Taking delivery at end of month, looking to get 350k or more

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Yes, I have thought about and still think about getting out of the TDI and into a GTI. I preferred the TDI for a number of reasons when I purchased the car, but have had some second thoughts. Like you, I have doubts because of the perceived complexity of the new TDI technology. So far, I only had to have an injector replaced under warranty, but it took them 5-days.

I’m just too particular about options, or I think I might have already jumped. I want everything I have in my car and that is not easy to find. For example, I have an RNS510 nav system, so it has to be a 2010. I also have the 6-speed, which seems rare in used cars if you also want nav. I also have to have the xenon lights and the Dynaudio. I like all those features in the car I have now. Just this morning, I was thinking how great the HD radio was with the RNS510 blasting in the Dynaudio speakers. After more than two years, I think the speakers must have broken in or something. My car rocks! Even the base is very nice and tight and musical too. I still look for GTIs, but so far have not found one that I would be willing to trade for.

Also, I really do love the TDI. The engine is a dream on the highway, with the low rpms and the quiet low rumble. I also prefer the slightly less busy shifting in the TDI compared to the GTI and of course the mpg is nice. I also like the more conservative style of the TDI compared to the GTI, but there is a chance for leather in the GTI. I’d probably swap my wheels and tires to what are on the TDI and of course I’d take the LED tail lights too. I even thought about swapping in my RNS510, but it gets a little crazy thinking about doing too much swapping between cars. I’d rather just find what I want.

Whoops, I forgot to answer your questions. I think the GTI is dramatically less complicated than the TDI. The problems I've read about are mostly nit picky things. There certainly isn't an $8000.00 repair waiting to get you. I could take $1K or $2K down the road, but not $8K. If it were more for insurance, I bet it wouldn't be that much more. It would cost more for fuel too, but I wouldn't have to deal with the diesel. I'd also not have to worry about where I got the gas. Now I only use one station, the one that has not caused me any isues in 2.5 years, except the injector that is. Thankfully, with about 600 miles per tank, I can wait until I get to my preferred station near my home.

Last edited:

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Like you, I have doubts because of the perceived complexity of the new TDI technology. So far, I only had to have an injector replaced under warranty, but it took them 5-days.

How convinced are you that the GTI is less complex/more dependable than the TDI? Was your 5-day wait at the dealer? Would you instead bring the GTI to an indy shop and stay away from the dealer?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
How convinced are you that the GTI is less complex/more dependable than the TDI?
I am convinced, but can't really back it up with technical facts. Hey, I think the GTI does have a timing chain. Honestly I'm still a little confused about the two different 2.0T VW gas engines. For example, I think the R has a different motor than the GTI, but still a 2.0T. The motors are in lots of VW and Audi cars and they have been around much longer than the TDI. Most importantly, no HPFP that could be $8K to fix. The BMW gassers had HPFP issues, but it was more like a $1000 or less part/repair.

Was your 5-day wait at the dealer? Would you instead bring the GTI to an indy shop and stay away from the dealer?
My wait was at the dealer. I also had some other disappointments, like not getting the free brake flush at 30K and they damaged 2 of my wheels when they recently swapped tires for me. They did repaint the wheels for free, but it was a nuisance. Bottom line, they are not the greatest, but I would likely still take the GTI there. They are 2 miles from my home. I think two other of the closest VW dealers might be better, but they are both about 25-miles away.

DavidNJCPA

TDI
Jetta
Pleased with ownership

Someone above asked if anyone was pleased with ownership - Well so far I certainly am, and I do none of the repairs myself.

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI - Bought December 2009 - 70k miles.

I have had no problems with my TDI so far other than as relates to getting rear ended a few months ago. So far no "repairs".

I have found that the service cost is quite higher than a gas car. I used to pay $25-$30 for an oil change/service at a Nissan dealer and I am paying $159 for the TDI in the cheap months (on the 10's). Same higher prices goes for transmission services and things like that. So that is a little annoying but for me a small price to pay.

Also, I have to watch the fill ups like a HAWK. NJ doesnt really allow self serve and I have caught attendants 3x within milliseconds of putting gas into my TDI. I know technically diesel can be self serve, but the stations require attendant cars to get the pumps going. If gas fillup occurred, this would no doubt cost a bit in money and aggravation.

There is always looming HPFP concerns for me, but I almost never think about it, and if it happens I will have to suck it up.

So for me, some "slight" negatives. But a whole lot of positives, such as MPG, nice power (if I want to I can get ahead of almost any other car I have to), a great drive, nice interior and still hopeful on durability.

When I bought the car I gave the whole speech on MPG and durability to my wife and parents. Lets just say if the HPFP goes, or big repairs come before a certain mileage, I will be eating crow on a daily basis. Knock on Turbo this doesnt happen.

As long as you are willing to watch fill-ups like a hawk and have more expensive maintenance cost than a gas, I would enthusiastically recommend the TDI.

My 2 cents.

DavidNJCPA

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I have found that the service cost is quite higher than a gas car. I used to pay $25-$30 for an oil change/service at a Nissan dealer and I am paying $159 for the TDI in the cheap months (on the 10's). Same higher prices goes for transmission services and things like that. So that is a little annoying but for me a small price to pay.
Why so much for an oil change? Is it just that much more expensive in NJ?

Dealer price using the Castrol 507 is 69.99. In reality, that isn't all that much more than a gasser using full synthetic.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
How convinced are you that the GTI is less complex/more dependable than the TDI? Was your 5-day wait at the dealer? Would you instead bring the GTI to an indy shop and stay away from the dealer?
Join another forum.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/

The GTI problems are Intake manifolds, carbon build up every 50-75k. You have to change the oil more than the 10k recommended interval. Also some have HPFP issues and water pump issues. But their HPFP doesn't grenade like ours and is a much cheaper out of warranty fix.

That said I hope you dont' get a fuel leak in the GTI and have to sell it for another car because it will melt like your TDI.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Thanks. It looks pretty good, leather, 6-speed manual, and pretty low miles too. It is even CSG, which I like. I can't see the Dynaudio speaker trim on the one door I can't tell if it has nav. In 2010, the options were a la carte, so it may or may not have the options, even though it is an autobahn. I think I'll write and ask.

Lyman601

TDI
2012 Mk6 Jetta Sportwagen
Why so much for an oil change? Is it just that much more expensive in NJ?

Dealer price using the Castrol 507 is 69.99. In reality, that isn't all that much more than a gasser using full synthetic.
Yea A TDI uses a little less oil than a grasser. I just traded a 2008 rabbit 2.5 for a 2012.5 jetta sportwagen. I remember the service on the rabbit in 08 blew me away and that was befor the free 36000. I mean $465 for a cabin air filter and an oil change? really..but I got used to being kick around by VW service centers. This time..After the first 36000 i will be doing oil/air filter/fuel filter myself. But timeing belt/water pump, and Trans service for that I think a dealer is still a good idea. I live in southern NJ btw

about2buyTDI

TDI
2012 JSW 2.0
Got a call from the dealer, my 2012 JSW TDI is arriving later today (Monday). Any suggestion of things I should make sure the dealer has done before driving away from the dealership?

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Got a call from the dealer, my 2012 JSW TDI is arriving later today (Monday). Any suggestion of things I should make sure the dealer has done before driving away from the dealership?
Filled it full of fuel and give you a hands on tutorial on all the bells and whistles. I came from a car with pretty much none to this so I was overwhelmed.

Congrats and enjoy.