Can't find tires to hold traction on my 2002 Jetta TDI

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I grew up with snow 4-6 months of the year,sub freezing temps for most of it, and have really beaten on winter tires. Out here in vancouver it doesn't normally snow but Mark had some new Hakkapeliitta on his mk3 @ 22 psi with a diff last winter, and I've got to say I was really impressed with their traction in 30-50F rain, way better than the continental extreme contacts by 50F (10c). Ran them into the 80s and we've beaten the snot out of them. For a performance tire in lower temp conditions they're fantastic, no problems with them getting too hot with abusive road use.

Can't see them being much if any better than xice, ipikes or goodyear nordics in heavy snow(the latter two are solid cheaper options); but for performance use in colder rain? no contest. Of course winter tires aren't designed for summer use and will wear faster, once you're past 55F or so continental/michelin make solid "all season" rain tires. I've driven on ipikes at speed in ~8" of snow both on tarmac and gravel and they worked great, especially considering price. Treadwear is a consideration, any of the all season/touring tires up in the 600s probably aren't what you're looking for, harder compounds typically don't grip as well, more around 320-440 would probably be best.

Tires are your only contact with the ground and should be #1 priority in the budget.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
IMO you need to start by adding a Limited Slip Differential(LSD) to your car and then if you are still having traction issues, then upgrade your tires. Most open diffs are going to send power to the wheel with the least amount of grip. This is why you alway see 4x4 trucks getting stuck in the snow or mud since even though the truck is in 4x4 mode, it only send power to the 1 wheel up front with no traction and same for the rear.
Here's a good video about differentials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGvhvOhLHU

Some of your options for a LSD are
Peloquin
Quaife
Wavetrac
Kaaz

After getting one of those installed you notice a big difference in traction, since now you'll be sending power to both of your tires and doubling your contact patch that is going to be fighting for traction.

If you're still having issues after you get a LSD, then you can start looking into some Ultra High Performance All-Seasons or if you get snow where you're at you could get a set of winter tires and rims for November through early April. Then when it gets nicer you could swap to a set of Extreme or Max Performance Summer tires that will give you a ton of traction in the dry and just a little bit less in the rain.

The tires that I have experience with are:
BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R

The BFGoodrich has done quite well in the rain, but you'll be able to break the tires loose if you're going to get on it hard in 1st and 2nd. The other two tires will more than likely break traction in 1st, but they should hold in 2nd unless you have 200+ hp TDI that is making close to 350 lb/ft of torque.:eek: There's actually a rebate on the Bridgestone tires until the 8th for anyone looking into a set of Bridgestone tires;)

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Get some used 16" wheels. You'll find 'em on Craigslist. Lots of parting out going on. I think the Le Castellet were original on VR6's. Be aware you want 5x100 lug pattern.
Here are 3 sets of VW rims I found for sale. One has a crack they say can be fixed, is that true? Will all these sets fit my 02 Jetta? Click the links below.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/wto/d/bbs-rs-ii-18-8-audi-vw-8nz17/6298941666.html

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/wto/d/vw-mkiv-jetta-rims-wheels/6299123039.html

https://louisville.craigslist.org/wto/d/volkswagon-vw-wheels-and/6319030798.html

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Red,
The Wolfsburg are the only ones that are 16". IMO that's the size you
want. There is a ton of information in this thread, lots of learned and
experienced opinions.
You need to do more homework on finding the solution that works for you, your vehicle, driving style, conditions, budget, etc etc.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
ditto on the Conti PureContact tires. I have had lots of experience with them on wet roads now. Of course I can easily break them loose in lower gears with a heavy foot, but the transition isn't scary at higher speeds.

These tires actually drift on wet pavement with some controlability. I have felt it under acceleration at highway speeds in corners, like at 55mph in 4th with hard acceleration on a turn in wet pavement. These tires do not break loose as if they hit a wet skating rink. There are limits, but it is confidence inspiring. The FWD helps, I think.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5297266&postcount=22

The wheels were from Tire Rack... a closeout on some cheap 16" wheels. I think these wheels will begin losing the finish early compared to better brands, but that's OK. They will look great for years anyway.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Red,
The Wolfsburg are the only ones that are 16". IMO that's the size you
want.

