Ball joint replacement questions

radef

Veteran Member
TDI
16 Touareg Executive TDI, 06 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
Hi All,

I've been told for a while by the tire shops that it's time to replace the ball joints on my 98 Jetta. Every place is giving me quotes on the order of $350-400. The break down of the quotes typically has ball joints listed for $120 each and about $110 in labor. Well, I poked around on the forum here and called the local parts store, and I can get the ball joints for $13.99 each (complete kits with the bearing, bolts, retaining plate, etc). Talking with the local Firestone about the huge price difference, they stated that perhaps their computer was pricing out the entire control arm and only calling it a ball joint - or that replacing a ball joint requires replacement of the control arm according to their computer.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Why the huge price difference...

I wouldn't mind attemping the repair myself. I have the lifetime alignment from Firestone, so I can avoid the cost of an alignment if I do the work at home.

Do I need to replace more than the ball joints? Does that whole control arm need replaced?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
radef said:
Hi All,

I've been told for a while by the tire shops that it's time to replace the ball joints on my 98 Jetta. Every place is giving me quotes on the order of $350-400. The break down of the quotes typically has ball joints listed for $120 each and about $110 in labor. Well, I poked around on the forum here and called the local parts store, and I can get the ball joints for $13.99 each (complete kits with the bearing, bolts, retaining plate, etc). Talking with the local Firestone about the huge price difference, they stated that perhaps their computer was pricing out the entire control arm and only calling it a ball joint - or that replacing a ball joint requires replacement of the control arm according to their computer.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Why the huge price difference...

I wouldn't mind attemping the repair myself. I have the lifetime alignment from Firestone, so I can avoid the cost of an alignment if I do the work at home.

Do I need to replace more than the bearings? Does that whole control arm need replaced?

Thanks!
Why?:confused: and you do not need to realign the wheels either, it is an easy plug and play job. Absolutely I would do it myself, for 40 bucks you can have 2 ball joints replaced, why pay $200 or ($350-400), UNLESS you like to be ripped off. What bearings are you talking about?

radef

Veteran Member
TDI
16 Touareg Executive TDI, 06 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
bmwM5power said:
Why?:confused: and you do not need to realign the wheels either, it is an easy plug and play job. Absolutely I would do it myself, for 40 bucks you can have 2 ball joints replaced, why pay $200 or ($350-400), UNLESS you like to be ripped off. What bearings are you talking about?
Ooops... meant ball joints not bearings...

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
you have to replace the control arm if it has an excessive loosiness in the control arm bushings, or if it is bent. If the bushings are not good, I would replace just the bushings, but some prefer to relace the whole control arm because you can buy one with teh bushings already pre-installed

vman858

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta
I just replaced ball joints on mine, it was making noise (roar) and it was both inner cv joints grease was dry. I had them out to replace grease so I replaced the ball joints with the 13 dollar ones, I think. Also did bearings. Could have done whole thing for under 100.00 if I hadn't messed up on cleaning one CV. Note to self mark everything and read entire manual before starting.

I haven't had mine realigned but it seems to be steering good. I am putting on new tires so I am not worried about uneven wear.