GT1749VA versus GT1749VB?

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
by the way the VB doesn't have a titanium compressor wheel, they're all aluminium on the Garrett range (from VNT 15 to 22 anyway). Titanium is just a myth.

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
Titanium compressor wheel ?

The *real* reason the GT1749VB Turbo handles more boost is its compressor wheels tip height.

It uses a 3mm compressor tip height, the GT1749V uses a 5mm tip height.

The VB's shorter tip height makes it stronger and compress better so it handle a bit more boost

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
Why don't you prove it to me and any interested people as typing those numbers means nothing to me or anyone else.

Seems kerma is one my side I bet Garrett is as well , prove me wrong wisecracka

All you need to ummm... "fit" a 17 comp wheel into a 15 housing is a brake hone. Make the inducer bore larger and Voila! you have a 15/17 hybrid! The 17 wheel fits right in there!

But just because it "fits" without interference does not mean it's ideal. You see the EXDUCER tip height on the 17 is smaller than on the 15. This is how the 17 compressor is rated for higher Pressure while maintaining the same "size" 49mm wheel. (you can't always go by the "wheel size"... sometimes the "smaller" turbo is actually an upgrade if you are only considering one dimension)

That leaves a gap of a couple mm between the compressor housing and wheel, inside, where you can't see it. You can't see this discrepancy just by looking at the turbo from the outside, and it is kind of tricky even for a skilled machinist to measure. But the wheel "fits" in there without interference, it's just not a tight fit that you need for a turbo to work like it should. The gap should be measured in thousanths of an inch, not mm. It will "work" but not as well as if it was done properly. So you are essentially getting 80% of what the upgrade should have been if it was a good match between wheel/housing.

The gap can be brought closer but that requires a bit more complicated machining that I doubt was done, especially at that low price. Especially considering the price is below that of the Garrett warehousing master distributor price for a stock vnt15.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
VA has the same size turbine but bigger compressor, VB has bigger turbine and compressor?

That's my understanding of them anyway. No idea on tips though, way over my head :D

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
One problem with tip size is there are 5 different sizes for the the same wheel.
very confusing ..

the numbers majasty78 posted are just a *small fraction* of the GT15 / GT1749 tip sizes.

Last edited:

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
majesty78 does not have my turbos compressor wheel tip size ?? and I bet about zillion other people have turbos with different tip sizes as well.

One tip size for each turbo ???? Your just wrong please study more before you post corrections.. lol

You have some explaining to do majesty78