Re: Gas vs TDI: Calculate your break-even point

xsfmed

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Indigo Blue

Break even? I bought the last 02 TDI on the lot, before they became 'popular' - and got it for less than the same model year gasser. I bought it for reliability, longevity, low end power, maintainability and most of all FUN. what's the breakeven on actually falling in love with a car?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

it would save you money in comparison to a gasser, rent a 1.8t or something for a couple weeks even just one and see how much more in fuel ya would spent, I have alot of friends that have golf or jetta tdi's and love them don't even regret having them, VW is one of the only manufactures that have brought the diesel engine in for a car, LOL it's vw's fault is it? guess in my case it's also thier fault I love my car, the fault isn;t thiers it's yours, for your driving conditions obviosly you did make a bad choice but why blame everyone for a bad choice you have made? Plus the maintinence isn;t hard at all if you can turn a wrench. All I have done because I am not a mechanic bought a bently did some searches on this site and print off what I need, I find it kinda easy do do maintinence on this but for the stuff I can't do like timing belt etc I have a great mechanic who can do it for a good price, that's the cost of owning something, it would be like buying a town house and being outraged at paying strata or property tax. And I would have to totally agree with snoksca it's crazy to think that you can save $ with a brand new car like expecting to buy a brand new computer and expect it to be the current one next year, things change, cars are the worst to depreciate because pretty much as soon as you drive it off the lot it loses a fair amount of money, but hey who am I, I love my car, if you can't afford the car how do you expect to buy a house?

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta

You can't compare renting a car. There is no maintenance except for gas. YOu dont even have to do any oil changes. Poor example.

No, it's VW's fault for bringing in a vehicle that isn't made for the high sulphur diesel that we have. VW has made a statement that the problem with the intake clogging is not the car's fault but the fuel in North America. Well, then clearly the car is not made for this climate. Nowhere in my research did it say this car must NOT be driven in the city and it should be driven predominately on the highway and shift above 3500 rpm. Nobody, not here, not the dealer said that. If I had the time and money, I would sue all the bastards. In fact, one of the deciding reasons I bought the TDI was after reading Fred's FAQ on the EGR mod. He wrote that with the Mod, clogging will not be a problem. What BS. I didnt expect to have the intake clog, neither did my friend who also drives a TDI, neither did my other friend who also drove a TDI. Is there a pattern here?? Hmmm. Of course, we all find this out AFTER we buy the car.

New cars can save you money if you factor in low or minimal maintenance and lack of frustrations compared to a used vehicle. This car has been one of my most frustrating vehicles I have ever owned. The fact that I inhaling carcinogenic particulte regularly is not conducive to my asthma. When I test drove the TDI, there was no smell. Funny, eh?

I have done oil changes on many vehicles but I wouldnt want to touch it on a TDI, but that's as far as I would go on doing any maintenance. I am not a shadetree mechanic and I dont like to tinker. That's why I prefer "turn-key" vehicles. Just turn the key and go. After 5+ years, I can tinker with it, but not while it is under warranty, and I shouldnt have to. If I do, something is wrong.

Buying used has a lot and in fact many risks. Buying one that is 8 or so years old has no warranties. I have seen first hand how people pay good money for vehicle inspections and there are major omissions or errors in the inspections. The [new] owners are caught off guard. I think buying a used car and selling it every few years is a good theory, but in practice doesn't work.

As far as the anology of the computer, I am very very happy with my P3 800mhz. I just increased the memory and storage and it runs faster (actualy it seems that way) than my 2.8G laptop. Unlike a car a PC doesn't breakdown as often. Besides, the cash outlay is always a lot less and a PC won't leave you stranded on the side of the road or have you worry what is going to go wrong next with a car and how much is it going to cost to fix.

It's so easy for you loyalists to blame the owner or the driver of the car when they dislike your favorite machine, but perhaps one day, you all can see the forest through the trees.

Anyhow, enough of my ranting about how I am disappointed and frustrated with my TDI. I will be happy when it is gone. I will also be a lot healthier too. Something you TDI'ers should really think twice about.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Gee, it's been almost a year since I told you that the next owner of your TDI would get a great car.

What are you waiting for? Sell it already!

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

Done there Blondee...

As everybody can see here, you're the kind of guy (I'm also considering that you could be a female member, mostly by the way you type and your screen name, are you?) that "just like to turn the key and drive with no worry".

It's understandable, you have other "more important worries in life".

That's cool too.

You would rather pass more time doing something else THAN COMING HERE EVERY SINGLE DAY RANTING, but that's your time.

