G235 EGT Sensor Replacement Procedure

walt_mink

TDI
'09 JSW
Hi all,

So, my '09 JSW started throwing a code a couple of days ago. A quick scan with an ODBII scanner showed a P0544, and I followed that up with a borrowed VAG-COM scan (below). It looks pretty cut and dry - the probe is TU.

Can someone please help me with the procedure to replace the G235 EGT sensor? I think I see which one it is, but it looks pretty wedged in there. Has anyone done it, and could you tell me what all you had to pull off to get the probe out?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (CBE) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 997 016 N HW: 03L 906 022 J
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG 8680
Revision: 12H01--- Serial number: VWX7Z0I424B049
Coding: 0050072
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 3D5FEA20646A8EC

2 Faults Found:
001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235)
P0544 - 000 - Circuit Malfunction - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Mileage: 61598 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 11.48 V
Temperature: 4.5°C
Temperature: 930.0°C
Temperature: 0.0°C

001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235)
P0544 - 000 - Circuit Malfunction - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 61598 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 09:13:37

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 989 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 12.31 V
Temperature: 4.5°C
Temperature: 930.0°C
Temperature: 6.0°C

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
I have the same problem. Trying to get VW to take responsibility as I'm 10 minutes out of warranty.

Last edited:

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Best as I can tell, looking at the shop manual, there are two of these sensors next to each other. Don't quite know which one to replace. Dealer say "Black one." This link here, which I got from another thread, shows prices for an orange or a brown one. This is why the car is at the dealer. Plus it does look tight. I was hoping that the oxygen sensor, which is visible on top of the DPF, was the G235, but no such luck, as I later realized it was the 02 sensor.

http://www.ezvwparts.com/partlocator...layCatalogid=0

I had the winter intercooler kit installed last month, but I can't see how there would be a connection between that installation, and this dead sensor. I'm at just under 36k miles, but two months over on my warranty.

Last edited:

walt_mink

TDI
'09 JSW
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't know the powertrain was 5yr/60,000 for this car. I thought it expired at 3/36. That being true, it looks like I'm covered, so my laziness can continue - I'm off to call my dealer. :)

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Powertrain warranty does not cover this. Neither does the Emissions warranty.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't know the powertrain was 5yr/60,000 for this car. I thought it expired at 3/36. That being true, it looks like I'm covered, so my laziness can continue - I'm off to call my dealer. :)

walt_mink

TDI
'09 JSW
Huh. You think? It sure seems to be part of the powertrain to me. I'll have to go look up the specifics.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Powertrain warranty does not cover this. Neither does the Emissions warranty.

you could argue up and down with the dealer, if you have a good report with them they might go to bat for you.

I had rear door lock latch thingy replaced free of charge at 42K becuse the dealer felt it shouldn't have failed this early.

btw for getting at the EGT does the DPF have to come off? engine dropped? how easy are you guys looking at these probes?

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Not very easy to get to, but easy enough. I believe you neede to remove a heat shield on top of the DPF. It's tight, and the probles are on the side facing the engine block. Dealer says $138 labor, so it can't be too hard.

you could argue up and down with the dealer, if you have a good report with them they might go to bat for you.

I had rear door lock latch thingy replaced free of charge at 42K becuse the dealer felt it shouldn't have failed this early.

btw for getting at the EGT does the DPF have to come off? engine dropped? how easy are you guys looking at these probes?

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Update

It appears that VCDS is a better system than the VW shop computer, or my dealer is full of, which seems more likely. Anyway, VCDS was able to show me live readings from each sensor, and only one was giving a bad reading. The dealership, by comparison, claimed they could not tell which sensor was bad until they tested four of them manually. Cost for "diagnosis" is $135 (higher that the $48.95 they initially quoted), PLUS another $135 to, well, return to the same place and actually swap a sensor out. VW, however, will comp the part as a courtesy -- so it's kind of a wash. VW was ok, but the dealer is apparently jumping into the void and grabbing some of the cash that would otherwise have gone to VW for the part.