I went ahead and picked up those Wolfsburgs today. Figured I could not go wrong at $40 for the set of 4. I do need to pressure wash them and maybe even sandblast them to get them clean. Would you powder coat them? Or would that damage them? Or would you just paint them?

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I went ahead and picked up those Wolfsburgs today. Figured I could not go wrong at $40 for the set of 4. I do need to pressure wash them and maybe even sandblast them to get them clean. Would you powder coat them? Or would that damage them? Or would you just paint them?
So what size tires would you put on these Wolfsburg 16 inch rims? 215/55-16? Can I use the lug nuts from my stock 15 inch wheels or do I need to buy special lug nuts for the Wolfsburg rims?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
But will the 215/55-16 work on the Wolfsburg 16 x 6.5 rim with my 02 Jetta?
Yes, they'll fit. Be aware that they are 25.3" diameter, and 10mm or
~ 3/8" wider track, stock size is 205/55/16, which is 24.9" OD.

This translates into tires that will actually have the correct speed on
the speedometer, and 5mm (3/16") less clearance side to side. Should be no problem at all. You should easily clear the fenders vertically;
and laterally, check for internal clearance with a hard lock on the steering. Should be just fine.

Lots of options for tires, everyone has their favorites. Ultra high performance tires will usually have the softest compounds, and
aggressive tread patterns. In my experience they'll give the best
grip, albeit with the shortest lifespan. Change 'em out when they
hit about 4/32" of tread for best results. Rotate religiously and you should get 30-40k from them, depending on driving style and conditions.

You can hit 'em with a spray can of the color of your choice after a good clean. I've seen purple plastidip wheels if that's what you want,
hey, no accounting for taste. {:eek:) Low gloss black is all the rage at the moment. Powder coat if you want to spend more.

Get the tires mounted and carefully balanced by a pro, and while he's at it, get an alignment. And check your front end for any wear
or slop. Tell them that you've had problems. A good tech should be
able to help with the set up to suit you and the tires.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI

Lots of options for tires, everyone has their favorites. Ultra high performance tires will usually have the softest compounds, and
aggressive tread patterns. In my experience they'll give the best
grip, albeit with the shortest lifespan. Change 'em out when they
hit about 4/32" of tread for best results. Rotate religiously and you should get 30-40k from them, depending on driving style and conditions.

You can hit 'em with a spray can of the color of your choice after a good clean. I've seen purple plastidip wheels if that's what you want,
hey, no accounting for taste. {:eek:) Low gloss black is all the rage at the moment.
Thanks for the input. The best tires I ever had on my Jetta were the General Altimax HP's so I'm taking your advice and plan on going with the 215/55ZR16" Gen Max AS03's. I plan on pressure washing the rims and spray painting them black. Since I can use my existing lug nuts I assume I can buy covers for them since the lugs will be exposed on these rims?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I went ahead and picked up those Wolfsburgs today. .. I do need to pressure wash them and maybe even sandblast them to get them clean. Would you powder coat them? Or would that damage them? Or would you just paint them?
I had Wolfsburgs (or, as they are also called, BBS RXII) on a wagon for a few years. They are nice wheels, made by BBS. Keep in mind they are a two piece wheel and to paint or powder coat them they really should be dismantled, sandblasted and then painted or powdered separately. The outer rim was originally polished, but you could do what you like. I never had mine apart, but I understand it's common, especially if they have been exposed to salt, for the bolts to corrode and break. I'm not saying they won't look nice when redone, but to properly refinish them, you are going to spend a good bit of time and money.

Honestly, you may be better off finding a one piece wheel and redoing them. As others have said, New Beetles came standard with 16" wheels, so there are plenty of good used ones out there.