Everybody here tried to help you, but alas...

I've got the idea of the century: why don't you exchange your car?

Huh? Isn't that brilliant?

Maybe you could exchange it change for change for a nice Honda civic automatic (I assume that the TDI is also auto...maybe not
) or whatever you would like to be see in...

Yes, see in.

I have a tech degree in mechanical engineering, I like to tinker, a volks is the car I need, but if I would be like you (not like to tinker but drive with no worry), I'd go for any toasters on wheels rice box.

I am rude, yes I am. If you didn't know diesel smell, well, guess what Einstein, the fcking do!

Stop whining, do something!

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain

Blondee, your tdi gives you asthma problems?
wow that is bleak. unload that car!
i find the smell of tdi exhaust to be mostly watery, and i like it. but i don't have asthma thankfully.
how do you do with mtbe fumes when refueling a gasser?!
some people have had bad/bizarre problems with those fumes i've heard.

i'm a hazard with a wrench and i find tdi maintenance costs to be minimal (56k miles, 2003 tdi), and reliability to be perfect.
i use shell rotella T, $12 a gallon, and have the dealer or the local ace quick-lube shop change it,
and having the dealer change the fuel filter.

you must have gotten a citrus TDI, eh? that does suck.
i happened to get an awesome/reliable one... :|

maybe trade your TDI for a new pontiac 350hp GTO 6-speed,
28+ mpg highway. they are apparently selling for less than $20k new: $5500 incentive, $5000 gm card "round up".
(if you have to drive a gasser and get a mere 20 mpg city, 28 highway, may as well have 350 or 400 hp.)
best wishes, may you find more power and more torque more helpful in your next vehicle!

DareDiesel

Veteran Member

OK, I'll step up and finally say it. Blondee has contracted the almost incurable illness called trolling.

For those of you who aren't aware of the deadly serious symptoms of this illness, they are:
<ul type="square">[*]Arguing about something no one in a forum cares about any more.
[*]Putting down a product that 99% of forum members like or love.
[*]Refusing to take the kindly help and advice of helpful forum members.
[*]Thinking that the continual beating of this dead horse is interesting anyone.[/list](Hmm... I wonder of oldman infected blondee... I hope we don't have an epidemic starting...)

It is safe to say that any further postings in this thread from blondee that aren't informing us of his/her purchase of a non-TDI or non-VW will prove that we now have a confirmed TROLL!

(Hmm... I wonder if I'm being too blunt... Mmmm... Naa)
(I wonder if anyone else out there is as sick and tired of this kind of incessant whining...)

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

lol dare diesel you have it, I'm actually getting kinda ammused here seeing what else could possibly go wrong, then i looked back in some posts that your not the only guy to say such a thing, i doubt that blondee would ever be happy wit any vehicle or would venture to say anything, there is always something wrong with it and it's not my fault, always the big corporation who didn;t take me into consideration when they build something, or oh the vague FAQ that are just questions and answers not something to blame thier bad decision on later, I drive alot of city myself and haven't had any intake probems, got it cleaned by the dealer at 100,000 kms i believe and no problems since didn;t even notice any before but I figured hey why not it's a freebie

WisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none now; formerly had an '03 Jetta GLS

No, it's VW's fault for bringing in a vehicle that isn't made for the high sulphur diesel that we have. VW has made a statement that the problem with the intake clogging is not the car's fault but the fuel in North America. Well, then clearly the car is not made for this climate. Nowhere in my research did it say this car must NOT be driven in the city and it should be driven predominately on the highway and shift above 3500 rpm. Nobody, not here, not the dealer said that. If I had the time and money, I would sue all the bastards. In fact, one of the deciding reasons I bought the TDI was after reading Fred's FAQ on the EGR mod. He wrote that with the Mod, clogging will not be a problem. What BS. I didnt expect to have the intake clog, neither did my friend who also drives a TDI, neither did my other friend who also drove a TDI. Is there a pattern here?? Hmmm. Of course, we all find this out AFTER we buy the car.
Back to school Blondee. Here's some suggested reading:
Nation of Victims

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

sorry blondee i have to make myself a little clear for you, of course i figure ya would find something wrong about what i suggested it's your nature, what i meant was simply from a mpg standpoint, of course there is no maintinence with a rented car.

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
LOL. Well, nowadays with the price of diesel considerably higher than regular gasoline, the calculation by Dr. Math is even more useful for people considering buying a diesel or hybrid compared to a gasoline vehicle.

BTW, I love driving gasoline cars now and I'll never go back to diesel unless it's considerably cheaper than gasoline. :)