Or the dealer is telling the truth and this is a more complicated job than it seems.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
they probably had the stance:

we can tell where there's a issue from the code pulled, but if you want us to "dig into" the problem more (IE look up the code then scan the car to find which of the sensors was bad) we'd then have to charge you additional for "trouble shooting".

Pulling codes and trouble shooting are two different things in their book.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
New sensor - mileage up

I have the new sensor now installed. I noticed a significant mpg increase -- this after watching it inch down over the past 8 months or so. My theory is that the sensor was sending bad readings for quite a while, but not bad enough to be implausible and light a CEL. Would a false reading from this sensor (exhaust temp before turbo) cause a mileage drop?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sure, it could lean out the fuel or air or something to try and drop the EGTs, or vice versa, epecially for regens!

walt_mink

TDI
'09 JSW
I forgot to reply to this back then. My dealer replaced the part of what they call 'good will' warranty and all is well. I like Roger Jobs in Bellingham, WA - nice folks.

I'm still getting sort of crap mileage and some stumbling, but I think that might be my MAF going TU. I'm working on getting a VAG-COM hooked up to verify that now.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I have a P242A fault code which translates to EGT sensor circuit bank 1, sensor 3. I will report back once I get a VCDS scan.
mine is the sensor after the particulate filter which showed a temperature of 930C during logging. thanks for the link to replacement part.
mine is the G527 after the DPF. here's the quote I got from Cambridge VW "cripes! 189$ for the part, $260 for labour! for a sensor!"

Last edited:

mlgjr

TDI
09 tdi sedan and 11 tdi sedan
I have the same exact problem as the original post in this thread. I however am not under any warranty and so I am interested in how to fix this. I have read the other threads and have ordered the black sensor that is pre-turbo and apparently hard to get to. I see where someone has taken out the DPF and came in from the top. I also have read the thread where the guy came in from the bottom and removed the exhaust system. Anyone else have any tips on how to remove and install the new sensor? A youtube video would be ideal. Thanks.....

mlgjr

TDI
Woops....forgot to mention that the vehicle in need of repair is my 09 tdi. It has 80k miles on it. I am the second owner. Had it for 20k miles now. Great car other than this sensor issue.

rjdio

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
P0544 egt sensor g235 circuit high

That's my failure. Dealer wants $779 to replace. Seems to think it would have fallen under the 12k adjustment and wear item warranty.

This car has worn out its welcome. Not pleased. Call in to customer care, not holding my breath that they'll do anything.

My big question: how bad is it to drive this thing? Will the dpf get killed? Turbo die? What's the result of the car having a bad egt sensor?

mlgjr

TDI
rjdio.....i am sure people will tell you to not drive the car. I have been driving mine until the part comes in. Mine is not down on power or anything else.....but I am seeing a little lower mpg's. I am thinking it will wear out some of the clean air exhaust stuff by running rich with a faulty sensor. If you ran it a long time....I am sure it will hurt something. I have been running mine for a couple of weeks now. The part should be here anyday. I have a local shop (with a good rep on working on foreign cars) ready for the job. I have a total lack of faith in VW dealerships. Especially since my warranties are over. Went to one in Norther Cal yesterday to purchase oil and an oil filter.....was told the parts dept was not open on weekends. Woof!

rjdio

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the input.

We shall see what customer care comes up with. If I had a heated garage I'd attempt it myself, but looking to be 14 below zero tonight, and that's too darn cold to be laying on a concrete floor for hours.

I'm wondering if this sensor is the next HPFP of this engine... Seems to be more than a couple failures, and at about a grand list price to replace, not boding well.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
I drove mine for a week or so. I don't think you will be able to regen with it broke, so eventually the dpf will clog. I dealt with this in June.

There is no way to remove the DPF and do all this from the top that I could remember. However, I had an alternative motive to remove the exhaust and "do stuff to it" while it was on my garage floor. But seriously... I couldn't even TOUCH this sensor from the top, only the back of the wires. It's under the exhaust manifold where it attaches.

