Intermittent Non Start/Ignition problem B4

genuinly~spurious80

TDI
92/'93 Audi 80-'00 A3 110
Hi Im a newbie to this forum..From Ireland and Ive got a 1993 Audi 80 (b4) tdi with 250k on clock just run in.) which ive owed for over 2yrs and driven 50k without a issue...So my problem...The car has been sitting up over winter and there is/was lot of dampness in it... ive been using my girlfriends car,(1 cars running costs are chjeaper than 2) as in ireland the road tax for this size engine is 700euros~approx 1000dollars per year...crazy..! anyways i got the car a new battery and fired it up first turn...however after few trips the car suddenly wont start...as in turn key past ignition light point and nothing....at all...! keep trying and trying turning about 50 times and suddenly it will crank and away it goes...at first i thought sticking starter solenoid but i can hear no tell tale clicking from starter...i did try giving it few grnleish slaps with hammer which seemed to work but then not...brought it to mechanic who removed started and oiled it and solenoid he figured it was ok and put it back on car but still no start...tried fiddling with relays in fuse box and spraying wd40 into ignition barrell but it still starts randomly,u can hear a single click when ignition turned full somehwhere near fuse box or relays but im lost at this stage so im bit lost as to what it might be....? I did have the ECU chipped a while back but dont think thats the problem..? also my second question is why the glow plug light would flash on off after 10 seconds from start up...ive not got the 2+2 cable needed for vag com but suspect its because of doin hammer mod on fuel pump which worked and runs smooth...) sorry for long winded post and thanks in advance for any wisdom...)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The "B4" Passats (the VW B3.5 facelift over there) had an issue of the contacts in the ignition switch (the electrical part) overheating and melting deeper into the plastic in which they are inserted. Spraying a cutting fluid (WD40 isn't a lubricant) into the lock and tumblers won't have an effect on the electrical contacts in their enclosure.
The Audi B4 is of about this same period and might have a similar issue.

The quick check is to turn the key to the start position and hold it there. Now, while still holding it turned to the start position, press it in towards the column and wiggle it, up and down, or foreward and back. If the car starts the symptoms are the same as we've had.
The remedy is a new set of contacts. Don't let the dealer sell you a new lock and key as well, there's nothing wrong there. You just nees the contact switch assembly that snaps onto the lock mechanism.