5 speed swap sourcing

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I recently picked up a 2003 Jetta TDI with 130,000 miles. Automatic is at the end of its life (not shifting into 4th gear) and I'm looking to do a 5/6 speed swap on it. Where do people typically source the parts for this? I've come across a few threads about it, but they are 3-5 years old. Looking for the most up to date info. I have a request out to dutchautoparts.com for a quote, but is there any other vendors that sell a complete kit for a decent price?

Thanks!

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
If you can; try pick a part lots or such. I managed to source a bunch of the parts from those for minor cost compared to online places. Clutch and flywheel should be bought new from what I'm reading everywhere anyways...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

stomachbuzz

TDI
2000 Golf
Options are limited in numbers, but not an issue if you have $$$

Of course, I’m sure the dealer stocks several of the parts you need, new. That’s the most expensive route which nearly nobody would take. It’s unlikelt they still stock every single part though.

Then you move onto the more feasible options...
There’s actually a vendor on this site who specializes in shipping over 5/6 speed swaps over from Europe. Prices are pretty decent and the reputation is good.

Then you can buy the parts from one of those parts recyclers. Usually unknown condition, unknown mileage, and high prices.

Junkyards. Cheap, pull it yourself. Unknown condition.

Find someone specifically selling a 5 speed swap. These range from $500-$1000. A bit cheaper than the shipped from europe option. Hard to find anything less than 200k miles though.

You could find someone broadly parting out a wrecked/totaled car and make a deal for the swap.

You could buy your own parts car.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
If you are looking for 6sp parts, which were never available to TDIs in the US, Chris Korwan https://www.facebook.com/AWDTDI/ Has been importing half cuts (fwd and awd) with 6speeds that are TDI geared.

5speeds are everywhere fairly cheap. I picked up a 98 Beetle ALH for free for the trans (has the earlier shift tower/cables)