fuel transfer pumps for home small home storage

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I have a good source for diesel for 1.35 a gallon which will allow me $$$$$ to buy b100 and mix up my own b20 mixture.

My problem is that I'll be using 15 gallon tanks. I can pick up and carry the tanks. But I sure don't want to hold them up and try to fill up my car

I'd love to find a cheap 12v or 120v pump and possible an inline filter set up.

Any good places to buy this stuff at

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
140.00 pump

they also sell the filter block for 20.00. pump kit, filter block, filter, and small hose for the filter block. Est. cost 200.00
It will take me over 300 gallons of fuel to break even. By then my source of cheap fuel might change.

any other cheaper options?

girl_mark

Veteran Member
Re: fuel transfer pumps for home small home storag

There's a $15 siphon pump for sale at Grainger, Norhtern, hardware stores, etc- it's polyethylene (biodiesel resistant) and you pump it up and down to get the flow started, then it siphons from there on. YOu'd have to siphon into a gas can and then fuel your car, or put the 15 gallon drum on a table or something if your car is in a garage or driveway so you can siphon directlhy into your fuel tank.

Mark

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I use one of these to transfer B100 from a 5 gallon tote that I put on top of the car. To protect from dents I put the tote right where the hatch seam is and protect the finish with soft absorbent material. It works great.

I wouldn't want to lift 15 gallons up there though, you'd have a dent in no time. I suppose just having it in the trunk would be high enough.
Let gravity do the work for you.

P.S. eBay is a little cheaper.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS

That sounds nice--10 bucks for a pump.

BUT:

8oz per "pump", is 16 "pumps" per gallon, and 240! "pumps" for a 15 gallon fill.

Not impossible, but you'll get a workout doing it.

Hmm, I wonder if that wouldn't be a bad setup for me--I have to drive like 20 miles out of my way for B20, and stopped using it for that reason (that, besides price and warrenty fears). A 55gallon drum would last me about a month...

Thrwngstns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
bowlerman,

Are you using one of those Polypropylene pumps? Great price! That is about half what I paid for my set-up. The web site doesn't say how many revs per gallon though.

T_Bone

Surflo makes a 12v RV nitrel diaphram water pump for $80. The marine industry uses them for diesel pumps on boats. Rated 35psi@2.8gpm with a pump switch.

I use one for pumping my #2D thru two filters, one 10micron, one 2micron, and get about 1.5gpm transfer rate. I use a 12v lawn and garden battery.

Any online marine or RV suplier will carry them.

TDICa

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black

Supton, I'm just trying to do my part in keeping US obesity rate in check.
Harbor freight also has the rotary style barrel pumps for $20 - I've seen them on sale for $10. Like bowlerman said, 7 turns/gal. sounds about right.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS

I thought it was 128oz for a gallon--maybe that's weight not fluid oz or something like that ... Hey, it's a good price, you can always buy it and toss it when your arm gives out w/o a second thought.

On second thought... Does a pump like that have rubber gaskets in it, or anything that won't take to biodiesel?

Thrwngstns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta

Does a pump like that have rubber gaskets in it, or anything that won't take to biodiesel?
I think it is excess alcohol in biodiesel that destroys rubber. Northern Tools claims the Polypropylene pump is ideal for acids, alkalies, gasoline, diesel, machine oil, <u>alcohol</u> or water.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.

How about a drill pump? I've used a small one for gathering WVO, but it clogged really easy, should work fine for clean bio. They range in price from 6-11 bux, depending on the flow, just plug it in to your household drill. This one might even work for WVO collection.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...948&R=11948

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
Has anyone used this pump?
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=detail&iid=10627
It says it is suitable for alcohol and gasoline, but not solvents, so I'm unsure if it's suitable for biodiesel. I called the manufacturer, and they were unable to tell me anymore than what the website says. I have found them for $40, which seems like a good price considering they seem to sell most places for over $100.
I would like a pump that doesn't cost too much and will allow me to attach a filter. The one below looks good, but I can't tell if the spout is threaded to allow attaching a filter?

thsi is what i recommend
click here

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Hmmm, I guess they don't have enough bandwirth. Cabela's item number is QS-01-7838. The item is called "Pump & Fill Pressurized Fuel Pump" $24.99 plus shipping.

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
That thing is pretty cool, but I think if I give up on the filter then I'll just get a $10 pump.

Hmmm, I guess they don't have enough bandwirth. Cabela's item number is QS-01-7838. The item is called "Pump & Fill Pressurized Fuel Pump" $24.99 plus shipping.