500 miles from home Dipstick tube broke

Avantidude

TDI
2002 Beetle GLS 5spd & 1998 Beetle 5 spd
Title says it all, I am 500 miles from home, and went to check oil after the drive, Dipstick tube is broken, I don’t know when but I suspect when I put the engine cover back on before the trip. I got tired of tripping over the engine cover and reinstalled it yesterday before my trip. Dont look like a mess yet, but it has to make one? Any fixes on the roadside? Where can I get a replacement. I’m in San Diego now, but from central Cali.

tdi'd

TDI
2012 Golf (RIP), 1985 Golf (RIP), 2001 Golf
You will loose oil from it. It will make a mess of your engine compartment. This happened to me. I got a crappy off brand reman. Had to install it in a weird way to make it stay and not continue to spit oil. I would try to find a dealer that has one in stock. Or maybe other members have better oe makers.

Edit: when you replace it just be mindful of the inner tube pieces that go into the oil pan. Wouldn’t want to get any plastic down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Go to dinner. Have some wine. Save the cork. Stick the cork where the dipstick goes. That will get you home.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
They almost have to break to get off. You can get out unbroken with longer wider flat screw driver from the underside.

But ya, cork it, put a metal chair leg protector on there, or what ever fits. Don't do duct tape though. Oil melts the tape.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Buy a chunk of silicone hose that slips over whatever is left, cut it to length and then you don't even need to fix it again later. :p

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Go to dinner. Have some wine. Save the cork. Stick the cork where the dipstick goes. That will get you home.
Good one, Two bottles though, in case you fumble the first cork

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Most NAPA's have them for $10 or so. You will need a curved pick to get the old one out and the new one should snap back in. Easy fix.

Avantidude

TDI
2002 Beetle GLS 5spd & 1998 Beetle 5 spd
Thanks for all the advice, I superglued it back together, to get back to the hotel. Had superglue in glove box.