airbag warning light and no horn

tom_h

TDI
B6 SW 1.6 TDi 16V FAP BlueMotion 105 cv
For the last month, I have had an error message for an airbag, and my horn has stopped working.
I took the car to the VW garage to see about this and their diagnosis was that the driver's airbag needed replacing (€600 - 700). At that stage I hadn't noticed that the horn was not working.

I haven't had this work done, but having looked into it there does appear to be a potential link between the airbag warning light and the horn which is the clockspring on the steering wheel?

Do you think its possible the the VW diagnosis was wrong and I should look at replacing the clock spring first?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Do you have any other steering wheel controls that are or are not working? Have you had any work done on the steering wheel?

The clockspring is usually the culprit in a case like this.

tom_h

TDI
Hello Tdijarhead,
No work done and no

other issues (apart from when I occasionally use cruise control I sometimes feel that it doesn't behave in the same way, but that could easily just be me....)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Air bags just don’t go bad, because your horn doesn’t work and you have an air bag warning light I’d say it’s your clock spring. However you would need to remove the air bag to replace the clockspring.

tom_h

TDI
B6 clock spring replacement

I think I'll give it a go, there's a YouTube video of someone doing this....
Do you know if there is a reliable way to get part reference so I can source a replacement, or will I need to take it apart?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They really aren't that bad to take apart, I have to do my daughters Jetta this weekend to change out the cruise control/high beam stalk because she has no low beam headlights. Your best bet for part #'s might just be to call the dealer since I see you have a European model.

tom_h

TDI
Today I got the flashing warning symbol (a coil) on the dashboard - apparently this indicates a malfunction has occurred in the diesel engine....not very specific, but I noticed also a lack of power.

Any ideas if this is something I will be able to look at, or whether it could be related to my horn / airback indicator light issues...?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is yours an MK4? I'm really not familiar with European designation.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, you need to start there. The flashing glow plug lamp can mean a wide variety of things. The Engine Controller can tell you.

tom_h

TDI
@ Tdijarhead: mines à B6 SW 1.6 TDi 16V FAP BlueMotion 105 cv.
The light is not longer coming on.

@oilhammer: Could it have been a problem of water getting into trailer lights socket whose cover has recently broken off ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
@ Tdijarhead: mines à B6 SW 1.6 TDi 16V FAP BlueMotion 105 cv.
The light is not longer coming on.

@oilhammer: Could it have been a problem of water getting into trailer lights socket whose cover has recently broken off ?

I have no idea, I would have to utilize the OBD your car already has. If you will not do that, then we can only guess.....