03 jetta auto ?

TheBish

TDI
05 jetta auto
Been searching here and online about max upgrades before my auto goes s@#t? I was looking at a tune and nozzle upgrade . Not looking for wild just mpg with some pep . Thank you for your time in this matter

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
How many miles are on your Jetta? Are you aware replacing dead automatics with 5-speeds is a very common thing with MK4 owners? After that, you can add all (well almost) all the power you want. ;)

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
I have a 02 with the 01m auto trans. Tho its only a matter of time before this thing dies i wouldnt let it keep you from upgrading. I wouldnt be surprised if my HP is double from factory. Pp764 nozzles, vnt17 turbo, tune.

Trannys gonna die at some point anyways might as well have fun with it and then get a 5 speed

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
They konk out at stock power. I think the only safe HP for these is 0.
Completely not true.
Our 01M is going strong with nozzles and a tune.
For another example, Kerma has been running his 01M modded for many years.
He has a mod named after him (the Kerma mod) to up the pressure in the 01M.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
Some get lucky. Many don't. My 01m lasted until about 135,000 miles. Stock power only. Just putting in a manual trans felt like an increase in power. Good luck.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Best mpg improvement is the manual transmission. Work with the tuner for what you want for what you got.
On my old '99 5spd. I got 20-30% more power with just a stage 2, can't say mpg went up or down. I was very surprised.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the 01M is not the best slushbox out there for sure. About the only thing I would do is maybe stock manual injectors. Easy mod, give you a slight bump in power, and recode the TCM to fixed Sport mode and ditch the silly DSP.

I do not think the 01M is really any better or worse with the ALH than it is with any of the other engines VAG used them with. They just like to die no matter what. At least manual conversions seem to be common enough that the procedure is pretty cut and dried, as well as parts sourcing.

Still, if the 01M is still kicking, no reason to intentionally do anything to destroy it. So go easy on it and try and take care of it as best you can.

I am part of a Eurovan group too, and there is a post almost daily of a dead trans (the VR6 T4s used the "truck" version, the 01P, but it shares a lot of parts with the 01M). And what sucks even worse with those is that is the ONLY way ANY of the 1998+ Eurovans were sold here: with the pump sucking chain chucking VR6 and the rando-fail 01P slushbox. :(

TheBish

TDI
05 jetta auto
Turned 212000 miles today. I have been reading about the swap but have no time .I will look up the cost of one and again I'm looking to pull out in traffic not wait till the end. Thanks again for all the help.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
You will be happy with DLC520 nozzles and a tune that takes advantage of them.
I went up 8 clicks on the fluid regulator in the 01M (Kerma mod) but I'm not sure
that it made much of a difference. Do regular fluid/filter changes and enjoy it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So your car is an 05, not an 03? That is a different deal, the 05's had a way better transmission. Bish, I realize you are a newbie, so here is the easy thing: open the hood and see if there is a big belt driven pump attached to the engine, if so it is not an 05.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So did you just buy this car and the previous owner said it was an 03, and when you went to get insurance and register it the vin says it’s an 05?

There is a manufacturing date on the driver door jamb, what does that say?

dieselelevator

TDI
2003 golf tdi slushbox 2015 Passat tdi 6 speed
On a 5 speed trans swap does it have to be a tdi trans? Or can it be something else like a 1.8 turbo trans? I have a 2003 golf tdi auto and starting to have issues. But not many tdi 5 speeds laying around in North Carolina

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
Been searching here and online about max upgrades before my auto goes s@#t? I was looking at a tune and nozzle upgrade . Not looking for wild just mpg with some pep . Thank you for your time in this matter
almost all AT benefit from regular fluid filter changes. My Jetta 2002 AT died at 220 with good maintenance. My crappy avalanche and cummins pickup AT made it to 150 before dying. Now I change fluid every 20-25 K which my AT tranny shop recommends. They say 250-300 K miles are common on the GM and Dodge units if you keep the fluid clean. Not sure about the VW AT but suspect it is likely the same. Save your money for a 5 or 6 spd install and do the mods then when you have lots of room. Alternatively you can sell it now before it dies and replace it with one that has had the mods.