Road trip distance?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Fall season, one of the best times for traveling!
Hotels are low volume, roads are less traveled and seasonal foliage change makes this time of year probably one of the most memorable ones...

For anyone traveling away from home:
check front wheel bearings more than once,
bring a quart or two of correct SYN oil,
additional fuel filter in a plastic ZIP bag,
LOTS of music for those "dead" miles,
notepad to jot down vehicle and other interesting stuff...

Make it memorable, lots of PICS. and ZIG ZAG along the way to see more items en route.

I WILL be making a return trip to Houston from Sacramento this mid October via Phoenix. 1,950+ miles.
(my cheeks are hurting already...:()

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Fall season, one of the best times for traveling!
Hotels are low volume, roads are less traveled and seasonal foliage change makes this time of year probably one of the most memorable ones...

For anyone traveling away from home:
check front wheel bearings more than once,
bring a quart or two of correct SYN oil,
additional fuel filter in a plastic ZIP bag,
LOTS of music for those "dead" miles,
notepad to jot down vehicle and other interesting stuff...

Make it memorable, lots of PICS. and ZIG ZAG along the way to see more items en route.

I WILL be making a return trip to Houston from Sacramento this mid October via Phoenix. 1,950+ miles.
(my cheeks are hurting already...:()
I did the rear wheel bearing and brakes before I went to az few weeks ago 2 days after I got back the front left one went out. I may go ahead and do the other one put them all new at the Same time.

JHMartin

TDI
Proud Owner: 2009 2.0 Jetta
NM to NE - 1700 miles

Got a call from my daughter at UNL weekend before last wanting me to come up to her 1st NCAA match.

Looked at airfare from NM to NE 1 week out ($800) and thought ...
"Take the TDI!".

ABQ-->Dalhart-->Dodge City-->Lincoln --- pretty much 80 mph and 41.5mpg
Very stiff wind and rain coming home and still got 38mpg

Whoops, got stopped once in OK on the way home ... but the cop was a Nebraska fan from Kearny and I had my Nebraska shirt on ... only gave me a warning.:eek:

VWaGoGo

TDI
MKVI Golf Blue Graphite | 1978 Rabbit L Montana Biege
Boyfriend bought a brand spanky new Jetta Sportwagen last month, after having the VWagen for 5 days, we took our first road trip in it from San Diego to Yosemite to Big Sur down Hwy 1 back to San Deigo. Put 1500 miles on that sweet baby within 7 days of ownership. Broke her in RIGHT!

3 weeks later, I bought a 2014 Golf TDI! Have had it for 10 days now. =)

Maicoman

TDI
09 jetta
Last fall from central NJ to Old Quebec City. Loved every minute of driving and eating.
May be going to Mobile Bay Alabama from central NJ next month, can't wait.
09 Jetta 6 speed

wagenmoxie

TDI
2013 sportwagen
i own a small business and use all three of my diesels seeing customers all over usa. From ga. the first year in the sportwagen, saw customers from georgia to dallas tx to phoenix to los angeles and back thru a northern route. then north from ga to long island and back. This is one brilliant auto that i like better than our Ml 320. this week i am local. North ga mtns to augusta, ga to charleston, sc to orlando fl. have to decide who to see on the way back. looking for new tires any suggestions?

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Boyfriend bought a brand spanky new Jetta Sportwagen last month, after having the VWagen for 5 days, we took our first road trip in it from San Diego to Yosemite to Big Sur down Hwy 1 back to San Deigo. Put 1500 miles on that sweet baby within 7 days of ownership. Broke her in RIGHT!

3 weeks later, I bought a 2014 Golf TDI! Have had it for 10 days now. =)
You're barely broken in...

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Out of the Blue

Drove to Edmonton during a sunny Day (1,100 km) :cool: and the next Day to Saskatchewan (another 650 km). Today and tomorrow I'll drive back the return trip. Up here had a FLAT. So - the 12 year old Spare got a good workout. Will stop at a Dealer in Alberta (Hardly NO TAX) and get a new one. Spare goes back as a Spare.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Back

Drove to Edmonton during a sunny Day (1,100 km) :cool: and the next Day to Saskatchewan (another 650 km). Today and tomorrow I'll drive back the return trip. Up here had a FLAT. So - the 12 year old Spare got a good workout. Will stop at a Dealer in Alberta (Hardly NO TAX) and get a new one. Spare goes back as a Spare.