-With your car on the ground and parking break set, pop off the center wheel cap, and break free the axle shaft bolt since it's torqued tight
-Lift the car, high. I put my jack stands on top of 8x8's to get it higher which in retrospect was a little TOO high.
-Remove your axle shaft. You will need the triple star bits. I used a cordless impact to remove them since the wheels would spin if I tried to put a ratchet on it.
-You will have to drift the axle out of the wheel bearing, Use something that will not damage the ends of the axle.
----- Was told someone removed the DPF by only just moving the axle to the side, but I bet they dropped the cars subframe.
-Remove the EGR prefilter from the EGR cooler.
-Mark and unplug all sensors you can get to. I think x2 O2 sensors, and 4 egt sensors. You might have to undo some after the next step
-Remove the DPF. A lot of twisting, and turning and talking to your creator.
- When the DPF is horizontal but not pulled out of the subframe, remove all sensors to make it easier to work on.
-You CAN remove the DPF through the subframe with enough twisting and some gentle massaging of the tin heat sheilding. I literally moved that tin some with the palm of my hand.
-Order x2 exhaust gaskets. They are metal and 1 time use. One for the turbo to dpf, and the DPF to the exhaust flapper.

I have some pictures, but not actually under there while swearing and twisting.... it was too close for pictures.
-`Remove the DPF... a 2010 and newer has a 2 part DPF which is easier.
-

rjdio

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the tips. I was looking at the schematic and it's difficult to say for certain, is this particular sensor before the turbo or immediately after it? The part listing says 'temp sensor before turbine' but it looks like it is after it... Or maybe even in it? Unless the picture is reversed.

I'm just trying to come up with as much ammo as possible to get this covered under some sort of warranty... If drivetrain and the sensor is between two covered parts (engine, turbo) or if emissions (says it has to fail a smog test, and as far as I know if the CEL is on that's a fail).

If anyone has any other grand ideas, I'd be open to hearing them. Pm is fine if you don't care to share with the group.

Thanks, and happy new year.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
G235 is pre turbo, into the exhaust manifold. There is another one just after the turbo (labeled pre DPF sensor) along with an O2 sensor I believe next to it. Then, there is one after the 1st part of the DPF and I believe another after the 2nd part of the dpf, but I forget about that now. I'm 95% there are 4 sensors total. They are all the same, but have longer or shorter cable leads. The plug ends are the same too, they just have little barbs that don't allow you to mix them up. You can shave the barb off and plug into another sensor and check VCDS to see if the connection is severed between the plug and sensor, or the plug and ECU. Most likely it's the sensor.

If found a schematic somewhere that someone labelled the sensors with the "G" codes... I'll see if I can find it...

mlgjr

TDI
Just a quick note to say I got my egt sensor replaced a couple of weeks ago. Honest Engine....a local shop in Eureka, CA did the work and did an outstanding job. They charged me four hours of shop time and I purchased the sensor off Ebay. Once the car did a regen.....all the check engine lights turned themself off. I picked up a couple of mpg's and maybe a little power since the CEL's turned off. So...if you ever need work done on your TDI.....Honest Engine is the place to go. They have been in business for a long time and do great work! My car and I am happy again.......

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
TDIFred: Did you have all your sensors replaced, or just the G495 sensor like you posted above? That's right on the side of the DPF can at the top, and yes that one is easily replaceable from the top along with G448 which is right next to it and G39 Lambda probe (that I mistakenly called an O2 sensor before). I removed those ones from the top before I dropped the DPF can.

I'm sure there might be a special tool to get to it from the top that looks similar to the one I posted above, but I don't see how you could swing it well from the top at least under an MKV hood. The literature I found all of this from was an Audi site.... perhaps different firewalls? Either way, a socket can not fit over the L shaped metal wire support that stands the wires away from hot equipment and protects them from heat. An odd crows foot like style arrangement would have to be utilized unless your arms are the girth of a 12 year old and you can get in there perhaps?