Are there no rear wheel bearings available without hubs??

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I've been looking into replacement rear wheel bearings for my mk4. All I see are replacement hubs and bearings as an assembly.

Why no bearings themselves without the hub? I see plenty of front wheel bearings sold individually.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I've been bit too many times by cheap parts to go that route. I've got enough tools that replacing the bearing in a hub should not be a problem, and have replaced several front bearings. What's the difference with these rears?

For the parts I'd be willing to buy, it'll be around $150 minimum to do both rears, whereas if I could get quality bearings alone, I could do it for half that at most.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
The hub and inner race is all one piece, so there is no way to replace just the bearing.

I meant outer race. Sometimes you have to go by what I meant, not what I said.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
On fronts.. I always go a decent brand due to the work involved, they take a beating but backs are pretty straight forward. I'd have no issue with that $40 kit from idparts. I've put basic bearings on the back and never had a problem with them again.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
The hub and inner race is all one piece, so there is no way to replace just the bearing.
You pull the hub off and the inner race stays on the stub axle. Careful work with a small dremel cut off tool + a chisel and it comes off. Clean the stub axle.
Then Snap-On make the coolest simple tool to press the bearing: it is a nut with a longish tub that matches the bearing and you crank it in until it stops then finish with the new nut.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rear-wheel-bearing-removal-replacement-mk4/

Last edited:

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
I usually slice the inner race up with an air cut off tool, smash it with a chisel and it will crack on the grind mark. Then it pulls off pretty easy. It takes me about an hour for the job time.

Last edited: