Need advice on springs - Mk7 Golf TDI SEL

MIXMAN3113

TDI
2011 Golf, 2015 Golf SEL
So I purchased a stop sale 2015 Golf TDI SEL, and I would like to lower it a bit. There is so much different info on springs, and I'm not really sure which is the best way to go at this point.

What do you guys recommend?

I want the ride to be comfortable as its my DD with a 70 mile roundtrip commute, but it also needs to handle better and look good without affecting the factory warranty. Right now I have 18" Austins on the car and have a 2.5 inch front gap and a 3 inch rear gap, I would like to lower it quite a bit, but not so low that it rubs when I haul equipment in the hatch.

Any suggestions??

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd look into H&R sport springs, drops about 1" or so, they can be had pretty cheap too, $200 or so?

MIXMAN3113

TDI
2011 Golf, 2015 Golf SEL
I'd look into H&R sport springs, drops about 1" or so, they can be had pretty cheap too, $200 or so?
Thanks, they are on the list, amongst others...like I said there is a lot of conflicting info regarding springs for the Golf TDI.... I think I may want to go lower than an inch, with the Austins being partly black, it makes the wheel gap look atrocious.

I would love to see what other mk7 Golf owners are using as springs.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
So I purchased a stop sale 2015 Golf TDI SEL, and I would like to lower it a bit. There is so much different info on springs, and I'm not really sure which is the best way to go at this point.

What do you guys recommend?

I want the ride to be comfortable as its my DD with a 70 mile roundtrip commute, but it also needs to handle better and look good without affecting the factory warranty. Right now I have 18" Austins on the car and have a 2.5 inch front gap and a 3 inch rear gap, I would like to lower it quite a bit, but not so low that it rubs when I haul equipment in the hatch.
Any suggestions??

Avoid speed bumps:eek:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vortex is the holy grail of lowering spring information, they have reviews all the different makes of springs and drops, from mild to wild.

From what I've read if you're going over 1" in drop, be prepared to replace the struts not to much longer down the road.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The lower you go, the stiffer it will be. If you really want to maintain comfort, I'd suggest the VW Driver Gear springs. They will not lower it as much as you think you want, but will maintain comfort and use of stock struts. The H&R, VWR, and pretty much anything else is going to drop you a minimum 1.3". The other thread for "Lowering Springs" shows a picture of my car and I'm pretty sure the front is lower than 1.3" drop. I tried just the springs on stock struts and hated every minute of it. Replaced with Bilstein B8s and have been so much better. With 225/40 tires at 38psi, it still hits a few bumps just wrong and creates a light jolt but they're great on everything else.

MIXMAN3113

TDI
2011 Golf, 2015 Golf SEL
The lower you go, the stiffer it will be. If you really want to maintain comfort, I'd suggest the VW Driver Gear springs. They will not lower it as much as you think you want, but will maintain comfort and use of stock struts. The H&R, VWR, and pretty much anything else is going to drop you a minimum 1.3". The other thread for "Lowering Springs" shows a picture of my car and I'm pretty sure the front is lower than 1.3" drop. I tried just the springs on stock struts and hated every minute of it. Replaced with Bilstein B8s and have been so much better. With 225/40 tires at 38psi, it still hits a few bumps just wrong and creates a light jolt but they're great on everything else.
Thank you for this post. Thats a nice looking car you have, love the drop! Still undecided, with a "new" old 2015 Golf with only 6000 miles, I don't think I want to replace shocks/ struts just yet. I may look into the DG springs more, Ive spent enough on parts in the last 3 months already, haha.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Vortex is the holy grail of lowering spring information, they have reviews all the different makes of springs and drops, from mild to wild.

From what I've read if you're going over 1" in drop, be prepared to replace the struts not to much longer down the road.

The Vortex thread def has the most info and options but not a ton of those guys have TDI which means they have more options because they aren't dealing with the torsion beam rear end. After many hours of research between this and the other sites, I'm going to pull the trigger on H&R Sports for a modest drop to put it about where my 09 Jetta TDI sat. H&R has updated their set a couple times from what I can gather and the TDI specific springs will provide an even drop rather than the reversed rake drop that was being seen by kits that "would" fit but were designed for other Golf variants.