Back at Home after close to 4,000 km within 5 days. Could not find the right tire in Camrose or Leduc (Nisku). Those guys in Leduc )NISKU KAL TIRE) are a Michelin Dealer, but had never heard of that tire.... Boy oh Boy. So I drove all the way with no spare tire. This trip brought me into the 200,000 mile club..... Now it's World Cup Soccer watching time!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
NY to SC

Road trip was fantastic ,the TDI was just great... I was able to get 702.4 miles while avg between 65-70 mph avg for a 45.6 mpg avg, :)we still had 45 miles showing on MFI could have pushed for more but was satisfied with the trip on one tank.

turneim

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, 2003 Wagen GLS
My 2001 has 304 on it and it runs like it has 80. I love it, but it may not last forever.

I found a nice '03 GLS wagon in Phoenix. It checked out, so next week I will drive from Phoenix to Sedona, onto Grand Canyon, then to Santa Fe, Houston, New Orleans, Athens AL and back to Connecticut. Looking forward to it. Stopping to see friends and make new ones along the way.

Great car! Should be fun!

Doozy

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline
A few years ago my wife and I drove from Vancouver to Inuvik on the Cassiar and Dempster highways, really a beautiful drive. We have also driven the Alaska highway but the Cassiar is really a much more picturesque road, less traffic (almost no trucks!) and far more animal sightings than what we saw on the Alaska highway. As mentioned earlier in this thread, late August early September is a nicer time to go in my opinion. All the kids are headed back to school so the traffic is light and campgrounds are easy to find a spot.
The Dempster is a highspeed packed gravel road with 2 free ferries to get to the end. It is also built up high to insulate the permafrost, so the view, over the mostly short trees, goes to the horizon. Unfortunately we were in an RV but now that we have a Jetta TDI I'm looking forward to a return trip in it.
cheers, Mark in Montreal

Doozy

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline
Thanks romad, that's pretty close to the trip we took, thanks for the link.

Our route

The Dempster

Dempster profile

Big Bear

Mommy Bear

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
just filled up the NB and this was a good indication of how far it will now go. about 1600 km
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=ee9b2ef6ad&view=att&th=14811d79c3cd65cd&attid=0.1&disp=safe&zw

The mileage just keeps going up with this super head. This is a 50 mile trip from Rutledge, Ga up to Athens Ga. This is an uphill drive and what I averaged. This is when I arrived at the machine shop and before I turned the motor off. wow.
what is this about 130 kpm
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=ee9b2ef6ad&view=att&th=14811cea23a731a4&attid=0.1&disp=safe&zw

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I wonder what the minimum distance for "us" (the TDI'rs) to call the trip a ROAD TRIP?
It has zilch to do with mileage and I never called any of my tours road trips.

You missed the most important aspect...how interesting the roads are to drive. Its why I head to the Alps every summer to ride.

daunteburks

TDI
1999 Jetta
Sacramento to Fort Worth

I drove from Sacramento to Dallas with a stop in Albuquerque. The 1st day took me about 14 hours from Sac into Albuq. I went a little over 550 miles in my '99 Jetta TDI, filled up in Havasu City, Az and made it into Albuq. Drive was great, I thought if I left at 4am I'd avoid the majort heat of the Mojave, boy was I wrong. By the time I got to Bakersfield about 3.5 hours into the drive, it was hot as hell, and Havasu City was on fire! However once I got into Arizona, there were clouds and the weather was cool, New Mexico had rain and the temp was in the low 80's. It was great, there were some nice mountains to look at along the drive, I stopped and took some photos of the Colorado River. Stayed in New Mexico for a few days then drove into Forth Worth that took about 7.5 hours. Texas wasn't nearly as scenic as Az and New Mexico. But I made it 1600+ miles and filled up 4 times coming to Texas, only cause the place where I bought diesel from in New Mexico wasn't very good, I didn't get 450 miles to my tank.

On the way back, I made it to Sacramento on 3 fill ups + $10 in diesel. Great trip had a fun time. I'm loving the fuel economy of the car, I love the ride and I doubt I'll ever buy another car that isn't a manual VW diesel engine car, its too much fun! I'm planning to drive to Florida in a month or 2 after I figure out how to increase my mpg in the car.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Planning on a trip Next week OCT 7th, to fly into Cleveland OH, to buy a car that used to be owned by one of the longtime TDIers here........ and drive it all the way back to California.

