The "I've got the lower mileage" thread...

pierreracine

TDI
2011 manual white gold Jetta highline
First 500 Km.: 8,4 l./100 Km or 28 mpg. Granted, it was almost entirely stop and go ( in my neighborhood, there's a stretch of approximately 2 miles with 9 stops!) according to my Jetta computer. AND, a very heavy foot ( good for the engine), not always but often.

Still, I'm a bit surprised...

That said my 2007 Rabbit would probably have achieved even less, like 10.5 to 11 l./100 Km.

OK. Back to thread: anyone beats me?

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
You won't achieve good mileage until you are past the break in period. My first fills were bad on the mpg scale, but they improved as time went on. I remember my first tank was empty after only 450km. After the first 10-15,000 it went up to about 800, at 50,000 up to about 1000, and now at 75,000 at about 1100-1200.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
You won't achieve good mileage until you are past the break in period. My first fills were bad on the mpg scale, but they improved as time went on. I remember my first tank was empty after only 450km. After the first 10-15,000 it went up to about 800, at 50,000 up to about 1000, and now at 75,000 at about 1100-1200.
So by 100,000 you should be pushing 1500km/tank? :). I kid!!! :D

I think this is more of a competition among who is getting the lowest and not about improving.

My lowest so far is 32mpg but I don't think that is very accurate as at that time I wasn't filling the tank to the top of the filler. But it was probably between 32-34mpg.

bucilini

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
So here is my story..2 kids wife and i + some stuff in the trunk Highway only, under 65mph light on the gas 20% hills, mostly flat after, 45mpg according the the display. Once i go with the traffic 75-80 it drops to 42mpg Once i reach town stop and go, it drops to 38 then 36 then 34... settles around 32 when driving around in the town. "average for a trip door to door i'd say is around 38mpg" I still havent gone a full tank mostly highway miles (like others) to see what it can do. I'm sure it would do at least 550 miles. I never push it... i have too many gray hairs already. MPG is very dependent on your driving terrain... if its mostly flat and you're going under 65... you should be doing good. If you're like most people going 75-80mph hills here and there, stop and go you'll see 36mpg average

musicmeds

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI LE - manual - toffee Metallic/cornsilk
I've got 1000miles on mine (i've put about 600 of that on, still on my first full fill up as the owner, I live in the philadelphia suburbs and it is traffic hell. I commute 33miles round trip each day to work up and down hills and through 17 stop lights one way. I'm averaging about 28-30mpg depending on mood. my 01' audi A4 1.8T was getting 21 to 22mpg at best on the same route. I will certainly take 8mpg more as it will add up to quite the savings over a year with gas prices in the north east.

so yeah mines pretty low, glad to hear it will get better if even by a couple mpg.

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
To the OP, it really won't matter whether you have 1K or 50K miles on your car if your usual route is 10-20 miles of stop and go. Nothing short of an electric car will net you good efficiency. It takes a while for the car to warm up and prolonged idling and repeated acceleration-deceleration are the ultimate mpg killers. Throw in A/C use in the summer and upper 20s are pretty reasonable. Most of my driving is "city" driving with many traffic lights. Fortunately, I do have longer stretches without the stops that allows me to get mpg in the low 40s. So, it totally depends on your route. I doubt you're doing much wrong, though a heavy foot doesn't help.

ltheriau

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
My absolute worst numbers are 13,4 l./100 Km or 21.1 mpg (Imperial) at about 6000kms on the Odo.

We had a cold snap in the weather, and this was around town in stop and go traffic.

I had about 200kms on the tank at the time, and refulled because we were going out of town.