As for replacement of struts, I'd say it will depend on your roads and your driving. Our roads are pretty decent and I spent a good amount of time on the interstate and my 09 TDI struts/shocks were still working fine at 223k miles (as where my original front brake pads. :-D).

MIXMAN3113

TDI
2011 Golf, 2015 Golf SEL
The Vortex thread def has the most info and options but not a ton of those guys have TDI which means they have more options because they aren't dealing with the torsion beam rear end. After many hours of research between this and the other sites, I'm going to pull the trigger on H&R Sports for a modest drop to put it about where my 09 Jetta TDI sat. H&R has updated their set a couple times from what I can gather and the TDI specific springs will provide an even drop rather than the reversed rake drop that was being seen by kits that "would" fit but were designed for other Golf variants.
As for replacement of struts, I'd say it will depend on your roads and your driving. Our roads are pretty decent and I spent a good amount of time on the interstate and my 09 TDI struts/shocks were still working fine at 223k miles (as where my original front brake pads. :-D).
Yeah that seems to be the problem, finding info on our TDI's. Does using any springs other than VW void warranty on suspension? Thats what I want to avoid.

Ideally I want a 36mm drop in the front and 48mm in the rear, that would give me an inch of wheel gap in front and rear. Not sure the best setup for that, should I go any lower? I have dealer low profile tires that came with the car on now and will be putting on 17 inch winter tires in a few months.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah that seems to be the problem, finding info on our TDI's. Does using any springs other than VW void warranty on suspension? Thats what I want to avoid.
Ideally I want a 36mm drop in the front and 48mm in the rear, that would give me an inch of wheel gap in front and rear. Not sure the best setup for that, should I go any lower? I have dealer low profile tires that came with the car on now and will be putting on 17 inch winter tires in a few months.
I'm not 100% sure on the Golf, will start poking around BUT I know these are the correct springs for the 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI >>> https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-parts/sport-spring-set/54788~hr/ and you can reference H&R directly here >>> http://www.hrsprings.com/application/search/results/38/1758/2015/

H&R lists this set for your car >>> https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-parts/sport-spring-set/547862~hr/ >>> http://www.hrsprings.com/application/search/results/38/1731/2015/

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
What about a set of springs off a GTI if your wanting to keep it OEM w/good look and daily use?

Dieselgeek dont make a MK7 skidplate yet, I wouldent go too low with a taller Diesel engine.. even on GTI Springs your oil pan will be lower than a GTI.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GTI would prob be too much sag.

Take a look at the Golf R variant (golf R wagen from Europe) if you want to stick to OEM.

EVo makes a skid plate, theres a thread on it not to long ago.

davidch

TDI
None

Take a look at the Golf R variant (golf R wagen from Europe) if you want to stick to OEM.

EVo makes a skid plate, theres a thread on it not to long ago.
Canadian Highline TDI (aka SEL) in hatch version come with OEM sport springs that lower vehicle ~ 1/2 in (12-13mm) and provide better handling... but I have been unable to locate part numbers... the GTI and R rear springs will not match since those have different rear suspension that US TDI

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think the front springs/struts from the gti would work well on a golf tdi. The two cars have nearly identical curb weight. Obviously the rear suspension is different.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ahh I miss read the OP and was thinking he was looking for springs for a wagen

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The challenge you face is that the TDI has a torsion beam rear axle and GTI and R Golfs have IRS, so they use different rear springs. A GSW is significantly heavier than the Golf in the rear so those springs won't do what you want.

My experience is that H&R tends to consolidate a lot of part numbers into its sport springs. I'd look for Eibach springs instead if you can find them for your application. I looked in the Koni catalog to see if they have a shock/Eibach spring set like they do for the MKVI cars, but not yet.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
The challenge you face is that the TDI has a torsion beam rear axle and GTI and R Golfs have IRS, so they use different rear springs. A GSW is significantly heavier than the Golf in the rear so those springs won't do what you want.

