Clutch Pedal Sticking

Airgreasemonkey

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum. Just picked up my 2013 TDI a month and a half ago with only. My car has 36k miles on it. I don't know if its due to the cold or just dumb luck, but after starting the engine the clutch pedal wont fully retract. I can pop it back out with my foot or pump it a few times and it will come out most of the way. After doing so the pedal is dead for the first 1/4 of the pedals travel. Eventually it will return to normal after driving it a bit. This morning on the way into work it never fully returned to normal. Thankfully the friction point is close to full travel of the pedal.

My question is, does this seem like a Clutch Master Cylinder or a Slave Cylinder Problem?

Id really like to not pull my transmission to change a slave cylinder but I do have the facilities to do so.

TIA,

Jake

Airgreasemonkey

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Ended up being the slave cylinder was leaking. I replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder in hope that it would be the easier fix. While bleeding the system I noticed a whole bunch of crud and old fluid coming out of the line so I flushed it all out until the fluid came out clean. Everything seemed happy until I dropped a socket into the engine bay. I dropped the belly pan to get my socket and while I was looking around there was old dirty fluid coming from the weep hole at the bottom of the bell housing. I cleaned it up and sure enough, fresh fluid took its place. The next morning I pumped the clutch a bunch of times and let it sit. Sure enough a small pool of fluid under the trans.

Thankfully I have my own lift and borrowed a trans jack from work. Dropping the Subframe made removing and reinstalling the transmission a much easier job. The only things you have to remove in addition to what is already being taken apart is the passenger side ball joint, passenger side axle bolt, tie rods, sway bar links, steering rack harness, and steering column from the rack. 6 bolts on the subframe and it drops out. I replaced the clutch as well since I had everything apart. The whole job took me about 12 hours over 2 days start to finish with beer drinking.

Ill post some pictures once I figure out my photobucket account password. Its been years since I have used it.

IamMatthew

TDI
2013 Jetta
If you could get some photos and add some advise, I'd really appreciate it. I have 65k on mine with the same issue. I'm having a hard time finding info on this job. Best price I've gotten so far is $1800. If I could do this myself, I'd love to hold onto that cash.

I found a video for a mk6 GTI clutch change. It was like watching an artist how quickly he got the thing out, but I don't know how similar the jobs would be. The parts all looked very similar. Here's the link; maybe you could give it a quick watch and tell me how similar it was for you. https://youtu.be/93nBXIWu7j0