quiet, but other SMF kits are pretty loud at idle on that transmission. DMF kits start at about $800.
Ah yes, good correction. Should have read that more closely.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
vr6 6 speed transmission!
No, a TDI 02M came from Europe. People, I know you are trying to help the OP but stop putting out bad info that will only confuse others.

Also shouldn't a clutch for a GLI work since they came with 6 speeds from the factory?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Also shouldn't a clutch for a GLI work since they came with 6 speeds from the factory?
Best answer to this question is "maybe." The clutches are the same, but they must be matched with the correct flywheel (LUK with LUK, Sachs with Sachs). And if the GLI is a VR6 the flywheel will have a different bolt pattern than a TDI engine. So the answer isn't that simple.

Hunter489

TDI
2000 ALH
https://www.kermatdi.com/i-62-sachs-power-clutch-for-tdi-with-g60-vr6-flywheel.html

That clutch with the mk4 trans bolts, clutch lever, release clip, pivot pin kit, and the mk4/B5.5 Rear main seal.

ALSO
What would tell me if I needed a throw out bearing or not? The car shifts fine and doesn't grind in any gears. The kit above does not come with one.. But others I see has them. They are around 100 dollars and I would rather not spend that if I didn't have to.

Last edited:

Hunter489

TDI
2000 ALH
Best answer to this question is "maybe." The clutches are the same, but they must be matched with the correct flywheel (LUK with LUK, Sachs with Sachs). And if the GLI is a VR6 the flywheel will have a different bolt pattern than a TDI engine. So the answer isn't that simple.

Meaning you need the Sachs clutch with G60/VR6 flywheel FOR THE TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You need a 232mm flywheel that has a bolt pattern for a 4 cylinder car (1.8T or TDI). And the flywheel has to match the clutch components. 5-speed (02A/02J) flywheels are 228mm.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
What would tell me if I needed a throw out bearing or not? The car shifts fine and doesn't grind in any gears.
The 02M uses a concentric combined slave cylinder/release bearing. Which means you have to remove the gearbox to change it. Generally it's one of those things you change when you can because it's so hard to get to.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I'm running this clutch on my 02M equipped Golf. It is very smooth and no issues with slipping.
I’ve put quite a few of these 02M kits in and have tried different clutch combinations. The one I have settled on for the 02M 6 speed is the one bobbiemartin links to. It’s the real deal for this trans and diesel application.
Done lots of business with the boys at darkside and they know their stuff.