My experience is that H&R tends to consolidate a lot of part numbers into its sport springs. I'd look for Eibach springs instead if you can find them for your application. I looked in the Koni catalog to see if they have a shock/Eibach spring set like they do for the MKVI cars, but not yet.
After looking around and at the actual pics of a GSW TDI on the H&R Sports I posted about up above, they are definitely the way I'm going. H&R's site is interesting to see they did specify that part number for all the variants BUT that part number is only referenced for the GSW TDI's being sold and 100% compatible with the GSW TDI. It's a little confusing but after looking at someone else before/after with my exact car, I'm very comfortable with my decision.

For reference, here is main thread on the other site (hope it's ok to direct back there) http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7149277-GSW-Spring-Sets

MIXMAN3113

TDI
2011 Golf, 2015 Golf SEL
After looking around and at the actual pics of a GSW TDI on the H&R Sports I posted about up above, they are definitely the way I'm going. H&R's site is interesting to see they did specify that part number for all the variants BUT that part number is only referenced for the GSW TDI's being sold and 100% compatible with the GSW TDI. It's a little confusing but after looking at someone else before/after with my exact car, I'm very comfortable with my decision.
For reference, here is main thread on the other site (hope it's ok to direct back there) http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7149277-GSW-Spring-Sets
Yes, there seems to be plenty of info on springs for the GSW TDI, I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL, no wagon.

I thought the H&R springs would work great, but the question is would they void the factory warranty on the suspension. Im guessing they would. I literally have a 4 finger gap in the rear and almost 4 fingers in the front on stock GTI Austins.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, there seems to be plenty of info on springs for the GSW TDI, I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL, no wagon.

I thought the H&R springs would work great, but the question is would they void the factory warranty on the suspension. Im guessing they would. I literally have a 4 finger gap in the rear and almost 4 fingers in the front on stock GTI Austins.
I'm not even sure what warranty we have on the related suspension parts BUT I would assume and non-VW accessory spring would void it. I don't know if even the Eibach springs count anymore as "VW" accessories like back when you could order from them. No matter, I can't stand to look at the car with all the gap. If a conservative drop like these blows out a strut, then either replace with stock one or upgrade them all to aftermarket.?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

FYI H&R site and different part numbers may not actually mean they they are actually different car specific parts.

Case in point, I found their part number for a 24mm RSB for the Passat, ordered it, it was a different part number form the Mk5 jetta according to their site. In turning back my Mk5 jetta I removed the 24mm bar that I bought second hand from a 'vtex GTI member.

I compared both bars side by side, and they were bang on same dimensions, only difference is the Passat's was Purple Mat where as the Mk5 was silver sparkle.

Maybe the actual torsion of the two bars were different, different alloy or something but still I didn't even try the Mk5 bar on the passat because it had different part numbers, if I had I would have prob been happy enough with it.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
has anybody compared the rear spring from the GTI vs TDI, i understand TDI is not an IRS but how do they ( springs) actually differ?

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
Check the Eibach's. Finally had them installed on my 15 GSW and love it, front down about 1 3/4" and the rear just a bit more. Ride is for the most part like stock and no where near annoying. I am glad I went with these....
[/URL][/IMG]

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
H&R Sports (correct ones for our TDI)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Nice, I ended up switching to H&Rs as well. I have the same Quickjack as well, perfect for pretty much any job!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'd be interested to see what an alignment report looks like for one of these cars after lowering. i wonder if they have some of the same geometry changes as MKIV cars when lowered.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Front camber looks like it would on a lowered MKIV. I would have asked them to shift the subframe to equalize left and right measurements.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Love the wheels! Details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are Konig Oversteers in Opal color, 17x8 wrapped in Continental SureContact 235/45ZR17 tires. It's my #dadwagen so I opted to stay with the 17in wheel and meaty tires. If I was a younger man with less need for "utility" I would have gone with the 18's but these look good, right great (38psi) and have LOTS of rim protection so I'm quite happy with the decision. :D