ignition key will not start engine, told needs to rebooted

mouth of the river

TDI
2011 jetta
Pulled into fuel and engine would not restart. Security system activated and key would not work . Anyone know about this problem and how it can be prevented from recurring? Vv

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
wow, that sucks. While I can't offer help, I sure can sympathize: I had a somewhat similar experience with my BMW last week. The key is a remote thing you don't even need to take out of your pocket, the car senses its presence in the car and as I pulled up to the pump, the "no key present" light came on and a message that the car will not restart until a key is produced. I filled up, pulled the key out of my pocket and waved it around, still no recognition. Scary, scary feeling.

I dunno if VW has a similar system on your 2011 Jetta, but I got mine working again by tapping the key. I think there was a bit of dust between the battery and contact in the remote. Hope an answer is forthcoming quickly for ya.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
wow, that sucks. While I can't offer help, I sure can sympathize: I had a somewhat similar experience with my BMW last week. The key is a remote thing you don't even need to take out of your pocket, the car senses its presence in the car and as I pulled up to the pump, the "no key present" light came on and a message that the car will not restart until a key is produced. I filled up, pulled the key out of my pocket and waved it around, still no recognition. Scary, scary feeling.

I dunno if VW has a similar system on your 2011 Jetta, but I got mine working again by tapping the key. I think there was a bit of dust between the battery and contact in the remote. Hope an answer is forthcoming quickly for ya.
I've had this happen on my Passat with KESSY like your BMW. On my Passat there is a place on the right of the steering column where you can place the key and have it use RFID to sense it instead of the usual antenna method. I've had to do this a few times when the car didn't want to sense the key where it was sitting.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Make sure the voltage in the battery in the key is at least 3.06 volts.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Pulled into fuel and engine would not restart. Security system activated and key would not work . Anyone know about this problem and how it can be prevented from recurring? Vv
Not sure about the 2011 specifically, but for my 2000 beetle, you could reset the remote by using the key to unlock the driver's door and a few other steps. On my 2010 JSW, the key hole is covered but is still there on the driver's door handle. Try unlocking and relocking the car with a key. Check the owner's manual for resetting the key.