Used Transmission Price

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Heyo!

Simple question. About what should the cost of a used TDI transmission run me around?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/d/2002-vw-jetta-tdi-trany/6630227778.html

This is one that I had found recently selling his mk4 trans, $400 for 150k mile transmission in unknown condition. I haven't asked him yet where he got it and how it ran before.

Should it be less/more than that or is it around where it should be?

My bellhousing cracked so I've got a TDI trans from a BEW laying around with all good parts. Is there any way I can get any money out of it?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the price ranges would be far too varied to give any good solid data. The 02J is a pretty good unit, so used ones are mostly sought after to do a manual swap on 01M-cursed cars, which probably keeps their price (for the TDI specific ones) higher than they would otherwise be.

If you have a good TDI trans with a cracked case, you can find a gasser 02J for cheap and swap everything over.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Yea but wouldn't I have to reshim everything? I don't have the tools for that I don't think.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, I would want someone who is familiar with the 02J to do that work. I do not even mess with them here even though they are a pretty simple transmission. I take them to CoolAirVW in the KC area for that.

Searcher2

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Beetle tdi
I paid a little more than 400 plus shipping for mine off eBay. I was well satisfied with it, but a week later one showed up in the upullit. I could have got it for 75 bucks.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I got mine from frans for around 400 shipped. Not worth the labor to reshim yet. Keep for the day it is worth it. I have a good shell you could have used but the bearings are bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Alright I bought the transmission off Craigslist and installed it with a new flywheel, clutch and main seal. Everything runs great, transmission felt good while I was throwing it through its paces.

Reason for a new clutch and flywheel were someone had installed a Chinese stage two clutch and lightened flywheel. I put in a VR6 flywheel and a TDI Silent clutch kit from Cascade German. Feels weird for the clutch to not be hard to press down now.

I broke the swinging metal plate on the plate that goes between your engine and transmission that you're supposed to remove to allow your output flange to clear. Should that be replaced as soon as possible?

And now there's about 1/2 to 1 inch of dead space before there's any resistance pushing the clutch in, is that normal or can something be done about it?

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
And now there's about 1/2 to 1 inch of dead space before there's any resistance pushing the clutch in, is that normal or can something be done about it?

First possible, air in hydraulic system.

Suggest open bleed screw bleeding.

Pedal up.
Open bleed screw.
Pedal down slowly and fully to floor.
Close bleed screw.
Lift pedal fully up.
Repeat, maybe 6 times.

Other things are possible but air in hydro's means trans stays installed to fix.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
^Yes, this^
Even easier with a Motive brake bleed unit. Simply pressurizes the whole system and open each bleeder into a jar via hose. I know it's extra work, but I would do the whole system.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I paid $700 shipped for mine but there weren't many options without a ton of miles at the time and if I remember shipping was pretty steep but I had to bite the bullet on it.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Yes, replace that metal plate. Keep a crap out of the flywheel area better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Alright I'll stop by pick n pull to look for one soon-ish.

When the turbo starts aging will you start to hear high pitched noises coming from it, like the vane scratching or something because I'm getting noises like that occasionally now and I'm not sure why. Better not be the flywheel :(

I think I got the noises before though.