From Cleveland, down to Columbus, then to Indianapolis.... then down to Oklahoma City, then to Denver, Salt Lake City, then back to Northern California.

I figure the total mileage will be about 2100, all in one week.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Better plan on possible delay getting into Cleveland with Chicago Center out.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
Bought my Golf in Atlanta and drove home to Detroit two weeks ago. 750 miles. solo. 11 hours. Long day!

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Better plan on possible delay getting into Cleveland with Chicago Center out.

Is it still out ? Darn....... I have the early flight , supposed to change in MDW Airport , then get into Cleveland >>>>>>

Still one more week out before I fly.

Are you going to the san pablo GTG

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Is it still out ? Darn....... I have the early flight , supposed to change in MDW Airport , then get into Cleveland >>>>>>

Still one more week out before I fly.

Are you going to the san pablo GTG
Yes, they say it'll be several weeks before everything is totally replaced–something like 27 of their 29 servers were destroyed was one report.

As for San Pablo, I'll only be down on Sunday as I don't have any work that needs to be done; besides all of Justin's slots are filled. Will you be bringing the new car?

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
highender---local news at lunch said that ORD and MDW at 85% capacity combined (I did not catch the breakdown), they seem to be doing an admirable job of off-loading the capacity. Probably still going to be best to call about your flight the night before. Good luck on your trip home.

ko2222

TDI
03 Golf GLS TDI, 04 Golf GLS TDI
Just did Calgary AB to Santa Monica, CA, few stops in between. Total trip distance 5987KM, steering rack went during the trip, not surprising as it had 360K when I started, but other than that pulled like a dream and she is all fixed now. Did 7 hours straight after work in a blizzard at night and made it to Helena Montana at 1am. Left Helena, drove 13 hours straight to Las Vegas, 4 1/2 hours to Palm Springs CA, 2 Hours from Palm to the Santa Monica Pier. Did the drive bymself the way down, picked up two friends on way back (still drove all the way back bymyself, they too hungover from Vegas haha). Good times.

Don't think I have ate so much beef jerky and energy drinks in my entire life during that road trip. Lol.

Last edited:

Georgia_Boy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Longest trip at ine pop with one stop for fuel and 2 at rest stops was last year from Gainesville, FL to Wisconsin Dells. I believe it was around 1300. I burnt up my front wheel bearings on the trip back. Last week I drove to Fayetteville, NC and back in one day. That was about 975 miles and 14 hours due to snow and ice. Which was a first driving in for me.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
We've got a nice tour set up for this summer. 3 week vaction, driving to Rushmore, Yellowstone, Little Big Horn, Glacier, Seattle, San Francisco, then turn towards home. On the way back we'll drive Mt Evans and Pikes Peak in Colorado. Added bonus is visiting with some of my service brothers along the way. Distance adds up to about 6900 miles.

SilverJ06

TDI
2006 MkV
Our first road trip in the Jetta was from Ottawa Ontario to Sebastian, Florida.
In late August of 2012.

Not only great mileage, but handles the weather pretty well, too!

qsabe

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
Our first road trip in the Jetta was from Ottawa Ontario to Sebastian, Florida.
In late August of 2012.

Not only great mileage, but handles the weather pretty well, too!
My break in trip from Michigan went that rout. Lots of Quebec plates in Key West. Then we had a discussion about the best Buffalo wings, so went to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo to start with the originals. Then a few more stops roaming on that one and we ended up in Bar Harbor, Maine for lobster. A few down to Virginia and West Virginia for ham, on to the Carolinas for crab cakes. Back to Florida to visit a friend where we had great shrimp caught off a bridge with a net. Maine again last year returning through Canada in the Maritimes then Quebec and Ontario. Good smoked meat in Montreal? Went to a wedding on Seal Beach near Long Beach, CA during 2013. Three weeks to get there after stopping in the rout 66 towns, then the parks in N.M. , AZ, Utah coming back through California parks, Yosemite and such on to Vegas, up through Wyoming to Duluth and down Michigan to home. It's spring now, so will be taking the Jetta out of storage soon, Seattle and Vancouver are beckoning. My GPS is programmed for no toll roads so we can drive back country and actually visit and see places at a pace less than freeway speeds.

Wish I could count on ULS fuel in Mexico, I wandered around there with a VW Bus for a few months in 88, would like to go back.