On my Golf, I had Key West wheels for a while and now some Force wheels I had powder coated black. Both were from Beetles and I picked them up for a very good price. You might want to have a look here to see what's available. On a daily driver, it's hard to beat a set of easy to clean wheels, something the RSII's are not.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I had Wolfsburgs (or, as they are also called, BBS RXII) on a wagon for a few years. They are nice wheels, made by BBS. Keep in mind they are a two piece wheel and to paint or powder coat them they really should be dismantled, sandblasted and then painted or powdered separately. The outer rim was originally polished, but you could do what you like. I never had mine apart, but I understand it's common, especially if they have been exposed to salt, for the bolts to corrode and break. I'm not saying they won't look nice when redone, but to properly refinish them, you are going to spend a good bit of time and money.
After I bought them and looked them over I came to the same conclusion as you. Its going to take some time and money to get them looking nice. To sandblast and powder coat I am looking at a total of $300. I think I am just going to pressure wash and spray paint them instead. If I like how the 16" tires handle then when I go to buy my next set of tires I will go out and buy some new rims to go with them.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Well the G Max AS-03's have been discontinued so I have narrowed it to 4 choices; General Altimax RT43, General G Max AS-05, Conti Pure Contact and Conti Extreme Contact. Which would you chose and why?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want grip, first look only at Summer tires. Second, look at performance rankings on a site like Tire Rack. You want one that is Extreme Performance or Ultra High Performance. Third, look at treadwear ratings. Lower number = more grip. I'd look for a tire with a treadwear rating of 400 or less. Most good summer tires are about 200-240. Then look at reviews and tests for wet weather performance, since that's a priority.

If you want a sticky tire it's going to cost more and have a shorter life. That's the way it goes.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I'm using 17x7" wheels, with 215/45-R17 Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. The tires have plenty of grip... excellent cornering and braking. But my engine is mostly stock, so am not sure about traction during acceleration.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I had Wolfsburgs (or, as they are also called, BBS RXII) on a wagon for a few years. They are nice wheels, made by BBS. Keep in mind they are a two piece wheel and to paint or powder coat them they really should be dismantled, sandblasted and then painted or powdered separately.
Anyone know what type of socket I need to take the bolts off and dismantle these Wolfsburg BBS/RXII wheels and where to buy it?

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
On second thought, after reading this and other threads about them I am not going to sink a bunch of money into these wolfsburg rims. I will just sand and buff them down and then spray paint them. I won't waste a bunch of time and money removing the torx bolts to sand blast and powder coat them. By then I will have close to $500 in them and could have bought a nice set of rims.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Well here is an update. As you all might recall, I was debating on what tires to buy. I really wanted the General G Max AS-03's but they have been replaced by the General G Max AS-05's so it came down to either those or the Conti Extreme Contact. As you can see by the pic I went with the General G Max AS-05's. You might also recall I had bought the Wolfsburg BBS rims and had planned to sand and spray paint them but with very limited time due to deer season and being busy with medicare season I decided to go another direction. It was going to take too much time to remove the torx bolts and take them apart to sand them down and spray paint them so I had them sandblasted for $100 and then powder coated for an additional $120. They look pretty darn good for having less than $300 in them.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
It is about traction but to save you from going through the numerous pages of this thread I will give you a cliff notes version. After asking about what tires I should go with on my TDI it was noted to me that my stock 15 inch rims very much limited what tires I can put on my TDI so it was suggested that I move up to 16 inch rims where I will have a much bigger selection of quality tires which will do a much better job holding traction on the road. With that in mind, I found some stock VW 16 inch wolfsburg rims that needed refinishing and got suggestions on what tires to put on them. My recent post above showed the finished rims and the tires i chose to put on them. Hopefully the G Max AS-05's I chose will hold traction well if not then I will probably go with the Conti Extreme contact next.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Medicare has a season?
We are currently in the middle of medicare season. It runs from Oct 15 until Dec 7. That keeps me very busy with clients during that time. So between that and me trying to get into my deer stand as much as possible, I was not able to do the rims so I decided to go ahead and get them powder coated before winter hit. Good thing I did so because we are expecting snow next weekend.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"Medicare has a season?" IBW

Jeez, mebbe I gotta' get some camo, go stealth,
I just made it to Medicare.

"When is tourist season?
I need to get my license
"

You gotta' get in line Wonneber, I been waiting years for one of those!

{:eek:)