error code p2015 preventing recall repair

steelersvt

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagen
Hello everyone- Ive been waffling between the buy back and repair, and decided with the repair. Dropped it off this am- just got an email saying that the intake manifold (p2015) needs fixed ($1,336). Everything Ive read on this site about 2015 code suggests that its quite common, and that VW's approach to fixing it is to replace all of those components.

It would be a major hassle to sell the car back, and get something else, since I'm not in my home state for 2 more months. Also, I've not found anything at all that would easily replace the vehicle, as I rather enjoy the MT wagon.

Is this something I could call VW about and attempt to get covered? Obviously $1336 makes the repair not worth it. :(

DHud13

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition 6MT
Steelersvt, Did you have the P2015 CEL before bringing it to the dealer for the emissions modification? My understanding is that as long as there are no CEL's prior to fix that any CEL's after the fix are covered by the extended warranty (including the intake manifold). I have heard some owner's indicate that VW will not perform the emissions modification if any CEL's are present.

I just got the emissions modification completed last week (142k miles and no CEL's), but I had the P2015 come on at 127k miles (post September 2015). Didn't see the Diesel Geek "Fix" until after I paid to have the intake manifold replaced (I needed to be able to drive the car). Luckily I was able to use the VW Dealer/Service Loyalty Gift Card to offset some of the cost. I am planning on doing the Diesel Geek "Fix" to prevent future P2015 issues, but I will say that the engine runs much smoother after the intake replacement. The Diesel Geek "Fix" only prevents the P2015 error from occurring by preventing the actuator arm from overextending. I am thinking that removing the intake to clean/lubricate the intake runner flaps every 100k miles might be a good idea too. The dealer also did a fuel system decarb as part of the intake replacement service.

I am planning on keeping my car for a long time, so if you plan on doing the same the repair might be worth it and just do the Diesel Geek "Fix" as a precaution for the future.

steelersvt

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagen
I neglected to mention that I did have the dieselgeek 2015 fix. I removed it prior to bringing it to the dealer, since I think they replace the part it attaches to anyway, and if you forget about the dieselgeek part and leave it on, it would probably get thrown out. My engine runs smooth, but I do notice a rough idle occasionally, perhaps there's more going on in my case. I'll try to seek out a guru on my drive to Vermont and help sort this car out and then get the fix. I'm only the second owner and its got all records since birth.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Don't believe they do anything to the intake motor. I'd say installed the fix, drive it for a bit clear codes and bring it back. Should get the fix no problem.