2012-2013 Passat Turbocharger Warranty Extended to 10 years/120,000 Miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...uhhh...the article the OP posted says "...certain 2012-2013 model years..."...my emphasis...

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
Ohhh I can't wait to talk to them on Monday!!!!:D

I'll be reporting the results of my situation later tonight. How do I post pics of the service bill??

I'm guessing dogger37 will be the first to interact with a dealer on this, also figure his extended warranty company will be all over it too.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
My guess is that this is a case of the "squeaky wheel getting the grease". Glad that VW admits that some turbos may encounter problems. Guess I can happily drive my car another 3 years!

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I've got to believe that VW has run all the numbers on this in terms of failure rates and how much this warranty extension is expected to cost them and have weighed that against the potential loss of sales from not extending the warranty.

What that tells me is:

1. Failure rates, even on affected vehicles, is low enough that the cost is acceptable.

OR

2. Sales are starting to slow and they have decided that it is costing them significantly more than fixing affected vehicles (that they might fix anyway like in the case of the "implied" warranty extension on HPFP on Jettas and Golfs)

Either way, I'm very encouraged by this news. The HPFP seems solid on these cars based on the very rare failures on this board. The turbo seemed like the weak link and now it's covered for many years of driving, even at the high rate I'm putting miles on the car. :D:D

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
Just came back from my local dealer. I can confirm that my '13 Passat has the 10 years 193,000km extended warranty for the turbo. The service manager, whom I have a great relationship with (6 years, I've been taking my Audi to him and watched him go up the employee ladder) confirmed verbally and showed me on the recall paper that he printed for my car to do the recalls.

Thanks again OP, you have saved allot of ppl allot of sleepless nights!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I've got to believe that VW has run all the numbers on this in terms of failure rates and how much this warranty extension is expected to cost them and have weighed that against the potential loss of sales from not extending the warranty.

What that tells me is:

1. Failure rates, even on affected vehicles, is low enough that the cost is acceptable.

OR

2. Sales are starting to slow and they have decided that it is costing them significantly more than fixing affected vehicles (that they might fix anyway like in the case of the "implied" warranty extension on HPFP on Jettas and Golfs)

Either way, I'm very encouraged by this news. The HPFP seems solid on these cars based on the very rare failures on this board. The turbo seemed like the weak link and now it's covered for many years of driving, even at the high rate I'm putting miles on the car. :D:D
I guess that all of the people that claimed that the failure rates of these turbos was "acceptable" and "reasonable" will need to rethink their statements. We all know that VW wouldn't spend the money they are going to on future repairs if it wasnt hurting their bottom line.

I would also believe that the "safety" aspect of a turbo failure was taken into consideration as well. We all see how the deny, deny, deny strategy worked out for GM. ;)

Regardless, it is really good news for anyone that drives one of these cars. I'm fairly certain that the extension will include 2014's once the 2015's are on the lots.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I spoke with a friend who is a dealer tech - he confirmed this is in the system. I might swing by the dealer later today and see if I can get a printout.

Thanks,

-J

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Based on my experience and the manner in which I was treated both by my dealer (Gault in Endicott, NY) and VWoA, I have no doubt that support will be there. Should the same thing happen to my 2014 I wouldn't expect a different experience.

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
Hopefully the 2014's get addressed before I hit 25k miles and bite on the extended warranty...

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Just came back from my local dealer. I can confirm that my '13 Passat has the 10 years 193,000km extended warranty for the turbo. The service manager, whom I have a great relationship with (6 years, I've been taking my Audi to him and watched him go up the employee ladder) confirmed verbally and showed me on the recall paper that he printed for my car to do the recalls.

Here's hoping it will be the same for my '12. Going in on Wednesday for the hood recall.

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
Man am I relieved. Vw just saved a customer from selling and never returning back. Hopefully in this time they can figure out a more robust turbo or a program change that will take care of it long term.

TDI258

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon(Given Away), 2009 Jetta TDI SportWagen (Traded), 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.(Sold), 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring (Loving It!)
Too late for me. I dumped my 2013 Passat TDI and bought a 2014 Accord Hybrid after losing my Passat for 3 wks due to blown turbo. It took VW 4 days just to get my car towed to the dealer! The Honda dealer just happened to have one waiting just for me at a time when they were, and still are, hard to find. I took it as an omen.:)

VW totally lost me. They had all they needed to keep me as a customer but refused to. And what good is a 120Kmi warranty when you're having to get your car towed to the dealer every 20Kmi? Besides, the VW stealership had sold me a 100Kmi extended warranty for near $3000 that turned out to be a big scam. VW kept $800 of it after I sold the car when I was told I would get it all back if I didn't use it. Why doesn't VW include the 100k warranty when you by the car?:mad:

Goodbye VW!:D

Last edited:

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Great news! My only big worry was the turbo (USAA extended warranty coverage specifically excluded the turbo, presumably because it's a known problem). It's nice to see VW responding to our concerns.

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
is this extended warranty for just the turbo or is my DPF now covered also for 120K?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Too late for me. I dumped my 2013 Passat TDI and bought a 2014 Accord Hybrid after losing my Passat for 3 wks due to blown turbo. It took VW 4 days just to get my car towed to the dealer! The Honda dealer just happened to have one waiting just for me at a time when they were, and still are, hard to find. I took it as an omen.:)

VW totally lost me. They had all they needed to keep me as a customer but refused to. And what good is a 120Kmi warranty when you're having to get your car towed to the dealer every 20Kmi? Besides, the VW stealership had sold me a 100Kmi extended warranty for near $3000 that turned out to be a big scam. VW kept $800 of it after I sold the car when I was told I would get it all back if I didn't use it. Why doesn't VW include the 100k warranty when you by the car?:mad:

Another great car ruined by a bad dealership experience. Sorry to hear you jumped ship and best of luck to you and your Accord!

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Just got back from the dealership for the headlight recall.

Turbo warranty is there for 193,000km, including everything that is affected if it decides to detonate. Also, the exhaust flapper is extended to 193,000km (didn't know about the mileage).

Nice to see VW sorting out the mess.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)

I agree with cevans. It's not the car, it's the dealership. However, it IS VWoA's responsibility to get around their poor dealership representation.

Enjoy your Accord:D!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting tidbit under the Subject line...

Subject: Turbocharger Limited Warranty Extension
(US dealers)

How about our friends to the North, eh?
Not unexpected, considering this is through Volkswagen of America and not Volkswagen of Canada. I guess our Canadian friends will just have to wait and see what VWoC has to say (if anything).

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
Interesting tidbit under the Subject line...

Subject: Turbocharger Limited Warranty Extension
(US dealers)

How about our friends to the North, eh?

Read post #40^

I'm Canadian, eh. lol

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
The pdf says it only applies to diagnosis and replacement of a faulty turbo. Does the tb for the turbo replacement procedure include down stream components of the exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.