Any Golf TDI problems pulling a trailer?

SkiRep

TDI
2004 Golf GLS, 5 speed, ESP, Cold Weather Package, Splash Guardsd
I recently asked my VW service manager about the viability of using my 2004 Golf TDI 5 speed to pull a 5' x 8' utility trailer. We're talking small loads (under 1000 lbs) once or twice a month and short distances. After reading a number of posts here, I assumed he would say, "no problem." What he said was, "Don't do it. VW transmissions are really not designed for towing."Comments, please... !

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
You shouldn't have asked the service manager. ;) If you're lucky, he hasn't noted it in your vehicle records.

You'll be fine towing that little, assuming weight is properly distributed, and tongue weight is <200 lbs. Short distances/low speeds/flat ground, you could theoretically tow quite a bit more than that.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That's bunk as long as you drive sensibly with the trailer in tow.

I tow this all over the place and I've done it for years ...

Every year, it gets a 3000 km round trip with two bikes on it, too.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That's bunk as long as you drive sensibly with the trailer in tow.

I tow this all over the place and I've done it for years ...

Every year, it gets a 3000 km round trip with two bikes on it, too.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Just be smart... I try not to exceed around 1,500 pounds total. Once you get over that handling and stopping start to become an issue. You don't want your trailer telling your car where to go.

And a better view of my homemade trailer.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The dealer doesn't have a clue. The owners manual (2006 jetta), For the TDI, page 3.3 10, recommends a towing weight of 1000 pounds and a tongue weight of 200 pounds. The gassers, depending on engine and transmission, for some ridiculous reason show higher tow weights with the same tongue weight.

If the dealer, in anyway gives you any crap about towing, show him the owners manual. Just don't confess to toeing more than 1000 pounds.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I towed my golf home with my jetta. Little to no tongue weight with a dolly but very easy to tow. It was really just for a test - I use the powerstroke to tow the heavy stuff normally. I do know that the jetta tows my 4x12 trailer with a snowmobile like it's not even there.

SkiRep

TDI
2004 Golf GLS, 5 speed, ESP, Cold Weather Package, Splash Guardsd
Thanks everyone for all the comments and great photos. I've gone ahead and ordered a Draw-Tite hitch and Tail light Converter from Etrailer.com. At Last I'll be able to get my Xmas tree to the dump!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just get it away from everything and touch a match to it. It will all be gone in 30 seconds or so in the fastest fire you have ever seen. Cut the trunk up and put in trash.

I

ihatespeed

The dealer's covering their ass. in Europe vw will sell you a westphalia hitch factory rated at something like 3500lbs. Us manual says 1000 pounds, Ive done 1500+ a few times, car worked like a champ, stopped handled and pulled fine.
I do have Firestone coil rights, and a 27mm sway bar, I'm sure they help with the ride and handling.

Id either guess it is our ridiculous penchant for litigation in this country or the oems perpetuating the myth that the only suitable tow vehicle is a huge pickup or suv that they lowball the towing capability.

(Regardless of what the manual says I would tow more with the standard than the dsg)

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
well while were into Golfs towing cool stuff...

you should have no problem towing 1000lbs as long as you make sure the tongue weight is correct.